Kinda worried about my emperor scorpion

amcfadden93

Arachnopeon
HI, I am very new to this, so bare with me. I just bought a baby emperor scorpion. When I got him, I put him in a 20 gallon tank with eco earth for the substrate and a simple bark hide for him to hide in and a water dish of course. The first few days he would be gone all day and then around 8pm he would come out and be active, walking around the enclosure and eating the crickets I fed him. Then my friend got a snake and he bought a 10 gallon for me so we can switch tanks. 10 gallons is more then enough for my baby scorp so I said yes. Cleaned out both tanks and remade his enclose. But this time I used sand because I liked the look of it more and I was told that could use sand for his substrate. He acted pissed when I moved him (kinda feel bad about it now) but now he buried himself in the corner and hasn't come out in like 2 days. I have a heating pad on the side with his hide and that's where he is buried. I dropped a cricket in there and woke up and it was gone so I assumed he ate it. But I don't know if I should get him out from his burrow or just leave him be. I need to feed him but he hasn't come out so I can. Is he pissed that I moved him and changed his enclosure? Any info would help, there's not much online.

Thank you in advance!

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
YES, He's pissed !! :cool:
You should not keep this species on sand, they need a high humidity etc. please read here:
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/basic-emperor-scorpion-p-imperator-care.11336/
You don't need to feed your scorpion, leave him alone if he keeps hiding. Even if it's for several weeks.
What you need to do is get him at least 5 inches of suitable substrate and a thermometer and hygrometer right away.
Keep enclosure temperature 25°C+ during daytime and relative humidity at 60% to 85%. At night the heating can be turned off.
If the pet store doesn't have any substrate you can even temporarily use the soil from the plants in your home.
Once you have the enclosure fixed up and your scorpion is relaxed, then he will become a pet hole, only coming out at night but not every night.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
It would do much better on similar substrate to what you had originally as sand is not a good substrate for Emperors.
It sounds like it's throwing a hissy fit and sulking in the corner
But in reality its probably not happy with its new enclosure and needs a more suitable substrate.