Let's go to the desert!

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In Apple Valley near the rocks. Tons of those beetles and we've seen tarantula hawks but so far no Ts. :/
I might be too late, but if you're looking for a nice swim after a hike in Apple Valley, you should check out the Deep Creek hot springs. That was one of my favorite spots in the area.

Hearing about all the fun collecting trips makes me wish I hadn't moved north! I used to live in Riverside county -- definitely lots of good tarantula/bug/herp hunting spots around there.

Trailblazr80

Arachnosquire
In Apple Valley near the rocks. Tons of those beetles and we've seen tarantula hawks but so far no Ts. :/
Thanks! I'm not too familiar with the area, but I will definitely look into it. I'm guessing it's a rock climbing area so I just might make a day trip and do a little of both! Good luck with your tarantula search.

---------- Post added 04-21-2014 at 11:20 AM ----------

I might be too late, but if you're looking for a nice swim after a hike in Apple Valley, you should check out the Deep Creek hot springs. That was one of my favorite spots in the area.

Hearing about all the fun collecting trips makes me wish I hadn't moved north! I used to live in Riverside county -- definitely lots of good tarantula/bug/herp hunting spots around there.
Sounds like fun! I have heard of Deep Creek hot springs, but never been. I'll have to look into it.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Okay, so after some thinking, I'm highly interested in the algodones dunes.. it's a massive area, so there's plenty of habitat.

What do you guys think? If i can remember correctly, you're allowed to park on coachella canal rd, which is right next to the dunes.

(We want the vegetated regions, not the bare regions)

Trailblazr80

Arachnosquire
Okay, so after some thinking, I'm highly interested in the algodones dunes.. it's a massive area, so there's plenty of habitat.

What do you guys think? If i can remember correctly, you're allowed to park on coachella canal rd, which is right next to the dunes.

(We want the vegetated regions, not the bare regions)
Sounds good.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
BLM. Snerk snerk.

Forest Rape Inc.: A regulation? Oh ****!
BLM: Yes, sir! Where? How much do you want? Rubber stamp a few logging permits? Look the other way while you fill in a few spawning creeks? Want some wetlands to trash and pollute? We're always happy to oblige your every whim!

Last edited:

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
I want to come! I need to learn some good spots and I think it would be fun to get to know the community :)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I want to come! I need to learn some good spots and I think it would be fun to get to know the community :)
Bring your parents! This could be fun, as camping is permitted at the dunes.. plus if youve got the money, you can rent a dune buggie and have loads of fun!

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
My homeschool teacher will actually probably bring me, as my parents are ALWAYS busy :) Sounds like a lot of fun, can't wait!

Trailblazr80

Arachnosquire
I almost went last weekend, but there was rain and very high winds. It's May now, and it's probably better to go soon because it is already starting to warm up over there. I say anytime between now and the next couple of weeks. After that, monthly forecasts show it in the 100's +.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I almost went last weekend, but there was rain and very high winds. It's May now, and it's probably better to go soon because it is already starting to warm up over there. I say anytime between now and the next couple of weeks. After that, monthly forecasts show it in the 100's +.
It has been extremely hot in palm desert and southward for 3 months already. By now the vegetation from the recent rains has all wilted and the bloom is over with, which is why i was trying to get everyone to go earlier. Everything has been wide awake and active for quite some time already. Which i already said quite a while ago o_O

...are you all simply just procrastinating or shy? Dont worry. I'm the king of weirdoes, heck, i'll put the weirdness on full-blast so you feel normal, and I'll even spit when I talk!

srsly though, LETS GO.. AGGGHHHHHRRGHH

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
It has been extremely hot in palm desert and southward for 3 months already. By now the vegetation from the recent rains has all wilted and the bloom is over with, which is why i was trying to get everyone to go earlier. Everything has been wide awake and active for quite some time already. Which i already said quite a while ago o_O

...are you all simply just procrastinating or shy? Dont worry. I'm the king of weirdoes, heck, i'll put the weirdness on full-blast so you feel normal, and I'll even spit when I talk!

srsly though, LETS GO.. AGGGHHHHHRRGHH
Im with him, let's just go! It sounds so great, I'm itching to go hunting. Heck, I could go right this minute XD

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Okay. I'm an antique. I remember when Apple Valley was a run down tourist trap all about Roy Rogers without another building in sight in any direction.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Let's go next weekend!
Cool, it'll be a long drive though, just a heads-up. maps estimated a 2-3 hour trip.

