Species Lasiodora parahybana

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My baby chaco has looked like yours since about December. I have a female Chile which now looks as though she'll moult after being mated successfuly about 4 times over the past month. :mad: Her abdomen is very very black :(

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think I got lucky. My G. aureostriata molted today. It's been in pre-molt for a couple of weeks or so. From what I've heard I was really expecting it to take several more weeks for the molt to actually happen.

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pics of one of my L. parahybana slings. He/She is about 1.5 inches. Almost doubled in size after molt.

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very nice!

Is that bluish tint just the flash?

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The bluish tint is not from the flash, that's its actual color. It's really neat! Very good looking sling. I have another that is the same color. The other one didn't want to take pictures though. :)

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what kind of container is she in?

Looks suspiciously like some kind of fishbowl... :?

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A fish bowl?? What are you smokin? :) It's a tupperware container. It's about 8 inches wide and 4 inches deep.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ROTF...... Betta bowls are cool for spiderlings. I have one I will soon use for one my my slings. Its not really a bowl its like a kritter keeper with a cover. Looks cool. :eek:

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm.. looks like my T. blondi slings. Anyway it's a nice one!!

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It almost looks like a P. cancerides sling....but looks aren't everything!

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
RaZeDaHeLL666 ... I'm new to the internet abbreviations. WHat is ROTF?

Blkcat.... I have no idea when it will lose the blueish tint. I kind of hope it stays that way.

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks! Trying to figure out all the abbreviations and lingo.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
here's another...LMAO (laughing my a** off) and some slightly different ones too
OBT = orange bitey thing
GBB = green bottle blue

and many many more...

I had no idea the L. parahybana slings are blue...I'm about to order one myself if not this week then early next week after I get my paycheck ;) Also getting a P. murinus (OBT) sling and a GBB sling.

How long have you had yours? I hear they grow very fast, doubling in size per molt sounds about right, especially at such an early stage. If you're curious about growth rates of different species try THIS site...unfortunately your sling is not one of the species he keeps :( But if you check invertcare's site and caresheets you can see which species are considered fast growers like your sling and compare growth rates. Brachypelma's seem staggeringly slow to grow...1/4" each time it molts or something sluggish.

if you can think of any important details about your sling and it's setup I'd like to hear it. Can never have too much information...at worst it'll just drive ya nuts trying to remember it all ;)

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the tips! I knew what GBB was, but I couldn't figure out OBT. I had no idea parahybana slings had a blueish tint either. They are definitely good looking slings. I've had them for about a month now. Got them at about 1", maybe a little smaller. They are about 1 1/2" now, maybe slightly bigger. I can't wait till they're big enough to sex! I'm hoping for 2 out of the three to be female.

As far as setups for the slings, I have them in clear tupperware containers that are about 8" wide by 4" deep. I have about 2" of peat moss, half of a small pot for a hide, and about a 3" diameter water dish with small rocks in it. It's a basic setup, nothing special. I mist once, maybe twice, a week. The wide water dish helps with humidity.

Two of the three are eating small live crickets. The other one is still too chicken to eat anything live. I have to prekill small crickets for that one. And it will only eat crickets. I've tried prekilled meal worms and waxworms but it will not eat them. None of them will eat the meal worms or waxworms yet. I don't know if I've told you anything you didn;t already know, but that's my setup.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
edesign said:
here's another...LMAO (laughing my a** off) and some slightly different ones too
OBT = orange bitey thing
GBB = green bottle blue

and many many more...
Didn't OBT originally mean "Orange Babboon Tarantula" or something like that? :? I thought the "bitey thing" name came from its demeanor and not its actual common name.

Oh, and thanks for that invertcare site link! I'm liking the relative comparison of the growth rates!!! :D

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
thanks...the last paragraph may come in handy, i can get small crickets here no problem so hopefully it will accept them right off the bat or soon after. No big deal prekilling them either. hopefully i'll be posting similar pics in the next couple of weeks...gonna have to wait til next week to put my order in, car note came today lol.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
starzzzcollide said:
Didn't OBT originally mean "Orange Babboon Tarantula" or something like that? :? I thought the "bitey thing" name came from its demeanor and not its actual common name.
ya know...i'm pretty sure you're right, i stand semi-corrected! thanks :)

Oh, and thanks for that invertcare site link! I'm liking the relative comparison of the growth rates!!! :D
you're welcome...it comes in quite handy although it is missing a few of the relatively common species, overall it's excellent imho.

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
Koldaar, you aid your slings were about 1" before the molt? Mine just molted a week or 2 ago from about almost 1/2" to almost 1". Are they pretty fast growers? Mine also has that bluish color too.