Least Deadly Parthenogenic Scorpion

Major 78

Arachnosquire
I was wondering what the least deadly (to humans) parthenogenic scorpion would be? How bad is the sting? Answers are greatly appreciated :)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I can't say about least deadly parthogenic scorpion. Almost all the parthogenic scorps i can think of have around the same venom level due to their genus/species. Hottentotta hottentotta is the most easily availabe and it is the lowest on venom I can think of, I believe it's range is around 3.5-4 out of 5 on the level scale. The Tityus genus are also parthogenic, but I really don't see them often and most of their venom level is 5/5, meaning one hell of a sting. You're pretty young for wanting something on those levels. What is your experience with scorps??

Major 78

Arachnosquire
I can't say about least deadly parthogenic scorpion. Almost all the parthogenic scorps i can think of have around the same venom level due to their genus/species. Hottentotta hottentotta is the most easily availabe and it is the lowest on venom I can think of, I believe it's range is around 3.5-4 out of 5 on the level scale. The Tityus genus are also parthogenic, but I really don't see them often and most of their venom level is 5/5, meaning one hell of a sting. You're pretty young for wanting something on those levels. What is your experience with scorps??
Yeah, H. Hottentotta looks cool.

Yes, I am very young. Just 13. But don't let my age fool you. I'm an animal addict.

I have kept:

Ants:
Brachyamyrmex Depillis
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Crematogaster Lineolata
Formica Subserica
Lasius Neoniger
Nylanderia Flavipes
Prenolepis Imparis
Tapinoma Sessile
Tetramorium Immigrans
Camponotus Chromaides
Camponotus Nearcitcus
Camponotus Novaeboracensis
Lasius Murphyi
Myrmecina sp.
Myrmica sp.
Ponera Pennsylvanica
Temnothorax Curvispinosus
Temnothorax Longispinosus
Lasius Brevicornis

Termites:
Recticulermes Flavipes

Mantids:
Creoborater (suspected gemmatus)
Tarachodula Pantherina
Blepharopsis Mendica
Hymenopus Coronatus

Roaches:
Blaptica Dubia

Butterflys:
Danaus plexippus

Exotic Fish:
Several Saltwater Fish I can't recall the names of
Betta splendens

Cat:
Felis catus

Super worms:
Zophobas morio

Fruit Flies (Feeder):
D. Hydei

Worms:
Lumbricina sp.

Frogs/Tadpoles:
Rana temporaria

Wasps:
Vespula vulgaris Queen for a little while

I have 6 more mantids coming in the mail, will be ordering Tarantulas, Scorpions, Beetles, Velvet Ants (wasps), Jumping Spiders, and Antlions when I have enough money saved up. So yeah, I have years and years of experience with animals and bugs. But sadly almost none with tarantulas and scorpions... I have touched both but other than that none. That's why I am asking around about them. I really love how some scorpions are parthogenic and really wanted to see that first hand.
My dad doesn't let me keep deadly bugs so that's why I am trying to find some not as deadly parthogenic scorpions. Though I have kept some deadly bugs on that list... but don't tell him.;)

What are some of the symptoms of a H. Hottentotta stings and how bad?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I dont mean to spoil your fun, but Hottentotta is a genus with medically significant scorpion species that have caused fatalities. You’ll probably have issues finding someone who will sell to someone your age.

I don’t believe Hottentotta hottentotta has caused any fatalities, but the sting is extremely painful from what I hear. You can read sting reports if you would like.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/hottentotta-hottentotta.208215/

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You'll probably want to gain some experience with some of the more scorps before moving into the buthids. That'll give you an idea on behavior and proper maintenance practices because you don't get many mistakes with the higher venom buthids.

Also, species names are lowercase.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Yeah, H. Hottentotta looks cool.

Yes, I am very young. Just 13. But don't let my age fool you. I'm an animal addict.

I have kept:

Ants:
Brachyamyrmex Depillis
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Crematogaster Lineolata
Formica Subserica
Lasius Neoniger
Nylanderia Flavipes
Prenolepis Imparis
Tapinoma Sessile
Tetramorium Immigrans
Camponotus Chromaides
Camponotus Nearcitcus
Camponotus Novaeboracensis
Lasius Murphyi
Myrmecina sp.
Myrmica sp.
Ponera Pennsylvanica
Temnothorax Curvispinosus
Temnothorax Longispinosus
Lasius Brevicornis

Termites:
Recticulermes Flavipes

Mantids:
Creoborater (suspected gemmatus)
Tarachodula Pantherina
Blepharopsis Mendica
Hymenopus Coronatus

Roaches:
Blaptica Dubia

Butterflys:
Danaus plexippus

Exotic Fish:
Several Saltwater Fish I can't recall the names of
Betta splendens

Cat:
Felis catus

Super worms:
Zophobas morio

Fruit Flies (Feeder):
D. Hydei

Worms:
Lumbricina sp.

