Lets discuss C. cyaneopubescens behavior

Abbio

Arachnopeon
Hi guys! Just wanted to set off a discussion around your experiences with these guys.

I have a juvi potential female… and had her since a sling and I really enjoyed keep this species the colours are amazing! And so much change with each molt its fascinating to watch.

Just wanted to talk about the characteristics, as I have always had her in a terrestrial set up, in a Kritter keeper, with plenty of sub (coco and peat mix) with a nice little hide in there I made myself.

The problem is she never uses the thing! And insists on webbing up on top of the hide and scrunching in the top corner. I would usually put this down to damp sub but it has been a long time and she is definitely settled there!

I guess she’s happy as I have had her a long time, it’s just that it’s an issue when I’m feeding and opening the lid it destroys her web and theres a risk she could bolt as she is right at the top!

And also I just simply don’t like the fact the she has a lovely mossy leaf cork bark hide that’s natural looking yet prefers to be in a plastic corner!

I know there’s nothing I can do so I am just going to continue to leave her be, but I just wanted to hear about your experiences with this species and what kind of set up you think they prefer.

AshS

Arachnosquire
Mine uses a burrow I made him and webbs around there. He has made an amazing tunnel system with a hammock at the top. Usually during the day he is chilling in his Webb hammock and at night he retreats into his burrow.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
@Abbio mine does just as yours. I have had it since it was about 1 cm. It hardly ever touches the substrate, and keeps generally to one corner, although it is very active in its web system. It has never burrowed. As it has grown it has become much less skittish, actually somewhat bold. I actually pay more attention now to the possibility it may bolt out of the enclosure, as previously it was a given it would retreat into its web at any disturbance. I really like the species, active, always posing, a voracious eater, and as you said, those colors....!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You don't need to give them much sub, just a couple of inches or enough to hold the anchor points in place.

Mine has never used a hide, I just give her a bunch of anchor points and leave her to it.

Abbio

Arachnopeon
You don't need to give them much sub, just a couple of inches or enough to hold the anchor points in place.

Mine has never used a hide, I just give her a bunch of anchor points and leave her to it.
Ah well thats good to know! i thought i just had a wierdo! lol.
Would you suggest that i removed the hide and just leave a few anchor points ? do you have pics? or is it all web now!
thanks!

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
My 3” juvenile never uses its hide either. I’m going to rehouse to final habitat soon. This may be controversial, but I think I’m going to use an arboreal habitat (8x8x12”) as mine much prefers to be elevated like yours.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
My late female actually preferred to remain in her hide, only coming out every so often. In my opinion a hide is necessary just in case.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Would you suggest that i removed the hide and just leave a few anchor points ? do you have pics? or is it all web now!
thanks!
I'd suggest leaning a piece of wood/cork bark against the side that it could utilise as a hide if it wanted but I don't bother with a traditional hide for any of my heavy webbers because they just web them shut and don't use them, I'll probably redo her enclosure once she's moulted (I think she's due one soon).

DSC00005.JPG

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I have four sackmates, it's been interesting seeing how they utilize space differently from each other.

One stays high, one low, one likes to chill on the leaves in the middle, and one takes a really, really long time to molt :rolleyes:. I really tried to keep their habits in mind when I set up their new enclosures, and they seem to be happy as spiders can be.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I have 2 slings and they like to climb and web and then climb and web. I set them up with less substrate than I would for other terrestrials and have driftwood and plastic leaves for anchor points. I kept the anchor point away from the top of the enclosure so they don't even up the lid, They don't have a hide but one of the driftwood pieces is large enough to chill underneath it, which they do before a molt. That seems to be fine.

Skittish little things and they eat like pigs. I love em!

20180404163149_IMG_0037.JPG 1118170918_Burst01.jpg

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Here's my little one, the hide is in the foreground and it did use it when I first got it but after a week or so it preferred to hang out on it's web.
gbb web.jpg

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I have a male sub adult.
He is a hermit I rarely see him out, he accepts food maybes once every 20 or so days. Doesn't web much anymore, generally isn't an active tarantula.
I'm not kidding either, he isn't mature and he's healthy from what I can see.

Once my guy passes away I will be grabbing a couple of slings.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
It is my opinion and I’d say it seems rather clear from the vast array of responses here that C cyaneopubescens is one of the more “freethinking” tarantulas in the hobby.

I myself have one that burrowed under a log, another that made web tunnels at ground level that travel up the side of the enclosure. I have one that did what OP did and sits on top of its hide and I even have one that totally ignored its anchor points and made hammocks in the top corners of the enclosure. Let me tell you that last one is tough to feed sometimes...

This is what makes gbbs so fun!

Abbio

Arachnopeon
It is my opinion and I’d say it seems rather clear from the vast array of responses here that C cyaneopubescens is one of the more “freethinking” tarantulas in the hobby.

I myself have one that burrowed under a log, another that made web tunnels at ground level that travel up the side of the enclosure. I have one that did what OP did and sits on top of its hide and I even have one that totally ignored its anchor points and made hammocks in the top corners of the enclosure. Let me tell you that last one is tough to feed sometimes...

This is what makes gbbs so fun!
Yes i'm enjoying reading all the different experiences! its really quite interesting, i decided to change thing up a little and change the hide for just anchor points so ill see how we get on!

I'd suggest leaning a piece of wood/cork bark against the side that it could utilise as a hide if it wanted but I don't bother with a traditional hide for any of my heavy webbers because they just web them shut and don't use them, I'll probably redo her enclosure once she's moulted (I think she's due one soon).

View attachment 274823
This is exactly how mine likes to be!

Last edited by a moderator: