Lampropelma Violaceopes Gorwth speed?

JC014

Arachnopeon
A seller is offering me a 9 inch female Lampropelma Violaceopes (Singapore Blue) saying it was 2.5 years old, Is it true? do they really grow that fast?
and is it still worth buying or is it too old?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A seller is offering me a 9 inch female Lampropelma Violaceopes (Singapore Blue) saying it was 2.5 years old, Is it true? do they really grow that fast?
As for growth rate, they do have a fast growth rate. As spiderlings they are already large and spindly (not body) when you account for their leg span. In my limited experience (I've owned 2) they are incredibly good eaters, and at least when young, INCREDIBLE burrowers. Of all the species I have owned, I've never seen a species dig so many interconnected tunnels. I know there are other species that do this, I haven't owned those.Well you can tell the gender by it's color. I've heard varying reports on their growth rate, one person told me 9" for females at times, others have told me typically 6-7" for females. So I don't really know. Based on info I heard, it sounds reasonable.

Males are not pretty IMO, olive green, plus they have a little white dot underneath on their abdomen that develops really early one.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
At lot of times the maximums are used for species, when in actuality, most specimens are 10 to 20% less than that. Plus, some people don't measure spiders well and tend to exaggerate a little. Violaceopes are typically more like around 7". 9" would be quite large. They grow fast but if it truly is 9" (I have my doubts) it would probably take 4 or 5 years to hit a huge size like that. Violaceopes are still brought in from the wild and the guy may have gotten one as an adult/subadult, and had it 2 1/2 years. One of the risks of buying adults of fast-growing tropical species is that you can wind up with a spider past it's prime, that's too old to breed, or that may die of old age before long. The bigger it is, the more likely that is. If you can get a sac out of her, she'll pay for herself (my biggest female double-clutched). As far as if it's worth it, that's up to you and your situation, and how much the seller is asking. We can't make that decision for you.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
I haven't had violaceopes, but I have nigerrimum and sp "Borneo Black," and they grow very quickly. Mine are about six months old and they're getting around the 3-4" mark. I'm very excited. I wouldn't doubt that if the spider you're trying to buy is CB that it could be 7-9" in 2.5 years.

At lot of times the maximums are used for species, when in actuality, most specimens are 10 to 20% less than that. Plus, some people don't measure spiders well and tend to exaggerate a little.
Amen to that!

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From a sling to 6+ inches in a year is quite normal.
If the spider is actually 9 inches then I would probably refuse it as it is probably a very old specimen and this species does not live that long.(compared to many other species)

Last edited:

JC014

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the advice and info that you all have given me about this beautiful T, based on your comments ive made up my mind about not buying an adult specimen due to all the risk and decided to buy a sling since ive just found out that this sp grows pretty fast compared to other ts. Besides slings are cheaper and i might be able to acquire more that one female by buying three slings and also get slings of other sp:biggrin:
And THANKS for your help:happy:

Mark weller

Arachnopeon
As for growth rate, they do have a fast growth rate. As spiderlings they are already large and spindly (not body) when you account for their leg span. In my limited experience (I've owned 2) they are incredibly good eaters, and at least when young, INCREDIBLE burrowers. Of all the species I have owned, I've never seen a species dig so many interconnected tunnels. I know there are other species that do this, I haven't owned those.Well you can tell the gender by it's color. I've heard varying reports on their growth rate, one person told me 9" for females at times, others have told me typically 6-7" for females. So I don't really know. Based on info I heard, it sounds reasonable.

Males are not pretty IMO, olive green, plus they have a little white dot underneath on their abdomen that develops really early one.
When you say dot.?... Where on the abdomin is it visible.?... I have a 3 incher at the moment, and I can't see any dot on or around the furrow.?
So does that mean I have a female.?
It is rather blue other than the green.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
I haven't had violaceopes, but I have nigerrimum and sp "Borneo Black," and they grow very quickly. Mine are about six months old and they're getting around the 3-4" mark. I'm very excited.
Good to know, as I picked up a L. nigerrimum sling last month. It molted once already and is already significantly bigger.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When you say dot.?... Where on the abdomin is it visible.?... I have a 3 incher at the moment, and I can't see any dot on or around the furrow.?
So does that mean I have a female.?
It is rather blue other than the green.
I don't recall. However at 3" too small for the ones I had for the color change. 3.5-4" is usually when the color changes. It happens in 1 molt