Leiurus herberti

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Alright I’m having serious issues with my scorpions and I’m really starting to get pissed. I don’t understand why the heck I don’t get it. I already lost another scorpion(the t. stigmurus) I purchased for reasons unknown to me and I just can’t understand what the heck is going on. Let’s start from the beginning. I purchased 5 l. herberti and 1 t. stigmurus around early September. I set the l. herberti up dry with some corkbark without a water dish. I spritzed the crock once every two weeks or so but was often hesitant because I didn’t want humidity to spike. I offered them food whenever they were out. To of them were hiding away for about a month and I didn’t think it was a problem. Today I was a little restless and removed the corkbark to check on them. Turns out they were very thirsty and looked a little skinny. I offered all of my scorpions a water dish and most of them dunked there heads into the water dish to drink. I had no idea that they were thirsty because they were not wandering there enclosure looking for water. Please just give it to me straight, what the heck do scorpions need and why do they drown in water in 2 seconds and how do you properly water them. Basically how do I not kill the rest of my l herberti

Enclosure 40CC3254-3C38-4521-BBD9-5F25374B0D80.jpeg

The two that I said were dead strangely revived from being completely immobile and in a death curl but I still don’t understand what I’m doing

Last edited:

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know it sounds harsh, but if you are having trouble with your certainty in how to provide water to your scorpions, you maybe shouldn't be keeping L. heberti or T. stigmurus, although it sounds like you are generally doing the correct things. I am a little surprised that the scorpions drowned, because unless they fell in completely, I don't see how they would do that. I can understand that the issue with the water dish is frustrating and I'm sorry that you lost those two.

You are right that L. heberti (no first 'r') doesn't require much water. A light spray in the corner of the enclosure once every two weeks, like you did, should be fine, but make sure you have proper ventilation. A shallow water dish (probably only 1 cm) is fine to provide - the source you provided was probably just too deep. The temperature should be about 24-27 degrees C during the day and 20-23 C at night. Humidity should only be about 30%. From the photo that you provided, i) I would clean the dead food carcasses from the surface, ii) I would feed the scorpions crickets or roaches, not mealworms, as these are unnecessary and even unhealthy as a food source, if we're really being particular, and iii) I would make sure the sand substrate is at least 5 cm deep and that you have enough pieces of shelter (there are two adults in that enclosure? A sufficient size for a pair of adult Leiurus is probably about 20x30x20 cm or so). A mix of sand and excavator clay (a ratio of 80:20 maybe) is pretty good for arid and semi-arid species like Leiurus spp.

Generally, not seeing your scorpions during the day is a good thing. I would try to feed them at a specific time and/or day, but I wouldn't try to feed them every time you see them out. Just put about two or three (given that there are/were two adults in the same enclosure) crickets/roaches in the enclosure and check back later to either remove them if the scorpion(s) haven't eaten or to remove any food debris if they have. It is not necessary to watch them eat (it is fun, certainly), but if you are concerned, you can if you want to and just remove the prey item if you think the scorpion(s) aren't interested.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I know it sounds harsh, but if you are having trouble with your certainty in how to provide water to your scorpions, you maybe shouldn't be keeping L. heberti or T. stigmurus, although it sounds like you are generally doing the correct things. I am a little surprised that the scorpions drowned, because unless they fell in completely, I don't see how they would do that. I can understand that the issue with the water dish is frustrating and I'm sorry that you lost those two.

You are right that L. heberti (no first 'r') doesn't require much water. A light spray in the corner of the enclosure once every two weeks, like you did, should be fine, but make sure you have proper ventilation. A shallow water dish (probably only 1 cm) is fine to provide - the source you provided was probably just too deep. The temperature should be about 24-27 degrees C during the day and 20-23 C at night. Humidity should only be about 30%. From the photo that you provided, i) I would clean the dead food carcasses from the surface, ii) I would feed the scorpions crickets or roaches, not mealworms, as these are unnecessary and even unhealthy as a food source, if we're really being particular, and iii) I would make sure the sand substrate is at least 5 cm deep and that you have enough pieces of shelter (there are two adults in that enclosure? A sufficient size for a pair of adult Leiurus is probably about 20x30x20 cm or so). A mix of sand and excavator clay (a ratio of 80:20 maybe) is pretty good for arid and semi-arid species like Leiurus spp.

Generally, not seeing your scorpions during the day is a good thing. I would try to feed them at a specific time and/or day, but I wouldn't try to feed them every time you see them out. Just put about two or three (given that there are/were two adults in the same enclosure) crickets/roaches in the enclosure and check back later to either remove them if the scorpion(s) haven't eaten or to remove any food debris if they have. It is not necessary to watch them eat (it is fun, certainly), but if you are concerned, you can if you want to and just remove the prey item if you think the scorpion(s) aren't interested.
There scorplings. 2-3 instar right know and about an inch. The two scorpion I mentioned in the post thankfully revived. About 40 minutes after I made the post they started moving around again. Before they were completely immobile and I thought they were dead. I’ll definitely purchase some new enclosures to suit there needs. I used

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Water Leiurus through misting the wall of their enclosures every week or two. Keep the containers well ventilated and keep the substrate as dry as possible to prevent mycosis. Scorpions can detect water and if they are thirsty they will rush to the water droplets and safely drink them. Do not provide them waterdishes because due to their small size the surface tension of the water in the waterdish will trap them and drown them. They aren't strong and large enough to escape on their own. If your are scorpions are skinny maybe it is a temperature issue not a water issue. 🤔

Leiurus have survived a whole year without water in lab conditions.

85F-95F are good temps.

P.S. Humidity spikes provided by weekly/biweekly misting as long as their enclosures are well ventilated and the water evaporates over a day or less is fine and can assist with better molting.

Last edited: