Lethargic After Molt

dmahaffie

Arachnopeon
I received a lovely subadult female regalis Weds and Thurs evening she was molting. She created a nice web hammock for herself, but was tangled up in her molt and not moving when I went to bed Thurs night. Next morning she was out of the molt, but laying on top of it. She has not moved off the molt since. She is moving, but not moved away. Last night I put some droplets of water on the exoskeleton thinking she may be dehydrated. But still no significant movement.

Any thoughts? I wonder if I should put her in ICU? I'm afraid disturbing her would be too stressful?

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don't disturb her. The larger the T the longer it takes them to get back to normal operations after a molt. Be patient.

cold blood

Staff member
Do NOT put it in an ICU....molting is exceedingly stressful and ALL t's without exception, are lethargic following a molt. Moving it now is just plain dangerous, not to mention completely unnecessary.

The t should have a water dish, make sure one is provided.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why do people have to blow things like a simple molt out of proportion.

dmahaffie

Arachnopeon
This is exactly what I thought, leave her alone. She was just shipped though, which was my main concern. She does have a water dish.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
This is exactly what I thought, leave he alone. I have never had an adult take three days to move after a molt thigh. She was just shipped though. She does have a water dish.
My G. porteri molted recently. She sat in odd positions and stretched occasionally for 13 days....never left the molting mat in that time.

She assumed hunting posture yesterday and at 2am this morning she took a cricket with much enthusiasm. Bigger t's need significantly more recover time than slings or even juvies.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
My G. porteri molted recently. She sat in odd positions and stretched occasionally for 13 days....never left the molting mat in that time.

She assumed hunting posture yesterday and at 2am this morning she took a cricket with much enthusiasm. Bigger t's need significantly more recover time than slings or even juvies.
+1 to this. My G. porteri molted for the first time in my care pretty recently and it took her close to a month to get back to her normal routine. Up to that point she spent most of her time with all her legs sprawled out as far as she could get them; I imagine she was taking her time stretching. Either way, now she's back to her normal moody self.

OP, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

pepey05

Arachnopeon
My A genic molted last month and it took her a good 3 weeks to get back to normal. Found her in positions that the Kama Sutra doesn't have :eek: but she is back to normal now. I am fairly new to the hobbie so I appreciate your concerns. She is a big girl so appreciate it would take her while to get back to normal, whilst my G pulchra sling upwardly mobile in hours

dmahaffie

Arachnopeon
[/COLOR]She is not doing well at all! In a death curl! I took her out and put her in ICU. She is missing a front leg and the other front leg is leaking severely. I super glued her wound, but I'm pretty sure she is dead! I'm going to give her a day to be sure, but I think she is dead. I couldn't tell she was missing a limb and bleeding because she was on top of her exoskeleton. I should checked her! I gut told me there was something wrong!

Last edited: