land speed record

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have seen some very fast scorpions over the years and I'm wondering If there have been any reliable studies to determine which species holds the record when it comes to covering ground to catch prey or fleeing?

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Probably not...Although when Smeringurus run, they almost take off!

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lychas mucronatus and Hottentotta jayakari salei are EXTREMELY fast....

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see they are available from quite a few suppliers. 6-8cm is not too small.

Peloquin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
O.wahlbergi are very fast and will jump at prey (and your finger).

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have seen some very fast scorpions over the years and I'm wondering If there have been any reliable studies to determine which species holds the record when it comes to covering ground to catch prey or fleeing?
I think it would be difficult to make a reliable study, there is too much variation between individuals, not to mention with a factor like speed of movement the statistical number of measurements required in order to come up with a convincing value of speed would be huge, thinking of the variants involved you'd probably need to have a sample of least 100 for any species. Of course zoologists tend to be relatively awful statisticians so you might have a few papers published on the subject, but unless they accurately treat their non-determinate errors I would be dubious.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
The fastest I have seen are V.coahuilae...these are little guys (1-2") from New Mexico...the can really fly when they want too.

John
];')

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, I'm makng a note of all this info so I'll know what to hunt when/if I'm in the right locale.