Leech Removal Methods - Survey RESULTS

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Field tested. The team found the following to be the most effective in the removal of leeches and ticks.

In preferably distilled water, 1 half pint.
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons rubbing (methyl) alcohol
2 teaspoons dish washing liquid as surfactant and emulsifier
10 cc's Povidone Iodine often marketed as Betadyne(tm) topical antiseptic

Wet animal. Release usually occurs in seconds. For leeches that have recently become attached, a small squirt of Betadyne(tm) is often sufficient to cause them to release.

Ingredients were chosen for their primary use effectiveness, antibacterial properties, non allergenic, and not having any known adverse effects on thrombin.

PS Anti leech method tested.
-Two people wore jeans that they had gone swimming in the ocean in then stored them un-rinsed. They were attacked by only about one fourth the number of leeches, around 2000, in a 3 weeks period. It was an open discussion if the gritty feel of the salt was worth it.
-The old reliable: duct tape. Seal every tiny gap in clothing.

PPS Physical removal of the leech is HIGHLY ILL-ADVISED! If mouth parts remain in the wound they are nearly impossible to remove, can remain in the intradermal tissues for months, commonly carry a number of bacteria and can host a large number of other bacteria inclusive of staph. The combination of the mouth parts and the anticoagulant in the leeches saliva promotes infections to rapidly become systemic.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Seems more sound than the method I would utilize. That is to say, running around and screaming "Get it offa me! get it offa me!:eek:" like a frightened girl.

I do not like leeches.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's pretty much the method I use, minus the dishwashing liquid and with a bit more salt. I've gotten pretty blase' about leeches; when you spend enough time in swamps and around fishing ponds, you're gonna wind up with leeches sooner or later. I have permanent scars from attempting to remove them physically, so no, that is NOT advised, and neither is the old southern US method of sticking a lit cigarette to them. Both methods are more likely to result in injury to you than to removal of the leech.

pitbulllady

The Snark

Old Timer
Leech Utopia

I would say add more salt too but they were conserving the salt trying to create a barrier at the camp perimeter.
Everyone who visits that area asks the same exact question: "What do they eat when they can't find people." That is universally followed up with, as great masses of leeches swarm over your shoes and up your pants legs, "We're camping here? You have got to be s***ting me!"

Ziltoid

Arachnosquire
Interesting! any tips on prevent ticks that's beyond the norm? Some of the summers in Canada get brutal, to the point where after every nature hike I've got check myself.

The Snark

Old Timer
Interesting! any tips on prevent ticks that's beyond the norm? Some of the summers in Canada get brutal, to the point where after every nature hike I've got check myself.
Allow me to quote a doctor regarding avoiding tick attacks: "Being dead for about 15 minutes seems to do the trick."

The Snark

Old Timer
Leech and tick prophylaxis

While there have been numerous 'quack' suggestions trying to prevent attacks from these animals, along with several somewhat effective preventive measures, science has not yet found any fully effective method that I have heard of. These animals require the proteins supplied by blood, not just during the reproductive cycle but through the life cycle itself. Thus, these animals are genetically programmed to seek out the proteins, even if it means suicidal attacks. They watched tens of thousands of leeches crawling into a salt swath and die. That doesn't prevent the individual animals from continuing their persistent attacks. It is estimated that billions, possibly trillions of ticks starve to death while waiting for an opportunity to latch onto a animal. Protections will be disregarded and the only effective solution is genetic reprogramming.

The bottom line is knowledge and understanding. Use proximity, respect nature, and resign yourself to getting munched now and then. It is far far easier for humans to reprogram themselves than for them to reorder the world around them which almost always causes biodiversity to pay the price.

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I have used lotion for flea treatment for kids with deltametrine (DCB 2748). Just spread in the skin e voila! Test it and tell me later.

The Snark

Old Timer
Well, I have used lotion for flea treatment for kids with deltametrine (DCB 2748). Just spread in the skin e voila! Test it and tell me later.
Unfortunately, Deltametrine, Deltamethrin, is one of those 'safe until it kills you' pyrethroids and generally considered as a last resort, to be avoided if at all possible toxin that has not been tested for long term or lifetime exposure. The big plan is to avoid permanent health issues, not exacerbate them down the road. The MSDS says it all.
http://www.lclabs.com/MSDS/D-6153MSDS.php4

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sawyers tick repellant. works wonders!!! more hunters/outdoorsman swear by it than any other product.

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
one of the easyest ways to remove a leech is just touch it with a lit smoke and it will drop right off. or salt just put it on the leech and it will dry the skin and the leech will come off. these are the easyest ways to remove leeches. i have been around leeches my whole life and no problems from the ways i just described. now to stop ticks use the highest deet spay ( deep woods off ) one of the better ones to use. and when you are done walking around the woods check your socks and waist line and if you find one you have to make sure that you remove the head of the tick if you don't it will cause a infection. and the person who started this thread leeches can't be in the ocean only fresh water

Last edited by a moderator:

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
and the person who started this thread leeches can't be in the ocean only fresh water
The OP mentioned people swimming in the ocean as a method of salt-soaking their jeans as a leech repellent--had nothing to do with people getting leeches from ocean swimming.

The Snark

Old Timer
And the answer is... none. No idea. I've been in infested areas where people have picked up several hundred ticks in a span of a couple of hours. When they get on you they will try to munch.You need to turn your skin into something that they consider unappetizing, preferably that doesn't contain hemoglobin. As with leeches, 'being dead for an hour seems to be the only really effective prophylaxis. In other words, whatever works.

Last edited: