Lampropelma Violaceopes-temperment

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So,
At arachnocon north and the subsequent reptile expo, I picked up a sling, of these little beauties, I am versed in their housing and requirements, and fast growth rate, and of course hoping for female (but at half inch Im not even going to try sexing it yet)

However, there seems to be conflicting imagry and source of their temperment I figured it would be akin to a pokie Skittish fleeing and rearing when provoked and cornered. so tell me those who are owners, what is the general defensive behavior of yours? Strike? flee? doesnt care?

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
Mine is about 1" and definitely flees when agitated. Haven't seen a strike pose yet from him/her.

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got a few in the 3" range and they are "flight not fight"

Very hidey spidey and quick. All my Taps are like that

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Well my girl is around the 5+" mark and she is typically very shy, but she can get rather defensive when approaching a molt. I think she is great. I need to transfer her from a terrestrial to a semi terrestrial/arboreal enclosure, cause she is outgrowing the one she is in.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just received a 6-inch female today and she is very skittish and flighty, yet at the same time very willing to strike and (yes) stridulate. Not very fun - both my Poecilotheria formosa and Heteroscodra maculata females are much calmer.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes they tend flee more than they would try and strike or showa threat pose.... on the other hand i cant say that about my L. nigerrimum... she means business.... once she feel any vibration arround her, she would just flips on her back:wall:.... i find her to be one of my more defensive T in my collect...

Congrats... good luck with new addition...

Peace,
Armando

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the prompt reply, I have to say it is one of my first sexual dimorphic species so I am intrested in watching it molt and grow male or female, and it appears to already be a teleporter, I am going to rehouse it in a bit but even at sling size it decided to eat the offered cricket before it even hit the ground, I was needless to say impressed, its deffiniatly a good add.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the prompt reply, I have to say it is one of my first sexual dimorphic species so I am intrested in watching it molt and grow male or female, and it appears to already be a teleporter, I am going to rehouse it in a bit but even at sling size it decided to eat the offered cricket before it even hit the ground, I was needless to say impressed, its deffiniatly a good add.
Be prepared for a lot of this when it gets larger:

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a female pushing 8 in easy and she is very slow and deliberate till she feels any slight vibration then she is just gone, to the bottom of her hole.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a female pushing 8 in easy and she is very slow and deliberate till she feels any slight vibration then she is just gone, to the bottom of her hole.
Mine is around 7" but she needs a more consistent vibration to do this. I have never seen a thread pose from her and when distant from a molt she is rather a display T than a secretive one. But still, she is the only T of mine, that escaped from her enclosure during maintenance and finished at the floor, using my body as a race-cource.

H.C.

Arachnopeon
Mine is about 1.5-2inches in body length and is rarely seen anywhere but the bottom of her tube-hide. The few times she has come out to the top (in the middle of the night after prolonged quiet) it has taken very little in the way of noise or vibration to make her teleport to the bottom again. Such as a door closing downstairs.

Struckanerve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my girl is about 7.5in and i have never seen a threat display from her. Also she is always out and about. Scares the crap out of the ladies when i bring them in my room... lmao

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thought I'd chime back in.

I did a rehouse of the sling into a small .25 gal display vivarium with growing moss and woood and the like, transfer wasn't bad, it was a dart and sit runner but nothing too worrysome went rather well really.

since giving it an actual hide rather then its pilljar home all I see from it is its arse hanging out as it firmly declares "you cant see me" by burrowing its head in the start of the tube it has made. quite cute.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1''-5'' in a year for mine its skittish but thats about it great display species!!!! fast growing u wont be dissopinted one of my fav. T's

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As a adult mine tends to be out in the open most of the time which makes them great for display. I took this picture while trying to snap a picture of her drinking from her water dish. They tend to be pretty standoffish at times.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lampropelma violaceopes is pretty skittish as spiderlings but, manageable. The adults are pretty laid back and will tolerate minimal handling. In fact one of my friends that visited southeast asia hand tranported a few with no problems.

I hope this helps,

Brian