Lair of a brown recluse

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Taken in west Texas, I was outside just enjoying the night and seeing what things were out. I passed by this hole and checked it out with a flashlight first off and it looked clear to me, still I took pictures just because I like caves and these are mini-caves, I didn't look at the pictures fully until later so when I noticed it for me it was somewhat of a spook photo like seeing a ghost pop into your picture.

Thought you all might enjoy seeing a brown recluse in a natural habitat, pictures are in order as I took them. gfhhdgf.JPG gdfgdgfhgfdh.JPG gfhfhfgh.JPG

Mal De Hyde

Arachnopeon
Thank you for posting the photos

Thank you for posting those photos. For a great many of us who live well outside its range, we would otherwise be unlikely to see such a thing as the lair. It is always good to see "real" photos like that, in that you can imagine yourself actually there.:biggrin:

Mal De Hyde

Arachnopeon
Lair of a Hogna carolinensis

Since we are on the subject of lairs, I had taken a few lair pictures in the recent past myself, and I thought I would post one of mine. For those who have never seen the burrow of a Hogna carolinensis, the picture I am posting is the burrow of an adult female taken in one of the warmer regions of Pennsylvania. These are typically dug into soft, damp clay soil in sparsely-vegetated ground. The holes are large enough that they can be spotted from about ten feet away.

Attachments

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No problem, and thanks also for your picture I had to google the species and it's a very nice one, it must look mean waiting just inside the entrance. I'll have to find one of the local species of wolf spider here soon to get a snapshot of

Mal De Hyde

Arachnopeon
You're welcome for the pic. You can insert a long, thin stalk of grass into a burrow like this to "check" it. At a certain point you'll feel something tug on the inserted end, kind of like fishing. This seems a fairly universal technique, as I've also used it over at the Atlantic coast where I have found many Geolycosa wolves. A guy I knew some years ago from Texas found a nifty (and large) Geolycosa specimen in his own backyard. Maybe you will see something similar.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Am I the only one that doesn't see a spider in any of these pictures?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Am I the only one that doesn't see a spider in any of these pictures?
I couldn't find the brown recluse either. (I think the wolf spider burrow is just supposed to show a burrow.)

Austin

Arachnosquire
in the last picture, focus on the middle of the pic then look slowly towards the upper left. It's a little blurred but there is a faded out spider.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
in the last picture, focus on the middle of the pic then look slowly towards the upper left. It's a little blurred but there is a faded out spider.
I guess here is where I am confused. I saw that blur of a spider in image#3 as well, but nothing that says "Hi there, I'm a brown recluse spider".

OP states "I passed by this hole and checked it out with a flashlight first off and it looked clear to me, still I took pictures just because I like caves and these are mini-caves, I didn't look at the pictures fully until later so when I noticed it for me it was somewhat of a spook photo like seeing a ghost pop into your picture. ". Meaning he did not ID the spider till he saw it in the image.

So how was this spider ID'd as a brown recluse?

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well if by small chance it was a different type of spider I would be shocked, living here my whole life though there's no other spider even similar to that color and body type other than a brown recluse. I took this on an Iphone, which I couldn't even get light for the picture until the camera flashed (was also using my Iphone as my flashlight) so it's not a great picture but it's definitely a recluse floating in the middle of the picture imo. I know how arachnoboards is all about technicalities though (I.E show me the hourglass) and technicalities have helped me identify things better as well so hopefully next time I'll be able to get a better picture, I was just excited to even get that unexpected snapshot since most of the ones I see are roaming on the ground or on walls so had to share it.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I seen that spider in the 3rd pic as well. But it was so blurry i wasnt sure if it was just roots that happened to appear as a recluse or not.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Well if by small chance it was a different type of spider I would be shocked, living here my whole life though there's no other spider even similar to that color and body type other than a brown recluse. I took this on an Iphone, which I couldn't even get light for the picture until the camera flashed (was also using my Iphone as my flashlight) so it's not a great picture but it's definitely a recluse floating in the middle of the picture imo. I know how arachnoboards is all about technicalities though (I.E show me the hourglass) and technicalities have helped me identify things better as well so hopefully next time I'll be able to get a better picture, I was just excited to even get that unexpected snapshot since most of the ones I see are roaming on the ground or on walls so had to share it.
There are literally hundreds of brown male spiders with long legs like that. That spider could be anything mate, sorry, but that is the truth.

EDIT TO ADD: Forgot to mention, your in Texas too, IIRC you have the 4th most diverse fauna in the country? Either way, it is a very big group of critters out that way.

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are literally hundreds of brown male spiders with long legs like that. That spider could be anything mate, sorry, but that is the truth.

EDIT TO ADD: Forgot to mention, your in Texas too, IIRC you have the 4th most diverse fauna in the country? Either way, it is a very big group of critters out that way.
Overall definitely it is diverse, if I drive a few miles out of town I'll probably find things I may have never seen before, in my part of town and I live close to the edge of town (it's not a big town but enough to keep a good amount of things out in the country) you mostly see the same things though. But take it as you want, may or may not have been just in my opinion of seeing them regularly and living here it's at least an 80+% chance it's a recluse, as you said though nothing is set in stone by this picture, individual viewers I hope appreciate the pics either way.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Overall definitely it is diverse, if I drive a few miles out of town I'll probably find things I may have never seen before, in my part of town and I live close to the edge of town (it's not a big town but enough to keep a good amount of things out in the country) you mostly see the same things though. But take it as you want, may or may not have been just in my opinion of seeing them regularly and living here it's at least an 80+% chance it's a recluse, as you said though nothing is set in stone by this picture, individual viewers I hope appreciate the pics either way.
I'd bet you see different spiders more often then you think, and you are dismissing them as the same spider. Trust me, in your small area there is a large fauna, and it is far more diverse then 80% of your spiders being the same spider. I don't imagine there is anywhere on earth where you run into the same spider 80% of the time.

Most laymans are shocked to find out just what diversity is on their property, and like yourself, most think they only run into the same few spiders over and over. Once you start collecting and IDing you start to see what I am talking about. I understand your feelings tho, before I start studying hard I thought all I had was common house spiders and giant house spiders. Years later I still find new species I have yet to ID on the outside of my house. Just found my first Callobius pictus on the side of home, usually only see them in the forest. Pretty exciting for me!

schnautzr

Arachnosquire
It would be awesome if you wouldn't mind taking the time to upload a photo at Wikipedia, where readers outside their natural "outdoor" range currently have no idea what a wild brown recluse home looks like. I've yet to see one in person outside the comfort of a brick structure.

Last edited:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
It would be awesome if you wouldn't mind taking the time to upload a photo at Wikipedia, where readers outside their natural "outdoor" range currently have no idea what a wild brown recluse home looks like. I've yet to see one in person outside the comfort of a brick structure.
This would be removed as you cannot confirm an ID from a blurry image. No mater how bad you want that spider to be a brown recluse in some new found brown recluse hole. It's just as possible that blur of a spider looking thing is a Opilione (daddy long leg, harvestman, etc.)

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good idea, I haven't seen many pics of them other than in enclosures as well. I'll have to find one and get a better picture though hopefully with that mean looking face of theirs and the hourglass in full display lol.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Good idea, I haven't seen many pics of them other than in enclosures as well. I'll have to find one and get a better picture though hopefully with that mean looking face of theirs and the hourglass in full display lol.

You find a lot of brown recluse? All over, 80% right? Can you do the thread a favor and take a good picture of one of the brown recluse you find in and around your home. Not the one in this hole, but one of the others you see so often, one of the none reclusive ones with an hour glass.

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You find a lot of brown recluse? All over, 80% right? Can you do the thread a favor and take a good picture of one of the brown recluse you find in and around your home. Not the one in this hole, but one of the others you see so often, one of the none reclusive ones with an hour glass.
yeah definitely, since I see so many I found it more cool to see one claiming territory in a burrow, but I'm sure if not tonight then one of these nights I'll find one on the wall near a spotlight. Ground roaming ones you have to look for a bit more since they blend in with the ground but I'll be taking snapshots as they come