lasiodorides polycuspulatus update

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Here's a photo of my female lasiodorides polycuspulatus, I received her on 7/11/17 and fed her that same week and she did eat....After that week she didn't eat anything at all and here we are now 8-1-17....I didn't expect her to darken up so quickly but I'm happy she did.

However I'm sure even though this came quick, it doesn't mean the actual molt will, I might have to wait a few days or it could be months lol....we'll see!!! I'm excited regardless of the wait time!!!!

For those of you interested in this species they are slow growers, so depending how you look at it that could be a downside.

Other than that, they are very calm, I don't get any threat displays and it has never tried to bite.

I usually stay away from slow growing species but one or two in my collection isn't a bad thing, so I have this species and Euathlus Sp. Red.

I'd definitely recommend this as a beginner T!

Ddannison

Arachnopeon
Here's a photo of my female lasiodorides polycuspulatus, I received her on 7/11/17 and fed her that same week and she did eat....After that week she didn't eat anything at all and here we are now 8-1-17....I didn't expect her to darken up so quickly but I'm happy she did.

However I'm sure even though this came quick, it doesn't mean the actual molt will, I might have to wait a few days or it could be months lol....we'll see!!! I'm excited regardless of the wait time!!!!

For those of you interested in this species they are slow growers, so depending how you look at it that could be a downside.

Other than that, they are very calm, I don't get any threat displays and it has never tried to bite.

I usually stay away from slow growing species but one or two in my collection isn't a bad thing, so I have this species and Euathlus Sp. Red.

I'd definitely recommend this as a beginner T!

Not enough of these in the hobby! Great spider

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There were a few that were imported within the last couple of years. I have some young slings, juvenile and soon to be adult. It's one of the best tarantulas to have, I just think people aren't into them to much which is kind of sad cause they don't know how great of a long lived species these are.

Ddannison

Arachnopeon
There were a few that were imported within the last couple of years. I have some young slings, juvenile and soon to be adult. It's one of the best tarantulas to have, I just think people aren't into them to much which is kind of sad cause they don't know how great of a long lived species these are.
I actually only saw one for the first time this past weekend while dropping off your 1.0 L. striatus to a guy who's female just recently molted. Having only seen pictures of them here and there, I was really impressed seeing them up close.

Update For you btw, I think my female is in premolt and was not showing any interest in your boy. Hoping she molts soon and he makes it through his upcoming pairing for another try

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
That's why I wanted to get my female first and breed more, to hopefully get more people interested....These females look very nice as adults, not sure of the male coloring.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually only saw one for the first time this past weekend while dropping off your 1.0 L. striatus to a guy who's female just recently molted. Having only seen pictures of them here and there, I was really impressed seeing them up close.

Update For you btw, I think my female is in premolt and was not showing any interest in your boy. Hoping she molts soon and he makes it through his upcoming pairing for another try
oh man that's to bad hopefully your female decides to molt soon. Best of luck with your friends female, hopefully they can be paired.

As for the polycuspulatus females get over 6" inches and very stocky. Lasiodorides polycuspulatus is a species that's in my top 10 favorites.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lasiodorides polycuspulatus - Immature Male.JPG
That's why I wanted to get my female first and breed more, to hopefully get more people interested....These females look very nice as adults, not sure of the male coloring.
I have an immature male they're just as good looking as the females, I've never seen a mature male though except on photos.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are lookers!!!!!

And you said the females reach 6"?

That's worth the slow growth rate!!
Yes they reach 6" inches +. @Philth probably has the longest living wild caught female since the 90's. I used to have lots of wild caught females back than as well. Yes they are slow grower but for some reason my female has out grown her brother. Her coming up molt she'll be at least 5" inches her brother is at least 4" inches. That's a big gap between the two. I do have other specimens that are not related to them.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had a couple of these slowly slowly slowly growing for a couple of months and they are just a beautiful tarantula. A little disappointing to hear that I will probably have to wait half a decade to have a big beautiful adult female but they really aren't much slower growing then my Pzb's.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
My Euathlus Sp. Red will both probably be juvies by the time this is a full adult lol

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lasiodorides striatus - Female.JPG Lasiodorides striatus - Mature Male (5).JPG
Are any other species from this genus in the hobby?
Yes! Lasiodorides striatus are on the for sale classified.

These photos are one of a female and the other is of a mature male that was sold to @Ddannison. I still have an immature male for my female.

According from taxonomists both polycuspulatus and striatus are cousins and so far I believe they are the only ones in the genus. L. striatus is a lot slower grower than polycuspulatus in my opinion.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You couldn't wait till I had excess spare income to drop this on me?:eek:

I thinking about selling a kidney over here
Well can't really comment about for sale on this thread. Let's just say I have two females and one immature male that are doing really good. One of the females is smaller than the other and technically they're not considered adults as of yet.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Thanks for posting your experience, I'm a fan of the long lived species despite slow growth. I just wish I could come by one of these near where I am! I will keep looking, did you have preferred resource for care when looking at keeping this species?

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
did you have preferred resource for care when looking at keeping this species?
What do you mean by this exactly?

I just researched care by checking out old posts on here and just went with that, care is very easy....Also after I posted,folks with experience with this species (thanks yall!!!) chimed in!!

Did that help?

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
What do you mean by this exactly?

I just researched care by checking out old posts on here and just went with that, care is very easy....Also after I posted,folks with experience with this species (thanks yall!!!) chimed in!!

Did that help?
I meant if there was another resource besides AB that you used. It does seem care is straightforward, thanks for clarifying

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Its very straight forward:

-water

- hide

-occasional mist of one side of the enclosure

-patients to watch it grow....sssslllloooowwwllllyyy lol

The only other sources that I get advice from about my Ts are the people I buy them from other than that I don't really trust online care sheets because usually they're incorrect.