Landlord just found out about my Ts

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had an emergency at my apartment this morning (water heater plumbing began leaking; thank god I was home!) and my landlord stopped by to pay the repairmen. She wanted to come in to see her old place and loved how I'm taking care of it. Then she saw my tanks and was like "oooh, what's in those?" I immediately started sweating and told her tarantulas. She said she loved spiders and wanted to see 'em! She thought they were so neat!

I can't tell you how relieved about that I am. I've been nervous she'd find out about 'em and make me get rid of my collection (not allowed to have pets). Sweet, I can breathe easy with my kids now!

And yes, I know and understand how irresponsible and underhanded it is to keep them without her knowledge, in a place that she owns. I just love tarantulas and was pressing my luck.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, if she changes your mind, you can always send 'em to me. ;)

We need to get together one of these days anyway, since we're pretty close to each other anyway.

--Joe

Rex Libris

Arachnopeon
Hehe! Every landlord I've ever had has said, essentially, that pets that live in tanks don't count as pets. Except for college dorm rules.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, if she changes your mind, you can always send 'em to me. ;)

We need to get together one of these days anyway, since we're pretty close to each other anyway.

--Joe
That what I thought I would have to do. Fortunately, it looks like I'm in the clear. I suppose it also means a few more Ts won't hurt :D

I've thought about coming to one of the Tampa meetings; its sometimes tough to get weekends free though. I'm always up for meeting fellow T enthusiasts.

Hehe! Every landlord I've ever had has said, essentially, that pets that live in tanks don't count as pets. Except for college dorm rules.
Yeah, she was cool with fish (in fact, she left me with 3 bettas when I moved in) but you know how people get with spiders. They can get lose, bite and kill you, take over the building, and overthrow the government :rolleyes:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, if you ever go to one of the meetings, let me know and we can meet up while you're in town.

rexi_doll

Arachnopeon
Yeah, most dont see a problem with MOST tank pets, however it is still a good idea to ask LOL! I know snakes tend to be a different story though.

Congrats on the approval though !!!!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Back when I had an apartment I never worried about tarantulas...my 5' Blackthroat monitor on the other hand....

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
my old landlord flipped out when he saw 1 tank with a rosie in it... then threatened to evict me a couple weeks later when he came by (unannounced, he loved to do that) and saw the tank still there... i was like "dude... its an empty tank... my spider died.." and he was still like "you need to get that thing out of here.. your lease says no pets.."

****hole..

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You are SO lucky. My old landlord HATED spiders. Luckily he didnt find out ever ;P

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I'm happy to hear everything worked out for you Jeff. Although, I still think your GBB wants to come live with me ;)

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice! Had the same run in with my landlady before I moved in. She said I can't keep pets but I brought them in anyway. :p

The other landlord thought they were cool and asked me to do a PP presentation to the other dormers about T's in one of our get-togethers. :D

Its fun to watch the look on their faces when you open their cage. {D

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Well thats a bit of burden you dont have to carry. happy your not homeless hold a sign "Need money for crickets, I have many Slings to feed" {D

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I have the opposite problem . I own a house and rent rooms out to people . I have had many people want to move in until the find out about my collection and then the deal is suddenly off . My current tenants are OK with my pets but every time they find a spider in the house they come and get me to tell me that one of mine must have gotten out .

winwin

Arachnoknight
That's great for you man! I'm also very happy with the way the people I live with reacted when I told them I was gonna keep tarantulas. :D

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have the opposite problem . I own a house and rent rooms out to people . I have had many people want to move in until the find out about my collection and then the deal is suddenly off . My current tenants are OK with my pets but every time they find a spider in the house they come and get me to tell me that one of mine must have gotten out .
I think your tenants are nice people to tell you if they found an escapee rather then crush it immediately. Of course it would be nice too if they only cried wolf when the wolf is out...

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks everyone, the only other one I'd be worried about is the property manager. He's a grumpy jackass who loves to find ways to get under others' skins. But he has never bothered me or come around my place.

Boris, that does suck. Thats a different dynamic I hadn't considered and I'm sure it makes for a more difficult sell of your place

Chaika

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ha-ha, we told our landlady that I had unusual pets before we moved in! She wasn't keen on them but said that since she'd not going to be living there she couldn't see any reason why we shouldn't keep them. Told her about the roach colony too :D. They did ask us to take care that nothing was loose in the house after we leave though ;P

You were lucky with yours :) Congrats!

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ha-ha, we told our landlady that I had unusual pets before we moved in! She wasn't keen on them but said that since she'd not going to be living there she couldn't see any reason why we shouldn't keep them. Told her about the roach colony too :D. They did ask us to take care that nothing was loose in the house after we leave though ;P

You were lucky with yours :) Congrats!
LOL I think a roach colony would be pushing it for any landlord! As much as I wish I could start one for my hungry, hungry Ts, I don't think I would (I hate roaches ::shudder::)