Linothele megatheloides wet molt.

Denn

Dipluridae Enthusiast
Old Timer
One of my Linothele megatheloides molted last night, shamefully a wet molt. Also lost a leg.

Had seemed in prime shape so kinda gutted really. It’s moving around even with every leg crooked, chances of survival probably still low, but who knows, could get lucky.

Also yet another confirmed male of this species. Still haven’t managed to raise a female.

IMG_3765.jpeg

IMG_3766.jpeg

Last edited:

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
oh no, i personally havent experienced such a disastrous molt with any of my spiders yet, very sad

L. megatheloides are awesome, maybe next time will be the charm

did you think there was anything that could have contributed to the situation or was it purely bad luck?

Last edited:

Denn

Dipluridae Enthusiast
Old Timer
oh no, i personally havent experienced such a disastrous molt with any of my spiders yet, very sad

L. megatheloides are awesome, maybe next time is the charm

did you think there was anything that could have contributed to the situation oor was it purely bad luck?
This is the second wet molt I’ve had with any of my spiders. The first was with a male Avic avic, was god knows how long ago, maybe 15 years or so. Really doesn’t seem all that common.

Linothele really are awesome. Diplurids are my favorite spiders, always been amazed by them. I’ve still got 2 unsexed juvi megatheloides and the other male I have, hopefully I get a female out of the juvi’s, I’d like to hope I do :rofl:

In both cases there wasn’t anything in particular that I felt I could have done differently so I put it down to bad luck. At the time of the first one I looked a lot into possible causes and there was virtually no factual information. There still doesn’t seem to be, only assumptions.

The only correlation between the two were males going through what I believed to be a penultimate molt but I’m not giving that too much food for thought.

I keep all my Diplurids the same except from my Harminicon and feed them all dubias and crickets, occasionally meal/super worm.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
This is the second wet molt I’ve had with any of my spiders. The first was with a male Avic avic, was god knows how long ago, maybe 15 years or so. Really doesn’t seem all that common.

Linothele really are awesome. Diplurids are my favorite spiders, always been amazed by them. I’ve still got 2 unsexed juvi megatheloides and the other male I have, hopefully I get a female out of the juvi’s, I’d like to hope I do :rofl:

In both cases there wasn’t anything in particular that I felt I could have done differently so I put it down to bad luck. At the time of the first one I looked a lot into possible causes and there was virtually no factual information. There still doesn’t seem to be, only assumptions.

The only correlation between the two were males going through what I believed to be a penultimate molt but I’m not giving that too much food for thought.

I keep all my Diplurids the same except from my Harminicon and feed them all dubias and crickets, occasionally meal/super worm.
yea, didnt expect it, but asking never hurts

nice, i think my male matured about 3 molts prior to the females, if yours are all about the same size, i'd say you got good chances still

Denn

Dipluridae Enthusiast
Old Timer
yea, didnt expect it, but asking never hurts

nice, i think my male matured about 3 molts prior to the females, if yours are all about the same size, i'd say you got good chances still
I want to try to breed them so fingers crossed! Will probably also pick up a few more at some point.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I want to try to breed them so fingers crossed! Will probably also pick up a few more at some point.
same, i am currently raising another unsexed one in hopes of a male and a friend is raising another 2 so hopefully we will be able to breed them sooner than later

i do want to get some other Diplurids in the future as well, they are truly marvelous to keep

Macrothele gigas would be a dream

i'd love to see some pictures of your collection, perhaps you could add some to the gallery?

Denn

Dipluridae Enthusiast
Old Timer
same, i am currently raising another unsexed one in hopes of a male and a friend is raising another 2 so hopefully we will be able to breed them sooner than later

i do want to get some other Diplurids in the future as well, they are truly marvelous to keep

Macrothele gigas would be a dream

i'd love to see some pictures of your collection, perhaps you could add some to the gallery?
I’ve been trying to get hold of a few Macrothele gigas for a few years now. When I manage to source some I will probably grab enough to attempt a breeding project. I have a really cool Thai Funnel Web that creates trap doors that is rather similar in appearance, just no way near as large. It’s the angriest spider I’ve ever owned! Also a pet hole that you basically never see shamefully.

Atmetochilus songsangchotei (Thai Funnel)
A2138204-1B0D-40CD-8171-6F46BCDC8EDB.gif

Here is a photo of about 85% of my spider collection taking up all the space I can spare. The rest is at my friends house, mostly the large enclosures, exo terras etc (mostly pet holes and arboreals) that I’m waiting to bring home once my “workshop” is finished and I have the space. I will take individual photos at some point but it’s rather time consuming as you can imagine.

IMG_3772.jpeg

2017, I gave away or sold a huge amount of my collection. Firstly I had a partner that did not tolerate spiders and was rather controlling in that aspect, when we broke up I was also homeless for a time being, so that further destroyed my collection. The things you do when you love someone, aye. Due to this, lot of what you see here are young spiders that do not require a lot of space and have not reached adulthood as I slowly rebuild. I currently have exactly 40 spiders after yesterdays Davus pentaloris addition!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I thought they are Linothele sericata are they not?

Denn

Dipluridae Enthusiast
Old Timer
I thought they are Linothele sericata are they not?
It was revised again and placed back to megatheloides. If I remember correctly, it happened during a recent survey in which they identified 35+ new Linothele sp.