Lets see your T and enclosure!

Nichole

Arachnopeon
OKAY!! i just edited this. and Yes, I know its in the wrong place, but forgive me, I am new. I have also never EVER started a thread here or anywhere else for that matter. But I cant really delete it now can I?

Before anyone else comments The enclosure is the FIRST photo I took, it was all peat moss. and yes it was thin. But the new one has about 3.5 inches of Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate topped with a layer of the peat moss. I added that on top because she was sinking down a bit when she walked and I dont think she liked it very much because climbed onto the limb. As far as the limb goes, its mounted to a plate so it wont fall on her. as far as her falling, she almost NEVER climbs on any of the things in her tank. She spends all her time in the right back corner beside the limb, legs half resting on the wall, half on the ground.

Attachments

Last edited:

peterock44

Arachnopeon
i realize your new here so ill help ya out before some less tactful people start in on ya. a simple search will provide you with many many enclosure pictures. and the genus galleries are chocker block full of peoples tarantulas for your viewing pleasure.

now as for your enclosure you need to add way (and i mean way) more substrate. if your smithi should climb the glass and have a fall there is a high likelyhood of an injury with only that thin layer of substrate. the substrate should be about 1.5 times the legspan of your t fromt he top of the enclosure. this will help avoid any injurys from falling. plus the added bonus is so smithis can be bull dozers and you'll get to see it randomly redecorate the whole enclosure. i see a strong light at the top of the enclosure, if that stays on permenantly (except when your sleeping if this is your room) then thats a no go as well.

ok have fun with the boards, theres alot of info here to be had, many enthusiasts, and some very knowledgable people

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Your T is beautiful, and I like your enclosure, but I agree with peterock44. You need way more substrate; I mean like fill like 60% to 70% full of sub. I would also get rid of the wood. You don't want her crawling on it and falling off.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"This forum is for scientific questions and discussions pertaining to Tarantulas and discussing items with widespread repercussions to the hobby."

That being said, nice T you've got there. I'll also echo others comments on substrate depth.

Nichole

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I actually have never done a thread on ANY site, so this was my first ever. I am aware that its in the wrong place but there isnt really much I can do about that now.

As far as my enclosure goes, this was the very first one i built and I've changed it since then. Everything is still the same place but there IS more substrate. Of two different kinds. As for the log, Its attatched to a base under said substrate so it doesnt fall. She also doesent like to climb. and also doesnt like to dig. The most she does is silk down the corner and lean her legs on the glass. The light is not constantly on, it is a desk light and only gets turned on when i want to take her out, feed her, or need to see inside the tank better.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The "Vivariums and Terrariums" subforum here has a bunch of good pictures you can look at.

ArkGullwing

Arachnosquire
OMG I SEE A HUGE PROBLEM!!

There's a creeper about to blow up your enclosure!