Large L. Parahybana with broken fang

ragingcobalt

Arachnopeon
I was watching my T clean its fangs this afternoon and noticed that its left fang is broken about 1/3 of the way up. I have a few questions.

1. can the T still eat?

2. will the fang come back after a molt?

3. if it can't eat normal food is there something else i can feed it?

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
1. Yes, if it still has the other one there is no reason I know of that shouldn't allow it to.

2. Yes, Tarantulas can regenerate their fangs last time I checked.

3. I've heard of something called "cricket soup", but beyond that other people have to answer this question.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. It should still be able to eat, but if it has trouble you can prekill/maim prey items. Failing that, do a search here on "roach soup" (or cricket soup, I forget) and you'll find a thread where a guy feeds a fangless blondi said soup.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1.) It can still eat .

2.) Yup . And if not , most of it will .

3.) I heard of cricket soup or whatever it is called before too . Or you can just pre - kill .

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im currently nursing a p. pulcher...
Both of it's fangs are broken off, almost all the way.....
Only 1/8 of it's original broken fangs are showing....
I feed it Cricket soup,..... i mash up the cricket's and then i put it in a dish...
and leave it for a a day or two... then repeat...
I have him in a nursing enclosure... It's just a smaller enclosure, like a semi enclosure/icu, i do this to make sure he finds his meal....
Im not sure if anyone else is using a nursing cage, but it's working for me,
So im keeping him in there until he molt's....

peace
Armando

ragingcobalt

Arachnopeon
good to hear it can still eat and even better that it can regen its broken fang. however its odd its fang broke since its been 5 months since its last molt any ideas guys.

maxi_kdu

Arachnopeon
I heard and thought it reasonable that if a T already prepare to molt and it suddenly lose a limb or fang, it can't regenerate in the forthcoming molt but the molt after it.
If it's not the case, the fang will grow back with the forthcoming molt.

And like regenerated limbs, I found my L. Parahybana's regenerated fang was not in a perfect shape (full functional but not that sharp) and need one more molt to make it look like an original one.

Interestingly, my only T that have ever lost a fang is my L. Parahybana too, and it lost her left and right fang respectively in two consecutive instar. And when i read a local forum, ppl's T lost a fang and it was A L. Parahybana... Do they tend to bite the lid more then other species or what?

Valarya

Arachnopeon
Ressurecting this old thread because our 7" LP has also broken off both her fangs because of the wire-mesh screen lid on the enclosure.

It seems in most of my searching the species w/ the most broken fangs tend to be LPs. What's up with that?

Next up: searching cricket soup. :(

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ressurecting this old thread because our 7" LP has also broken off both her fangs because of the wire-mesh screen lid on the enclosure
It sucks you had to learn the lesson the hard way, but mesh screens should always be avoided. I at one time had one on an enclosure because I got a good deal on it, only to see my Pamphobeteus antinous getting a tarsal claw stuck in it while climbing the lid and getting acclimated. That was enough to scare me into a prompt rehousing.

synyster

Arachnobaron
A thread about a T.stirmi that lost fangs during molt can be read HERE. Cricket soup is discussed in that thread also ;)