Lair of a brown recluse

schnautzr

Arachnosquire
Good idea, I haven't seen many pics of them other than in enclosures as well. I'll have to find one and get a better picture though hopefully with that mean looking face of theirs and the hourglass in full display lol.
You find a lot of brown recluse? All over, 80% right? Can you do the thread a favor and take a good picture of one of the brown recluse you find in and around your home. Not the one in this hole, but one of the others you see so often, one of the none reclusive ones with an hour glass.
Um...you mean violin, don't you? Brown recluses don't have an hourglass. Suddenly the photographic confirmation seems a bit more important.

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Um...you mean violin, don't you? Brown recluses don't have an hourglass. Suddenly the photographic confirmation seems a bit more important.
Yeah I was mixed up with a black widows marking absent mindedly and I see what he did there talking about a reclusive "hourglass" lol, anyways one has an hour glass, the other has a violin, both have something to distinguish them and both are native to my area, I've been out of the hobby for a good while and don't even keep any species so it shouldn't be taken major if I misuse terms

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the spider appears to be hanging in a web. if so, not a Loxosceles. Maybe a Pholcidae. Not to say that you do not come across recluse in western Texas where 4 species occur: Loxosceles apachea, L. blanda, L. devia, and L reclusa (probably 5 species since L. rufescens arrived in the US).

Last edited:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
the spider appears to be hanging in a web. if so, not a Loxosceles. Maybe a Pholcidae. Not to say that you do not come across recluse in western Texas where 4 species occur: Loxosceles apachea, L. blanda, L. devia, and L reclusa (probably 5 species since L. rufescens arrived in the US).
I'm guessing Opilione. Pholcidae hang upside down from their web, I don't think I have ever seen one up right, tho it might be vertical. I don't think a cellar spider would pick a location on the ground in a open hole like this tho, they like to get up high away from the ground whenever possible. Fiddlebacks lay flat to the ground, not with legs bent up like this, and legs even tho its a blur are noticeably thin. Every bit of it looks like a harvestman, which would make a lot of sense, because they can be hard to see with the eyes because of their super thin legs. *shrug* can only guess with a blur tho.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm guessing Opilione. . . . Every bit of it looks like a harvestman, which would make a lot of sense, because they can be hard to see with the eyes because of their super thin legs.
I can't see the "web" in this picture, but if the mystery arachnid is in its own web, we can rule out harvestmen; they don't have silk glands.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I can't see the "web" in this picture, but if the mystery arachnid is in its own web, we can rule out harvestmen; they don't have silk glands.
Yes, Ungoliant do you think I know the scientific name for harvestman but not their basic anatomy, common now :)

I was implying there is no web.

Continuing to debate this is simply fantasy at this point.

schnautzr

Arachnosquire
For whatever it's worth, the spider in #3 is definitely not hanging upside-down in a web. The perspective of the photo is particularly intriguing-- it's as though the spider is supported by the ground, but the root beneath it puzzles me. Anyway, it does look very much like a recluse...awaiting the better photo. :)

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For whatever it's worth, the spider in #3 is definitely not hanging upside-down in a web. The perspective of the photo is particularly intriguing)
confusing pics indeed-- the poster inverted the last picture where the spider appears to be laying among the roots when in fact it is hanging upside down in what i suspect is webbing not visible in the photo. as to which species: who knows? too blurry to tell. I am not questioning your knowledge of recluse spiders, I know Vanderburgh county well, it is a recluse haven. in my opinion, it would have to be a different type of spider considering that recluse do not reside in webs.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Yes, Ungoliant do you think I know the scientific name for harvestman but not their basic anatomy, common now :)

I was implying there is no web.
The best thing about using sarcasm on the Internet is that there are no distracting nonverbal cues.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
8ball, maybe what you should do, is go have another looksie in that hole. If the spider is still there, try and get better pics. This thing will be long dead of old age, and the thread will go on and on lol.

schnautzr

Arachnosquire
confusing pics indeed-- the poster inverted the last picture where the spider appears to be laying among the roots when in fact it is hanging upside down in what i suspect is webbing not visible in the photo. as to which species: who knows? too blurry to tell. I am not questioning your knowledge of recluse spiders, I know Vanderburgh county well, it is a recluse haven. in my opinion, it would have to be a different type of spider considering that recluse do not reside in webs.
You raise an interesting point...the orientation of the last pic is very different from that of the first...and the vegetation within appears to defy gravity if that photo is right-side-up. :p

I've seen brown recluses upside-down, but it's a very rare sight...and I can't think of why one would assume that position in its own lair.

Now I'm even more curious to know what's going on in this photo!

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
8ball, maybe what you should do, is go have another looksie in that hole. If the spider is still there, try and get better pics. This thing will be long dead of old age, and the thread will go on and on lol.
I would, but as I said when I posted this was just a hole I took some snapshots of, there's so many holes around where I live that I have to watch where I step when I go out at night lol. So sadly this is all up for speculation, I think each viewer should take it as they see it, I definitely believe it's a brown recluse but people can speculate as they want and I think it's all in fairness

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I totally understand. I havent a clue what it is. Could be recluse, harvestman, etc...
I would, but as I said when I posted this was just a hole I took some snapshots of, there's so many holes around where I live that I have to watch where I step when I go out at night lol. So sadly this is all up for speculation, I think each viewer should take it as they see it, I definitely believe it's a brown recluse but people can speculate as they want and I think it's all in fairness