LAWS OR REGULATIONS REGARDING TARANTULAS/SPIDERS IN PET STORE???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varren

Arachnopeon
The stupidest thing happened today.

I work at a small pet store catering to dogs cats reptiles fish ect. We have some cool little spiders too including a black widow. Now, bear in mind that they are not walking around the store, they are in little terrariums and there is NO WAY that they will ever escape.

I literally just had a customer walk in the front door. She asked me "do you guys have tarantulas in here" when i responded "yes of course" She told me that she will now take her business else ware.... LOL?! I don't understand.

Another guy came in the other day and asked if we were selling the spiders. He started talking about how it was illigal to sell spiders blah blah blah.

Do any of you know if there are any laws about possession or sale of spiders in PENNSYLVANIA?

here is a site i found ,but its about "exotic wildlife"
http://www.offthewallemporium.com/primates/lawswlex.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, man. I understand that you are pissed off, but there's no need to get mad for a couple of uneducated ignorants. T's are legal 24/7 X 365 in the U.S, nuff said.
Transylvania or not :-s

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
ME: Do you guys have tarantulas in here
EMPLOYEE: Yes of course
EMPLOYEE: We have many Chilean Rose Hair Tarantulas.

*Looks at enclosures*

ME: I will now take my business else ware...LOL?!

This is me at every LPS ever xD

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Yeah, man. I understand that you are pissed off, but there's no need to get mad for a couple of uneducated ignorants. T's are legal 24/7 X 365 in the U.S, nuff said.
Chris, not every state in the US is legal to sell Tarantulas. there are a few with restrictions. You can own them its just against the law to buy/sell them in that state.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Chris, not every state in the US is legal to sell Tarantulas. there are a few with restrictions. You can own them its just against the law to buy/sell them in that state.
Only discovered now that in Connecticut aren't legal, for instance :-/

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Yep 100% legal in pa. Don't worry about it I have been in sales my whole life some people just like to think they are right let him try to vial a complaint or whatever meanwhile don't worry about it :)

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I have picked up some sweet T's at the berks east coast show when it eas in penn a few years back

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Its usually a good show, albeit packed to the gills with people.
Agreed, about 8 years ago i think it was i was the first person in the door.
I ended up getting a
female O. violeceopes
Slings- smithi's, boehmi's , versi's, cyaneopupescens, and if memory serves, a couple P. rufiata too

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Legality of tarantula keeping is set by local jurisdiction (city, county, township, etc). Some areas the code is a bit vague. Others, it specifically states that tarantulas may not be kept as pets. Each person needs to know their local laws.
In some jurisdictions, it is legal to sell them in pet stores or at expos, but illegal for residents to own them. In most cases, unless someone makes a stink about it, or a hoarder gets raided, the law tends to look the other way.

The wording of the code in my county was changed a few years ago to specify no tarantulas. This was due to a hoarder who happened to have just a few tarantulas amongst the plethora of ill kept dogs, cats, reptiles and livestock over running his house. All it takes is for one idiot making the headlines to ruin it for the rest of us.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
On the subject of tattletales...why the double standards....informing OP of the rules and this right after? Lol

Not trying to pick on Chris but just saying.
Ah, got it. No, i was only talking to the user that started this thread (comment N°2).

He was angry about someone that disliked T's and the trade of those animals... i've said (to him, more or less) "no need, man, for get mad at ignorants". Back then i wasn't aware that T's were/are illegal in Connecticut, so i can't anymore say that in the whole U.S those are anyway fine to have.

What happened after between other users discussing about "swearing" i don't care. Thread starter used some not permitted words, other users let him notice that's against the site policy rules :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Only discovered now that in Connecticut aren't legal, for instance :-/
If I remember correctly Connecticut is one of those states where it is legal to own them but not legal to buy them. Which when you think about it makes absolutely no sense.
Another weird example involves ferrets which are illegal to buy in Massachusetts but legal in all the surrounding states the last time I read about it.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
If I remember correctly Connecticut is one of those states where it is legal to own them but not legal to buy them. Which when you think about it makes absolutely no sense.
Another weird example involves ferrets which are illegal to buy in Massachusetts but legal in all the surrounding states the last time I read about it.
Nope not legal to sell or import into the state or own..only reason I know is we just went through this. In another thread $500 fine per and they take them and possible 90 days in jail I think it was

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Which v
Which states are these

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Which v

Which states are these
I don't know all of them but Connecticut is one we just confirmed but I'm sure their are more. Also a lot of townships and city have there own ordinances against exotics especially in warmer climates

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Which v

Which states are these
An easy Google search of state, county, or city municipal codes for exotic animals will usually do the trick. I new about Connecticut from a video I watched and would have fact checked if I lived there ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.