Lampropelma violaceopes

Ian Brush

Arachnopeon
What can you guys tell me about my new 1" L.v. sling through your experience?

Ian Brush

Arachnopeon
Oh, no. I am not clueless on keeping this sling. I just wanted to know what people who have had this species liked about them and what they experienced. Looking more for stories than for information. Sorry, that wasn't very clear

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My advice to everyone is to keep an eye about temperature and moistness, because as slings often they are pretty on the delicate side. It isn't something written in stone, eh, anyway :)

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Is there a size where you would reduce the amount of moist substrate, since I got mine I kept it on moist substrate and around 68-70 Fahrenheit. Just wish the males had a longer life span. I've heard 2 to 3 years, but idk. I'm sure the next molt will not be as soon as the last 2.

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Is there a size where you would reduce the amount of moist substrate, since I got mine I kept it on moist substrate and around 68-70 Fahrenheit. Just wish the males had a longer life span. I've heard 2 to 3 years, but idk. I'm sure the next molt will not be as soon as the last 2.
Looks like you have a MM, so I wouldn't expect it to molt again. I always kept mine moist, even as sub adults or adults.

cold blood

Staff member
Theyre tropical, I would keep them just a little warmer than that...I am surprised you didn't have issues at those temps.

Males can mature in a year, two max....and don't expect them to last years after maturity like many NWs.

Yours is indeed a MM.

Is there a size where you would reduce the amount of moist substrate
NO, they should always have deep sub....not only do they burrow, but the deeper sub will help maintain moisture levels in the sub better, too...which is pretty critical.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Deep moist sub. But with some arboreal elements to the cage as well.
Slings.
15494938532692560893473128607519.jpg
Juvies.
15494912610016155631875536755704.jpg
And at 4-6" size.
15494913872526440605446121207880.jpg
They are extremely heavy excavators. The substrate level in the cage will generally double as they burrow more. Super fast growth. Near 5" first year.

And for adults. 5 gallon tank.
15494935428526051483143698859290.jpg

Last edited:

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Never reduced moisture amount, but I was was curious.

Ya I got it in July 2018 at 1 inch and your saying it is already mature. Sooo anyone need em for a breeding project in the midwest. Just send a message.

Just lucky I guess when it comes to not having issues, but I probably jinxed myself. My P. atrichromatus should be molting in the next week or so.

So my question would be for a female how much would the growth be for a female in 8 months. I know there are variables of course, but should be slower? Curious let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minty

@londontarantulas
Hopefully you get a female. My favourite species by far. I can only echo what those above me have said. Deep, moist, substrate. Good ventilation, higher temperatures, arboreal set up with good amount of substrate for burrowing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That was such a typical viper69 response - short and to the point ;) - that I just spit coffee all over my keyboard from bursting out laughing
Indeed!

The OP asked a very non-specific question.

Thus I told him/her a factual piece of information. Maybe in the future the OP will think more carefully before posting.

I don’t always have time to read more than one post in a given thread.

Ian Brush

Arachnopeon
I didn't quite like it :(

Thank you everyone for your help (the ones who didn't just tell me it would die) I really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator: