Lampropelma sp. "Borneo Black" concerns

JulianH1001

Arachnopeon
Hey y'all. Earlier this week I saw that Jamie had 4'' females of species I adored: P. auratus and L. "Borneo Black". Knowing they were likely single offerings, I ordered them straight away.

They got here today after a USPS delay. The auratus seems fine, but the Borneo Black has us really worried. She's extremely lethargic and unreactive. This is a species famed for its speed and skittishness, but it barely moves when brushed with a paintbrush. It doesn't feel limp or loose - there's resistance from its muscles, but it seems hesitant to use them. There's no death-curl like posing either, just the classic knees-around-head defense pose. She's up against the side of the cup, so I can drip water on to her fangs, but it hasn't changed much - little to no movement for hours.

Is it likely she entered premolt while shipping? If so, will she be able to get on to her back effectively? Or does this sound like an injury? Abdomen looks fine, but there was some orange/brownish stains on the paper towel. Regurgitation from stress perhaps?

Let me know if there's anything other than leaving her alone that I should do, please! I can post pictures of her in a bit as well.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would get her into her new enclosure and let her adjust. Some of them don't deal with the process of shipping as well as others - it's a big deal for some, especially at the larger sizes. Don't let this behaviour fool you. Providing a photo would be helpful.
The orange/brownish stain could be feces. It isn't always white.

JulianH1001

Arachnopeon
IMG_0494[1].JPG IMG_0495[1].JPG
I would get her into her new enclosure and let her adjust. Some of them don't deal with the process of shipping as well as others - it's a big deal for some, especially at the larger sizes. Don't let this behaviour fool you. Providing a photo would be helpful.
The orange/brownish stain could be feces. It isn't always white.
She's in a deli cup with a tiny bit of substrate. Is it worth forcing her (which is what it'll end up being, since she's not willing to move on her own) into the enclosure I've got for her with a hide and water bowl? If she's about to molt I want to leave her alone, but I don't want her to feel unsafe either.

The best pictures I can get right now:

Last edited by a moderator:

JulianH1001

Arachnopeon
Appreciate the help so much. I'll move her into the enclosure asap.

As an update, she's uncompressed herself and stretched out, and has moved around the cup quite a bit. Is this species perhaps really photosensitive? It seems like she started to chill as soon as the room was pitch black.

ItsFebreze

Arachnopeon
Appreciate the help so much. I'll move her into the enclosure asap.

As an update, she's uncompressed herself and stretched out, and has moved around the cup quite a bit. Is this species perhaps really photosensitive? It seems like she started to chill as soon as the room was pitch black.
I bought the same species from them as a female, mine is incredibly photosensitive and never comes out during the day. If she's caught out when my lights come on in the morning, she sits in the corner in a stress pose until they turn off.

JulianH1001

Arachnopeon
She's in the enclosure now - pretty much walked out the cup into it this time! My only other Asian arboreal is a P. formosa spiderling, so I didn't have much experience with this level of photosensitivity. The combination of light and shipping stress pretty much made the thing catatonic for a while, and that's wild - we probably could have picked her up by hand and placed her into the enclosure (fat chance we try that though).

ItsFebreze

Arachnopeon
Yeah I definitely wouldn't try that. Mine isnt as bolty as my larger Poecilotheria, but is definitely much quicker to threat posture and bite. It's about as close to a crackhead with 8 legs as I've seen.