Legspan vs Diagonal Legspan

Do you use Legspan more or Diagonal Legspan more for measuring t's? (U.S./Canada)

• Total voters

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So I was wondering... how much of the hobby uses legspan compared with diagonal legspan?

To clarify, legspan is just straight measuring from one end to the other end of the t. Diagonal legspan (DLS) is measuring from one end to the other, opposite end, creating a diagonal line.
DLS gives a larger length measurement for t's.

I understand that the European hobby uses body length (not counting legs) to measure t's so this is mainly for US/Canadian hobbyists.

@Venom1080 :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Body length varies and is thus dumb. Legspan is unheard of. ;) DLS is standard and the way to go.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
So I was wondering... how much of the hobby uses legspan compared with diagonal legspan?

To clarify, legspan is just straight measuring from one end to the other end of the t. Diagonal legspan (DLS) is measuring from one end to the other, opposite end, creating a diagonal line.
DLS gives a larger length measurement for t's.

I understand that the European hobby uses body length (not counting legs) to measure t's so this is mainly for US/Canadian hobbyists.

@Venom1080 :)
Also not unheard of is using just the lenght of the promosa/carapace since it is stable throughout a molt cycle.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Always used DLS in inches. I remember very long ago when I was a kid I just used to put coins under them and go by that, lol.

boina

Lady of the mites
Body length varies and is thus dumb.
You could have a very long discussion with German keepers who insist on body length because leg span varies according to how stretched out the tarantula sits...

I use diagonal leg span on here and body length when I want to buy or sell in Germany and I subtract a few millimeters from body lenght when the tarantula is very fat.

cold blood

Staff member
You could have a very long discussion with German keepers who insist on body length because leg span varies according to how stretched out the tarantula sits...
My argument is the mature male.

A male molts to maturity, his legspan increases, often significantly...while at the same time, his abdomen, and therefore body size often actually decreases....so i ask....

Upon maturity, do males grow or shrink? The answer to me is obvious. And to me this leaves body measurements as very decieving and incredibly inconsistent as t species features vary too much.

Add in that housing, and the space required for each spcimen, is almost completely dictated by leg span, and IMO its pretty clear DLS is the most significant measurement and the one that really should be hobby standard.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
DLS for tarantulas.

Body length (not including legs or palps) when I am talking about spiders outside of the hobby.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use DLS when conversing with other keepers, and I use "this big" *holds up hands in a circle* for people outside of the hobby to show legspan :happy:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Also not unheard of is using just the lenght of the promosa/carapace since it is stable throughout a molt cycle.
Is anything even close to theraphosa carpace? I had one once and nothing I have now is close , A genic was huge but it had a bad molt. R.I.P.
New a genic is still a juvie 4-5”.
You could do carpace and dls.
To compare species , how do I measure without getting haired? Or anger T

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Hehe who was the other poor chap that uses straight legspan? Gimme a heckin high five! :rofl:

Seriously though this was pretty eye-opening and informative, thanks guys!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I generally measure by leg span from the tip of tarsus 1 to the tip of tarsus 4 on the same side. So no diagonal leg span here. I find measuring across the prosoma adds length that seems unnecessary. When I need to know how big a tarantula is for housing, the length on one side is more important than on the diagonal since most tarantulas' resting position is scrunched up anyway. I don't usually see tarantulas with their legs completely outstretched. Except in the post molt stretch, but even then they stretch in a straight line.

Using my alcohol preserved male Theraphosa stirmi as an example, using diagonal leg span with legs completely stretched out it measures 10 inches. Measuring straight on one side it is 9 inches. Now if I chose to sell it when it was alive, naturally I would have used diagonal leg span to justify a higher price tag. :angelic:

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Hehe who was the other poor chap that uses straight legspan? Gimme a heckin high five! :rofl:

Seriously though this was pretty eye-opening and informative, thanks guys!
high five!

I just did some measuring. I can just touch (flatfooted) the ceiling in my bedroom, which measured 8ft 6inches. But using DLS measuring from my right finger tip to the bottom of my outstretched left foot my reach is 9 ft. Thanks to DLS I now have a 9 ft reach!:troll:

Seriously, I bought some slings where I think the dealer measured the DLS of the sling....plus the sling next to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I use legspan on my T. If I tried to measure her from the top she'd be gone faster than a cat out of water.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
DLS because every single breeder uses this measurement, if someone uses body length I will not buy from them.