KIS brand containers-- Have you seen in person?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No, never even seen the brand. They look like they'd be pretty good, though. I doubt that they're crystal clear, though. Even the picture looks opaque. I'd also worry about the locking, but apparently it's not terrible.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, never even seen the brand. They look like they'd be pretty good, though. I doubt that they're crystal clear, though. Even the picture looks opaque. I'd also worry about the locking, but apparently it's not terrible.
Yeah I agree on both, esp the locking. Our Blue Handled Boxes are still the best on lid removal for the price point.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
To be honest, i have one, and they are really, really clear. It's an Italian brand if i'm not wrong. I bought one a week ago IMO perfect for house the "classic" NW Theraphosidae (G.rosea, G.pulchripes, genus Acanthoscurria... name one).

I'm tempted to buy the "XL" for a previous OB but first i had to try (and i will upload pics) that one.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To be honest, i have one, and they are really, really clear. It's an Italian brand if i'm not wrong. I bought one a week ago IMO perfect for house the "classic" NW Theraphosidae (G.rosea, G.pulchripes, genus Acanthoscurria... name one).

I'm tempted to buy the "XL" for a previous OB but first i had to try (and i will upload pics) that one.
Really you own one? Clear as acrylic? How loose fitting is the lid?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thread watched. I'm looking forward to Chris' answer!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Really you own one? Clear as acrylic? How loose fitting is the lid?
Yes. Days ago i was at the local shopping center and i saw those (not the entire line of course). One got my attention because, size talking, IMO was/is perfect for house the classic NW terrestrial T's (i hate to house, don't know, adults "Chaco" or other bulky NW T's in a too much height enclosure).

They are clean, now i can't say if those are better, equal, or worst than acrylic because i don't have an acrylic enclosure at hand for compare (was one of my goal for arboreals, you know, then i changed my mind back to the glass, and more cheaper, arboreal cages we have here in Europe).

The lid is a no noise one, and seems good. If Saturday my Bro will pay me a visit we will take some pics of that, for give you the idea, promise -- unlike him, i don't have a "enter a number X" good quality pics Smartphone :p

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yes, please do upload pictures! I'm personally mainly interested in the clarity and the locking mechanism. Is it just a snap-on?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If Saturday my Bro will pay me a visit we will take some pics of that, for give you the idea,
If you have the ability to take good pics, would you put something inside the container as well to give us an idea of how clear they are please? None of my stores, including KMart carry them by me, I'd have to risk ordering via the internet.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If you have the ability to take good pics, would you put something inside the container as well to give us an idea of how clear they are please? None of my stores, including KMart carry them by me, I'd have to risk ordering via the internet.
Of course :) oh, btw, i forgot also to say that i don't know if they are clear like sterlite because i don't have those containers.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just a little observation. It seems that plastics manufacturers have a bizarre compulsion to completely reinvent how a lid latches or locks on their containers about once every 34 minutes. And always get it wrong.
Yesterday I was doing battle with a container I thought would be mite proof. It would be a perfect container for an animal like a T that you never intended to feed or water again. In frustration I ended up grabbing a box cutter and cutting a hole in the lid. Life is too short to fight with a lid that re-closes and locks one corner as you try to release the next one.
I dread to think what geometric shapes these people would come up with if they were designing tires.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
On reflection I did come up with the perfect container for your average Phoneutria in a house full of curious kids. Using two wood clamps to hold the lid on it required 5 hands to remove it.
Back to KIS

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh, sorry people. Bro didn't payed me a visit today. We have to wait Wednesday i guess (his free day) but better than forever, since i wouldn't buy a class A smartphone or a HD camera :p

Pro is: Tuesday i wil get two KIS XL box to use for badass Asian centipedes so i will upload pics even of that one.

Sorry ;-)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have most of my tarantulas in them - we get them dirt cheap in the dollar stores in Canada. A 6qt will cost you $2cdn and the 13qt will cost you $3. They are very clear and dead easy to drill holes in. I have no problems with the lids opening and closing. The lids are secure when locked.
Give me a minute and I will upload some photos.
Pretty Daphne, the C. cyaneopubescens, from the side.
_DSC2620-2.jpg

From the top. Hello pretty girlie!
_DSC2621-2.jpg

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@VanessaS Vanessa may i ask you to post a pic of the top only, if you want/can, of course? I'm curious because of those (i see those in picture 2) sort of round circles... i have noticed that i don't have those on mine.