Frogs/Tadpoles:
Rana temporaria

Wasps:
Vespula vulgaris Queen for a little while

I have 6 more mantids coming in the mail, will be ordering Tarantulas, Scorpions, Beetles, Velvet Ants (wasps), Jumping Spiders, and Antlions when I have enough money saved up. So yeah, I have years and years of experience with animals and bugs. But sadly almost none with tarantulas and scorpions... I have touched both but other than that none. That's why I am asking around about them. I really love how some scorpions are parthogenic and really wanted to see that first hand.
My dad doesn't let me keep deadly bugs so that's why I am trying to find some not as deadly parthogenic scorpions. Though I have kept some deadly bugs on that list... but don't tell him.;)

None of those are scorpions, so you definitely need some scorpions first before anything that is a parthogenic scorpion. I don't even think you can buy any at all to be honest. You're 13 (No offense, but still on the young side), wanting a potent sting scorpion?? Almost all parthogenic scorpions are venomous. I don't think you can even buy anything venomous at that age, let alone have no experience with scorpions. your list is interesting, but it's not anything to do with scorpions. It's like wanting to raise a venomous snake, and the list only has fishes of what that person has raised.

NYAN

Arachnoking
You're 13 (No offense, but still on the young side), wanting a potent sting scorpion?? Almost all parthogenic scorpions are venomous. I don't think you can even buy anything venomous at that age, let alone have no experience with scorpions. your list is interesting, but it's not anything to do with scorpions. It's like wanting to raise a venomous snake, and the list only has fishes of what that person has raised.
I totally agree here. If they had experience with scorps and other venomous invertebrates it would be better. As for his age not allowing him to purchase venomous animals, I think that’s not true. Medically significant, probably, but venomous probably not. I don’t see any issue with someone selling him species like Heterometrus, Pandius, Hadurus etc.

Major 78

Arachnosquire
Hmm. I did not know that almost all parthenogenic scorpions were deadly. I myself am not worried about getting stung, I handle pain much better than most. But I have young siblings in my house and I wouldn't want my selfish desire to raise a parthenogenic scorpion to put them in harms way. I HAVE had experience with venomous inverts, and also have handled venomous inverts. But what about Liocheles australasiae? They (as far as I know) are parthenogenic, and most compare their sting to a mosquito bite. Also, since you both are more experienced, what would you reccomend for a begginer that's not too venomous? Even if it is not parthenogenic. (Nothing too large, max 4 in) Thank you for the info @NYAN and @Liquifin !

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hmm. I did not know that almost all parthenogenic scorpions were deadly. I myself am not worried about getting stung, I handle pain much better than most. But I have young siblings in my house and I wouldn't want my selfish desire to raise a parthenogenic scorpion to put them in harms way. I HAVE had experience with venomous inverts, and also have handled venomous inverts. But what about Liocheles australasiae? They (as far as I know) are parthenogenic, and most compare their sting to a mosquito bite. Also, since you both are more experienced, what would you reccomend for a begginer that's not too venomous? Even if it is not parthenogenic. (Nothing too large, max 4 in) Thank you for the info @NYAN and @Liquifin !

I would recommend something in the family Vaejovidae. The genera Hadurus, Heterometrus and Pandius are good for beginners also.

There’s not too many ‘deadly’ scorpions relative to how many specued there are. The ones I can think of are the genera Leiurus, Androctonus, Parabuthus. there’s a few Hottentotta such as tamulus and gentili which can be lethal also. Tityus has a few which can be lethal, as does Centruroides, Mesobuthus and probably a couple others.

Many potent species may be medically significant or very potent, but not lethal in most cases. Hottentotta hottentotta is very potent for example, but isn’t likely to kill a person. You also have species which can permanently maim you such as Hemiscorpius lepturus.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Liocheles is a good one, I'd forgotten about those. Easy to care for as long as they have consistent humidity. I believe @gromgrom has some too. They're venom is basically non-existent, but good luck even getting them to try to sting. Very laid back, they'd rather just hunker down and try to hide. If you keep bugging them they try to pinch first.

dustinv91

Arachnopeon
hottentota isn’t deadly it’s venomous and very painful to be stung by. Recorded fatalities doesn’t make an animal deadly necessarily (bees kill people every year because of allergic reactions). Reading your responses though leads me to think you should hold off. I keep lots of tarantulas and scorpions. I don’t hold any of them because their isn’t any pro’s to it, it’s literally all cons. Bite, stung, and pinched to me and I could potentially drop it and kill it.

Major 78

Arachnosquire
Liocheles is a good one, I'd forgotten about those. Easy to care for as long as they have consistent humidity. I believe @gromgrom has some too. They're venom is basically non-existent, but good luck even getting them to try to sting. Very laid back, they'd rather just hunker down and try to hide. If you keep bugging them they try to pinch first.
Thank you! I have gotten in contact with gromgrom and will hopefully buy one from him!

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
Since we are no the subject, is Heterometrus longimanus parthenigenic? I do not buy it one bit, but now and then I see people claim they are, anyone more experienced can chime in? (Or is this taboo to talk about?)
but even if they aren't they are still an amazing scorpion to keep!

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Since we are no the subject, is Heterometrus longimanus parthenigenic? I do not buy it one bit, but now and then I see people claim they are, anyone more experienced can chime in? (Or is this taboo to talk about?)
I've heard the same thing, but I don't think there are any confirmed cases of it happening, so I'd assume hearsay.

dustinv91

Arachnopeon
Ive always heard the claims are with new individuals that were wild caught so its far more likely they mated before they were captured