They say short term visitation is free, or something to that effect, i wasnt able to get more information because it's almost 3 am.. I did see "entering fee area" signs, so i guess the permit itself is still required, i have no idea.

You can purchase a cheap UV rayovac flashlight for ten bucks from walmart. I have one. (be advised you cannot capture the glow of scorpions with cameras with these UV lights.)They work though! -we should see plenty of sand-treaders which glow a faint blue under UV, they are quite abundant, so they can be unnerving sometimes, lol.

You can also find multi-packs of TechLite lumen master flashlights, which are very powerful LED flashlights. You can illuminate an entire hillside with these. Im not sure if they're sold separately.

It would probably be best to go from the evening to night, not sure if we'll need a permit, but it should be crawling with paruroctonus and smeringerus at the very least, Wolf spiders will be out. I know nothing of the diversity, really, just a few key animals.. The BEST hunting will be late at night, at LEAST by midnight. As it progresses later, more animals will venture out. For the best time, we Must go at night. It would be sweet if camping a single night was considered short-term!

You will need or want the following:

GAS MONEY Since this is a long drive (three hours), 206s mile from my home, i have no idea how much it'll cost. I can likely get around 40-50 bucks or so to pitch in. If we can all pitch in this amount, it should be enough, correct? (also taking into account camping fees if a permit is required for overnight stays) I tried to save for a while, but it ended up being too long.

Flash-Lights (good ones!, bringing an older flashlight with a weaker light is useful for detecting wolf spiders, as the weaker light will still pick up their eyeshine, rendering them more visible.)

Goggles: (in case of high winds and blowing sand)

A scarf will help, as well. I'll be bringing one, it would be wise for you as well.

A WATER/Canteen (I'll also be supplying water, but im only one person so try to at least bring a few bottles of your own!)

Benedryl/antihistamine tablets (in case of stings or bites, will greatly reduce the pain and swelling- taking antihistamines before the symptoms get worse will help!)

Snake boots! (im without them, but i can spot sidewinders, so I'm all good.) -would be a good insurance item to bring! Bringing a long stick with you to probe areas you're unsure of would be VERY wise. That way you can trigger a strike before you'd normally step too close. A tip to spot any buried snake at night is to shine your flashlight parallel to the ground (this is why i stress the GOOD flashlight!, the TechLite lumen masters are very strong, useful and bright, and they're small!) -this will cast a shadow from the eyes and nose of the snake, which has horns. If you see a cast shadow of anything, avoiding it can greatly reduce the risk of snakebite. As they are generally nocturnal, they will be active, thus detectable in most cases. Many snakes will shelter amongst plants, as the roots provide stability, as will other animals.

A small shovel/spade for digging up specimens that wont leave their burrows

Containers!! I am now low on containers. I have a few, but many are either occupied, or gone by now. Mini poly-pro containers and lids are easy to find, as are larger sizes. They're stackable, too, just make sure your containers are excellently padded, so they restrict movement, which will greatly protect your specimens. Dont wanna catch a neat spider, only to have it's legs break from rattling around (remember, these are dune species, and basically all of them lack the ability to scale anything smooth!)

first aid kit of some sort disinfectants in case of bites or stings, like iodine etc would be greatly useful. I dont have one!

Im only able to provide for gas and ill be offering water in case any of you are ill-prepared, there are stores nearby . I have no shelter, but could probably get a cheapo tent tomorrow, or so. I dunno if you guys are up for a night trip, but that would be ideal, as it is HOT there! next saturday, the high is forecast to be around 101 f, while the low should be around 70, comfy nightime temps!

So let me see what's up.. please PM me about this if you want to go next weekend.

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Okay this isnt happening then. If anyone else plans on SERIOUSLY visiting the algodones dunes, shoot me a PM.

Maybe I'll just go to palm desert myself, or something :\