Arachnopeon
can you help me ?

i want to know the scorpions that are parthenogenic

thank you for your response!

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
aww crap...i know this one....gimme some time I've had very little sleep
H. hottentota/Hottentotta caboverdensis(I'm not sure on the taxonomy right now)
T. stigmurus
L. australasiae
ummm.....

OBmorf

Arachnopeon
Hottentotta hottentotta (Fabricius, 1787)
Hottentotta caboverdensis Lourenco & Ythier, 2006
Centruroides gracilis (Latreille, 1804)
Ananteris coinaui Lourenço, 1982
Tityus serrulatus (Lutz & Mello, 1922)
Tityus uruguayensis (Borelli, 1901)
Tityus columbianus (Thorell, 1876)
Tityus metuendus Pocock, 1897
Tityus stigmurus (Thorell, 1876)
Tityus trivittatus Kraepelin 1898
Liocheles australasiae (Fabricius, 1775)

And Hottentotta "nigrocarinatus" - if You say, that it is not synonime

You can read it in:
PARTHENOGENESIS IN SCORPIONS: SOME HISTORY – NEW DATA
LOURENÇO W. R.

Cheers, Oskar

OBmorf

Arachnopeon
Can You give me any reliable references/soruces ? I think that female of I. maculatus can accumulate fluid from spermatophore for long time, but it is not parthenogenic...

Cheers

Last edited:

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I didnt know that C. gracilis was a parthenogenic species. That just makes me want some even more.

Vincent

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I recall correctly only C. gracilis from Cuba is parthenogenetic.

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It seems interesting to me that C. gracillis from Cuba are parthenogenetic and the ones in the US are not.
Are their any that live in the keys or some of the other Caribbean islands that show parthenogeneic traits similar to the Tityus sp. that breed male/female as well as female clones.
This would be a great project for some grad student that wants to chase bugs all summer in the Caribbean. It would be a really tough field study if you ask me. :}

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
and some more, see...

Seiter, Michael (2012). Developmental stages and reproductive biology in Tityus confluens Borelli, 1899 and Tityus ocelote (Francke & Stockwell, 1987) (Scorpiones, Buthidae). Revista Ibérica de Aracnología 21: 113-118.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ten of the known parthenogenetic species belong to the family Buthidae, i.e.: Centruroides gracilis (Latreille), Tityus columbianus (Thorell), Tityus metuendus Pocock, Tityus serrulatus Lutz & Mello, Tityus stigmurus (Thorell), Tityus trivittatus Kraepelin, Tityus uruguayensis Borelli, Ananteris coineaui Lourenço, Hottentotta hottentotta (Fabricius), Hottentotta caboverdensis Lourenço & Ythier, Tityus neblina Lourenço and one member of the family Liochelidae, i.e. Liocheles australasiae (Fabricius) (Lourenço, 2008; Lourenço & Cloudsley-Thompson, 2010). And the newest one is Tityus confluens Borelli (Seiter, 2012).

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks, Michael. Good to see that T. confluens was consistent enough to make the list.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, cantthinkofone this should be sticky, but don't expect the mods to react to these type of hints.....You would have more luck getting their attention if you would type a "naughty" word here, then, ten mods would be all over you.....