Latrodectus (Theridiidae) Picture Thread

scorpion josh

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey yall i have what is possibly a stupid question but i dont know much about spiders im a scorpion kinda guy... but my question is: are the male just as venomous as the females? I heard and i think it may have been just an old wives tale that the males aren't venomous at all... could have been a myth, just curious

Josh

BertWright

Arachnopeon
Lactro pics

I agree with Burak - those are some AWESOME pictures - you must have a nice camera - and if it's digital, i must be a 100 megapixel.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
are the widow species equally venomous or is there one that is a cut above in terms of potancy?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The different species have different cocktails of venom so, to humans, I am sure there is one leader in toxicity. Though for inverts it is probably totally different.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is correct. We know that L.geo and L. pallidus are fairly low on the widow venom rankings. Conversely, I have read that L. tredecimguttatus is more toxic than average for a widow ( especially strong cramping effects ).

And you CAN get envenomated by a male Latrodectus sp., it just isn't nearly as bad ( they're small!! ).

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:clap: Hesps love them bees!

Well...geometricus has made its way up thru Orange County into Los Angeles.
This boy and girl was collected from my yard ...1st geo sighting in LA for me ...and Im always paying attention for such things. ;) :D

Last edited:

Burak

Arachnopeon
i wanna latrodectuses but im living in turkey and theese are dangerous spiders.i afraid i will not have any latrodectuses 'cause there is no antidote:(

Last edited:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wanna latrodectuses but im living in turkey and theese are dangerous spiders.i afraid i will not have any latrodectuses 'cause there is no antidote:(
Ive kept some Turkish girls ...treds. Not really that dangerous. ...no more then any other widow. Easy to keep and keep in a safe way. Ive handled them and never been bit ...at least not by any of my mid-east/Mediterranean flavors or North Americans. Not that I know of anyway... my legs are always shaking and stomach aches all the time anyway.. probably wouldnt know the difference. :rolleyes: ;) :D
Love to see some images of your local treds. I bet theres one right outside your front door right at this moment. ;) :?

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like buhus said, and a bit won't be that dangerous unless you are a child or weak elderly.

Burak

Arachnopeon
Ive kept some Turkish girls ...treds. Not really that dangerous. ...no more then any other widow. Easy to keep and keep in a safe way. Ive handled them and never been bit ...at least not by any of my mid-east/Mediterranean flavors or North Americans. Not that I know of anyway... my legs are always shaking and stomach aches all the time anyway.. probably wouldnt know the difference. :rolleyes: ;) :D
Love to see some images of your local treds. I bet theres one right outside your front door right at this moment. ;) :?
sir,
ive never thougth to handling a latrodectus before :D actually im really afraid of them.
and latrodectuses are illegal in Turkey{this is good i love destroy the rules:D}and there is another problem "shipment" if i take a decision about having a latr. and buy a widow it will probably die for cold or warm in the cargo. i do not trust cargo workers.

but
having a bit must be funny:D

Like buhus said, and a bit won't be that dangerous unless you are a child or weak elderly.
im just 17 years old:D

Raikiri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and there is another problem "shipment" if i take a decision about having a latr. and buy a widow it will probably die for cold or warm in the cargo. i do not trust cargo workers.
If you order from Europe I'm sure it/they will arrive alive. I send packages to similar distances and also receive without any problems. And anyway the weather is perfect there.. Just order juveniles or subadult-adult widows.

im just 17 years old:D
No problem.. You are in a very good age. And reactions to a bite depends on many things, perhaps a 60 years old man feel 'just' pain and a 20 years guy die. Who knows?:D Also probably it can't bite you, I know some guys who were 'bitten' by Latrodectus spp., they can't bite through their skin.

Burak

Arachnopeon
ok. i'll try to having a bite:D it looks like amazing who knows i'll die:D

yes man weather is perfect here but planes are flying:D and high places colder than low places :D
and if any widow escape here {turkey's climate is really useful for a widow} it will be really dangerous situation for other people {yess im really senstive person ^^:D} but one day i'll try it im sure that.its too early for me now.

Raikiri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have received packages what came by plane. Air is cold, that's right, but inside the plane the temp. is ok. I know a guy who put a Testudo hermanni into his luggage and it arrived without a cold ;) And I think you can order packages what come by train and ship. You should better worry about opening packages on borders. IMO if you send to the same continent that's no problem, but I know if you send to Africa from Europe or from Africa to Europe it will be opened.

If widows are packed well none of them can escape. And if you are this careful guy, have you thought about how many animal can travel continents? Just think about shipping building materials. Perhaps the shipped materials were placed outside. It can conatin fertile eggsacs, spiders, scorpions, etc.