Liquid vs. Resin preservation?

fttwinmomma

Arachnopeon
Hey all I'm trying to get advice on which method would be better. I unfortunately lost one of my favorite slings(a strimi I named Pennywise McCuddles, just cuddles for short) yesterday. I'm pretty sad about it but I need to figure out how I can successfully preserve him. And also what I should do with him in the meantime? I have read that if I were to use clear resin that I have to be careful of a mess that could come from his abdomen. I figure this is why liquid preservation in a glass vial might be best. Anyways I'm just looking for advice. So bummed over losing him(even though he was a little guy, only maybe .5 in?) because he was such a crazy entertaining little thing... :cry:

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
Sorry for your loss.

Since he's only a half inch I'd do the liquid preservation in a vial. The resin is a lot of trouble to go through so I wouldn't bother unless it was a larger specimen. But I think most people would just throw out or bury such a small sling.

fttwinmomma

Arachnopeon
Yeah I know that most people would throw em out but I kinda wanna keep this little guy around.. Weird I know lol. Any simple liquid methods? I've seen I can preserve him later in hand sanitizer(doesn't sink to the bottom of the vial) but I have to preserve him in alcohol first. Also what type of alcohol?

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
Yeah I know that most people would throw em out but I kinda wanna keep this little guy around.. Weird I know lol. Any simple liquid methods? I've seen I can preserve him later in hand sanitizer(doesn't sink to the bottom of the vial) but I have to preserve him in alcohol first. Also what type of alcohol?
Since he's so small, I wouldn't bother going through the whole long process with him. It takes months to properly preserve something in alcohol. If I were you, I'd just stick it straight into hand sanitizer. With such a small specimen it doesn't take much to dry it out using alcohol, so you shouldn't have any issues. If it looks a bit cloudy after a while you can just move it into fresh hand sanitizer.