king baboon help

beardslykrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I puchased a 7 leg female king baboon a few months ago. She is about six inches. I have already had to rehouse her once. She is very stressed out, and has lost abdomenal hair. Also she has not eaten since I got her. To make matters worse there is mold growing about 3 inches into the coco fiber substrate. Should I stress her out even more to change her substrate, or should I just leave it alone. How can I prevent mold in the future. I have heard of other tarantula keepers using isopods, but can these take care of the mold that is burried deep in the substrate.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I puchased a 7 leg female king baboon a few months ago. She is about six inches. I have already had to rehouse her once. She is very stressed out, and has lost abdomenal hair. Also she has not eaten since I got her. To make matters worse there is mold growing about 3 inches into the coco fiber substrate. Should I stress her out even more to change her substrate, or should I just leave it alone. How can I prevent mold in the future. I have heard of other tarantula keepers using isopods, but can these take care of the mold that is burried deep in the substrate.
If you have mold in your tank, your enclosure is to moist, let it dry out K.B like it dry anyway.....rob

Nam

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would change that substrate straight away leave it dry like Rob said:)

beardslykrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was under the impresion that kings need high humidity, and will drying it out kill the mold

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was under the impresion that kings need high humidity, and will drying it out kill the mold
If the mold is only in one spot you could just remove it but drying out the enclosure will kill the mold and prevent more mold from growing. A King Baboon will burrow to adjust it's humidity if need be...for now keep it dry with plenty of venilation.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agreed about keeping it dry but do isopods eat mold? I though I heard someone say they do but I'm not so sure about it.
TBH

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is still a sling, but I keep it really dry, and it's done well so far. IMO, for most species, a water dish will suffice for humidity requirements.