L. Parahybana Housing

Darth Nader

Arachnopeon
Okay, so the plan is for me to finally get a Brazilian Birdeater and I was just wondering how big the terrarium for this creature has to be. I have a 20-gallon tank thats a little over 30 inches long and about 12 inches wide (those maybe backwards but I hope you can get the point, lol). The height is pretty good on it also (a little over 12 inches tall) so I'm hoping everything will work out there. Let's say, worst case scenario, my Birdeater ends up being 10 inches, will that cage still be big enough?

white_feather

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That enclosure is more than adequate. I think you could get away with a 10 gallon but the 20 is nice.

Darth Nader

Arachnopeon
I thought an arachnid with the size and stature of the L. Parahybana deserved a large tank...lol

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That enclosure is more than adequate. I think you could get away with a 10 gallon but the 20 is nice.
a 10 gallon is by no means sufficient for a happy parahybana...it CAN be done but i would never personally recommend it.

I thought an arachnid with the size and stature of the L. Parahybana deserved a large tank...lol
agreed, they grow like weeds and get huge fast, and they will reach 10" if its a female no problem. your "20 long" enclosure as it would be called is appropriate but a 30 long or even a standard 40g tank would be AWESOME!

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got a young L. difficilus in a 10 gallon tank - makes a very nice display and the animal is doing very well in it. But as the spider reaches adulthood I'll want to move it to a larger tank - probably about the size you are talking about. It's true that the spider "doesn't need it" - but I agree with you about the size and stature "deserving" it. A well set up cage can be attractive, and enhances the impression the spider makes.

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got mine in a 30 gallon tall, but its turned on its side so its got tons of floor space and not a lot of height. They are a pretty active species, she's in a different spot every time I come home. Big cages are just easier to make look nice too. She's currently about 7 inches, but I kept a male LP in that enclosure from the time it was about 3 inches until it grew to about 6 and I found out it was a male and he did fine too.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
don't limit yourself to glass aquariums either. They don't need to much height as they don't climb often. For my bigger T's (para's and blondi) I have switched to using Sterilite and the like. I can bigger enclosures that are cheaper and LIGHTER for a quarter of the price.
Believe me weight may not be a factor now but when you have ten of them on a rack, or stacked on each other (or the empties store inside each other) it makes a big difference.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I house my nearly 7" genic in a 5.5 gallon. 10 gallon is good for 7"-8". Larger than 8" needs a 20 gallon. 30-40 is just for space wasting/display purpose.