"Least popular" arboreals?

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Since I just recently gotten back into the hobby, I am looking to get myself a new T. However, I have some silly requirements.

First, I enjoy arboreal species, and even though I did kill one back when I was first interested in tarantulas, I learned from that mistake.

Second, temperament isn't a big deal, but I'm trying to avoid old worlds just due to the more potent venom.

And third (the weirdest requirement), I am interested in all of the T's people aren't interested in. This even includes the more "boring", dully colored ones.

Any suggestions? The last arboreal tarantula I had under my care was a P. cambridgei, who did really well until my cat killed it. Although, P. cambridgei always seemed semi-arboreal to me.

cold blood

Staff member
Aside from avics, a P. cam is just like the rest of arboreals, and that is that they become more and more arboreal as they grow. Almost all arboreals act virtually terrestrial when young, but as they reach adulthood, they will act more like you would expect an arboreal to act.

There really isn't a group of unpopular spiders like you want, but I will throw out 2 genus. First is Iridopelma. They're basically less popular because they are newer to the hobby, but its apparent they breed easily and I suspect that in time, they will become more and more popular until they become commonplace. The next place I'd look is to Taps. They are exceedingly fast, probably the fastest genus of tarantulas out there, they are NW and probably because many of the species are rather drab looking, their popularity remains limited...but cool spiders none-the-less....very fast growers as well.

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the suggestions! I have been really intereseted in the Iridopelma genus, so perhaps I'll follow through with that interest.

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
Agree with Cold-I have 2 pairs of T. gigas,all went from slings to 3+" in a little less than a year.
Super-fast,but don't seem terribly agressive.

I do disagree a little on their appearance,tho-IMO,they are one of the cutest slings. Agree,adult males are a little drab,but(I think...)they are one of the few species with extreme dimorphism in their colors as adults,which is also interesting,at least.
I have a decent pic of one somewhere here,bright orange,will try to get/upload a good pic of a male soon.

Another to consider may be T. ockerti. At least semi-arboreal(I think there's debate),I don't think very popular.
A little on the skittish side,and definitely not drab,boring,like you mentioned wanting. Cutest bright red opisthsoma,they stick it straight out,pretend to be a strawberry,haha.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I think Tapinauchenius is pretty underated, IMHO. I personally love the colour on these guys (well at least the females), they look as if they're made of satin, or silk - really pretty IMO. Mind you though, they are very fast from what info I have gathered.