Leech Removal Methods - Survey

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Background: Several friends and associates are going to Nepal to do a month long data gathering expedition. They will be camping in one of the most leech infested locations on the planet. In cooperation with local entomologists and a university, they are going to undertake executing a survey of the most effective forms of leech removal along with their other efforts.

This is your opportunity to have your own method(s) tested under extreme field conditions.

Target criteria
-100% effectiveness, or as close as possible. This will be dependent upon how close other criteria are followed.
-Must remove the leech as rapidly as possible in order to minimize potential infections.
-Non toxic. The method will be considered as being applied to an open wound.
-Hypoallergenic. Chemicals should not contain known allergens.
-Must retain as close as possible to 100% effectiveness for 30 days under storage conditions ranging from 20 to 80 degrees F.
-Should not contain chemicals that may cause damage to the skin. A Ph between 3 and 10 is preferable. Chemicals containing petro-chemical derivatives will be rated and considered using relevant MSDS.
-Convenience of application.
-Should not contain proprietary (trade marked or licensed or controlled) substances.
-Catalysts and chemicals or substances that must be combined at the time of treatment will be considered.

Please keep your replies concise, listing ingredients then method of application in a clear, understandable format. Precautions, if any, should be listed last. (Keep out of eyes, do not take internally etc). The team will be able to take approximately 20kg of test materials so many methods can be tried.

As a final criteria, the most applications in the minimal amount of space or weight can be a factor. Where they are going they expect to be using several hundred applications per day.

PS Additionally, if you can think of anything to make this survey more concise, accurate or effective, please feel free to make suggestions.

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
Ingredients: Table Salt
Use: Sprinkle onto the offending leech. I don't have specific numbers for you as far as effectiveness, but I've used it myself while trekking in Costa Rica and it worked very well for me.
Warnings: Not dangerous if taken internally, but not particularly pleasant if it comes in contact with eyes. It may sting on the open wound left by the leech but won't be harmful. Keep it dry, in a waterproof bag or something.

This is all I've got, sorry I don't have much else.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
I will second the NaCl....and add a hot match-head...either will encourage a leech to relinquish its hold with much haste.

jake9134

Arachnosquire
isopropyl alcohol + spay bottle might work. should use the same method at table salt(dessication) but cleans the bite mark as well.

The Snark

Old Timer
Thanks. Various dilutions of NaCl and Isopropanol are on the list. Might as well bang at them with granular table salt as well.

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The company from whom I buy leeches, Leeches USA, sells to hospitals. They recommend alcohol as an irritant to safely remove leeches applied to patients. I've used 70% ethanol. The main concern in removing leeches is to induce them to voluntarily detach as opposed to pulling them off, so that none of their jaws break off in the wound, which can cause infection.

The Snark

Old Timer
The company from whom I buy leeches, Leeches USA, sells to hospitals. They recommend alcohol as an irritant to safely remove leeches applied to patients. I've used 70% ethanol. The main concern in removing leeches is to induce them to voluntarily detach as opposed to pulling them off, so that none of their jaws break off in the wound, which can cause infection.
Excellent point that I should have mentioned. Any leech removal method that has the potential to kill the leech before it releases itself is not acceptable as leech parts can remain in the wound. As Kirk mentioned, the sought after solution is to irritate the leech into fully releasing itself.

Another aspect that needs to be taken into consideration is economy of the method of release. A previous expedition to the same area found various forms of alcohol reasonably effective, but the team, 22 persons, used up the two liters they carried with them in 48 hours. As one member put it, they found themselves almost having to bathe in alcohol. A common infestation in any given 24 hour period involved 1000 to 3500 (approximate) leeches.

Last edited:

jake9134

Arachnosquire
the team, 22 persons, used up the two liters they carried with them in 48 hours. As one member put it, they found themselves almost having to bathe in alcohol. A common infestation in any given 24 hour period involved 1000 to 3500 (approximate) leeches.
a simple solution to that is carry strong concentrations of alcohol and dilute it with water. also just have every team member take a liter each depending on the duration of your stay though salt probably will be more weight efficient. another possibility is to find some type of repellant that will work, maybe soak your cloths in salt water and let them dry to decrease the amount that attaches? just a few suggestions

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've been told lemon/lime juice squeeze onto them works great. I'm sure the testers are trying this one. Going along the same vein perhaps white vinegar would work as well.