Leftovers

silver_sylvia

Arachnopeon
I have been doing research on Ts lately so I am prepared for my very first acachnid. I have read that most eating habits are.....um....inconsistant, is that the word Im looking for? Like the spider will eat six or twelve crickets one time and eat less than that the next. So if I bought twelve she eats only five of them in 24 hours, Im supposed to remove the "leftovers" from the environment. But what do I do with the crickets? Throw them outside? Create a little cricket house seperate from the spider's environment like in a jar or something? What?
This sounds like one of those "no brainer"/common sense questions, but I figured I should ask seasoned spider keepers how to deal with these things. I don't want crickets running all over the house or my spider. It's uncomfortable for the both of us.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You just put the "leftover crickets" (the ones that are still alive) in a tupperware or deli container with some airholes in the lid and toss in some carrot or potato pieces each day or so.

You can also buy a "cricket keeper" it's a plastic cage with 2 black tubes that the crickets hide in.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Much also depends on what kind of T your planning to get. If you want a grown up T. blondi feeding it 12 crickets every two weeks to a month would be appropriate. If you are planning on something more like the size of a rosea I'd not consider 12 crickets but rather 2 every 2-3 weeks.

That way you'd be basically underfeeding it slightly, ensuring that it will eat both feeders most of the time until it gets into pre-moult. Underfeeding is way better than overweeding imo since the abdomen stays at a healthy size.

So what T of what age are you planning to get?

And yes, if you still have leftovers you can store them somewhere like stated above or you could freeze them and defrost them when needed. Ground dwelling T's are easy to feed with dead prey.

jgaglio1

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't put 12 crickets into your Ts home all at once. Assuming it is an adult or near adult you might try 3 or so.
You should strongly consider setting up something to keep your cricks in. A tall plastic container with a few empty toilet tissue rolls in the container which will make it easier to capture and remove them. Some quality cricket loading food will be good for your spiders.
When the first three are eaten remove the remains ( I suggest using long foreceps) and toss in another two or three.

silver_sylvia

Arachnopeon
Im planning on getting a G. Rosea. Its the only species available in the pet stores near by, I dont want to be picky about my first T. So how often and how much would a spider like that eat?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Depends on it's size really, but a fullgrown could be fed 2 crix every 2 weeks for average. Right after a moult a little more, if you see that it starts to get fat a little less...