LASIODORA REVISION.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I'm not super well versed in academic articles like this so forgive me for being a little confused. Am I understanding that Nhandu chromatus is being moved to Vitalius? And L. spinipes to Theraphosa, but I swear that species was under Theraphosa previously?

zsiciarz

Arachnopeon

Terrovax

Arachnopeon
Now we just need a Selenocosmia revision badly. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long lol

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Wow. My mind is blown. Really interesting stuff, especially the fact that there are now 4 recognized Theraphosa species!

DonLouchese

Arachnosquire
But that actually refers to Lasiodora parahybana and L. klugi being the same species...

Hmm :zipit:

Edit : Nvm read it wrong my bad.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Does anyone know why it was decided for Lasiodora revisions? I can think of many other genus that need a closer look.

Terrovax

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know why it was decided for Lasiodora revisions? I can think of many other genus that need a closer look.
Nearly all tarantula genera that aren't newly described are in need of modern revisions, and Lasiodora was especially due for one. Before this revision, there were 33 species in Lasiodora. This paper reduces it to 7. So many of its species were just synonyms of other taxa, nomen dubium (doubtful), or just placed into the wrong genus. The author of this revision worked on this paper for a very long time too. Just wait until Aphonopelma eventually gets split into different genera too lol

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Nearly all tarantula genera that aren't newly described are in need of modern revisions, and Lasiodora was especially due for one. Before this revision, there were 33 species in Lasiodora. This paper reduces it to 7. So many of its species were just synonyms of other taxa, nomen dubium (doubtful), or just placed into the wrong genus. The author of this revision worked on this paper for a very long time too. Just wait until Aphonopelma eventually gets split into different genera too lol
Well yes but still, I would say Aphonopelma before Lasiodora.

The question I have for them is what triggered Lasiodora over other genus. That would have to come from them which I won't hold my breathe.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Well yes but still, I would say Aphonopelma before Lasiodora.

The question I have for them is what triggered Lasiodora over other genus. That would have to come from them which I won't hold my breathe.
Lasiodora was an utter mess. It's a genus that was created in 1850, atleast 27 of the prior 33 species were described over 100 years ago using far less accurate methods (which shows in the results), and has included other horribly misidentified species split off through the years like Davus fasciatus (Lasiodora drymusetes), Davus ruficeps (Lasiodora zebrata), and even Grammostola rosea (Lasiodora porteri).

Aphonopelma, which was created in 1901, is a mess granted; however, Lasiodora has been far messier for far longer (and I'm still waiting on the DNA analytics for Ornithoctoninae spp just as eagerly lol).

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Lasiodora was an utter mess. It's a genus that was created in 1850, atleast 27 of the prior 33 species were described over 100 years ago using far less accurate methods (which shows in the results), and has included other horribly misidentified species split off through the years like Davus fasciatus (Lasiodora drymusetes), Davus ruficeps (Lasiodora zebrata), and even Grammostola rosea (Lasiodora porteri).

Aphonopelma, which was created in 1901, is a mess granted; however, Lasiodora has been far messier for far longer (and I'm still waiting on the DNA analytics for Ornithoctoninae spp just as eagerly lol).
Thanks good to know, that explains it to me.

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
That abstract is giving me a headache so I'll try to make it more easily digestible. Please correct me if I misinterpreted anything or made any other blunders untangling this.

The genus Lasidora now contains the following seven species: Lasiodora klugi, L. benedeni, L. parahybana, L. subcanens, L. camurujipe, L. sertaneja and L. franciscana. The old genus Crypsidromus is no longer considered a synonym of Lasiodora but its own valid genus, while the genus Proshapalopus is now a junior synonym of Crypsidromus.

Junior -> senior synonym (a synonym in zoological taxonomy refers to when a species is accidentally described multiple times under different names, with the senior synonym being the earliest description and the name we should now primarily refer to them as)

L. itabunae -> L. klugi
L. differens, L. mariannae, L. difficilis, L. erythrocythara,
and Acanthoscurria cristata -> L. benedeni
L. acanthognatha
-> L. parahybana
L. dulcicola
-> L. subcanens

Nhandu sylviae
-> Vitalius sorocabae

Proshapalopus anomalus
-> Crypsidromus isabellinus

Crypsidromus
bolivianus -> Acanthoscurria insubtilis

Genera transfers and combined names (old -> new)

Lasiodora brevibulbus -> Crypsidromus brevibulbus
Lasiodora carinatus -> Crypsidromus carinatus
Lasiodora icecu -> Crypsidromus icecu
Lasiodora puriscal -> Crypsidromus puriscal
Lasiodora rubitarsus -> Crypsidromus rubitarsus

Proshapalopus multicuspidatus -> Crypsidromus multicuspidatus

Lasiodora lakoi -> Megaphobema lakoi

Lasiodora spinipes
-> Theraphosa spinipes

Nhandu chromatus
-> Vitalius chromatus

Lasiodora sternalis
-> Acanthoscurria melloleitaoi*

(*the combination Acanthoscurria sternalis is taken, so A. melloleitaoi is proposed as a new name for the revised Lasiodora species)

Nomen dubium (species that are no longer considered valid for a variety of reasons)

Crypsidromus fallax

Lasiodora saeva
Lasiodora
striatipes
Lasiodora moreni
Lasiodora bahiensis
Lasiodora citharacantha
Lasiodora cryptostigma
Lasiodora dolichosterna
Lasiodora fracta
Lasiodora pleoplectra

Trechona pantherina

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks good to know, that explains it to me.
Yep, anytime. As far as Aphonopelma goes, a lot of the work has already been done IMHO, but let me explain. The main problem as I see it with Aphonopelma is the type specimen, or first specimen in the genus, was A. seemanni in 1901, which is more of a tropical species hailing from southern Central America. The "Aphonopelma" spp native to the US and Mexican deserts that we commonly think of might be related, but not near enough to share the genus. What started happening recently and fairly quietly was the resurrection of Dugesiella spp, a genus that was previously synonomized with Aphonopelma. In 2022, Aphonopelma anitahoffmannae, Aphonopelma duplex, and Aphonopelma serratum were moved to Dugesiella and it's thought a lot of other desert species might start moving to Dugesiella from Aphonopelma in the near future as well.

Now, what makes me believe a lot of the work is already done is that the major 2016 US Aphonopelma revision included DNA work. All those species are already "mapped to each other" so to say. If they figure out how even one of these Dugesiella sp "maps" to even a single one of the US Aphonopelma, the remainder should all fall in line fairly quickly and that's a significant chunk of the 50 odd species in Aphonopelma.

Now Ornithoctoninae spp though.......