Genus Lampropelma

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is what I thought too, but I've also heard they are sexually diamorphic, so I'm just not sure. Mine is not even close to being that purple, so I'm thinking it is probably male. Thank you for sharing your pictures!
They are only purple under light. That was in my bathroom and with a flash. And like I said, I'm pretty sure those are males.

FoxtheLviola

Arachnosquire
Hmm. I mean mine isn't really all that purple at all, even under light. And it is about 3 inches. Why do you think those 2 are males?

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm. I mean mine isn't really all that purple at all, even under light. And it is about 3 inches. Why do you think those 2 are males?
Ventrally they are males, plus I think they have a 5 to 1 male to female egg sac ratio. I'll know 100% when they molt, but until then I'd put money down that they are males.

FoxtheLviola

Arachnosquire
Ahh, I was finally able to get a look at mine ventrally last night and it also looks male. I've never heard that male to female ratio thing. It will be interesting to see if yours turn out male.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ahh, I was finally able to get a look at mine ventrally last night and it also looks male. I've never heard that male to female ratio thing. It will be interesting to see if yours turn out male.
I'll sex all 3 next time they molt, and report back.

FoxtheLviola

Arachnosquire
Alright, that would be great. I'll do the same with mine, it should be due to molt relatively soon.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, that would be great. I'll do the same with mine, it should be due to molt relatively soon.
I had one molt about a month ago from 1.5 to 2.5. I didn't see any flap but I didn't have a microscope either. My 3.5 inch and my other 2.5 inch both have huge abdomens. So I'm thinkin impending molt. I feed em a cricket a week. I am thinking about powerfeeding my biggest male so that he molts mature when my big 8 inch female molts. And if he does indeed turn into a female GREAT! There are not very many L.V's here in Canada. So the more sacs I can make, the more I can promote the hobby, the more I can sell at really affordable prices. YAY! But again, I believe they are all males! Except my 8 inch beauty!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
violaceopes can be ricky to sex by colour alone as juveniles. Males often get a purple hue, females often get a slightly brown or olive hue. They are very easy to sex ventrally though so it's not an issue.

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After years of thinking of getting this sp and not getting any a coworker who found out I keep T's brought me three slings from a sac he hatched. Really happy with them so far. Very well tempered and didn't bolt as fast as I expected when i rehoused them. Guess it will change when they grow up :happy:

DSC_2017.jpg

DSC_2023.jpg

Edit: removed flickr links and uploaded to AB.

Last edited:

Monkeyock

Arachnopeon
I rehoused my Lv last night. My fiancé snapped this wicked pic with her iPhone. The saturation us probably high due to the flash but still...