Keeping millipedes off of the lid

Tyler S

Arachnopeon
The tank I have my pedes in has silicone in the corners, so they're always climbing and getting onto the lid. What's the best way to keep that from happening? I just worry because they're in a vivarium type setup and I don't want them to fall on a stone or damage their legs.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Maybe put Vaseline or a mixture of baby powder and rubbing alcohol on the silicone edges. They make a surface too slippery for arthropods to grip.

Mrk Socias

Arachnopeon
or maybe put some packaging tape on the corner, so that they cant climb on , sometimes vaseline doent effect they can climb specially when the vaseline starts to dry out.

Dapink02

Arachnopeon
The baby powder and rubbing alcohol will definitely get the job done, but when it dries it leaves this white stripe that might not look that great in a terrarium setup. It also depends on how tall the terrarium walls are and what species are inside. Could you post some pictures of the enclosure?

Tyler S

Arachnopeon
The baby powder and rubbing alcohol will definitely get the job done, but when it dries it leaves this white stripe that might not look that great in a terrarium setup. It also depends on how tall the terrarium walls are and what species are inside. Could you post some pictures of the enclosure?
My computer is being a pain, and wont let me post the pictures. I think the baby powder rubbing alcohol thing should be fine though, im not that worried about how it looks. I have a Floriday Ivory, three cherry foots, and a few other local species in there.

Dapink02

Arachnopeon
My computer is being a pain, and wont let me post the pictures. I think the baby powder rubbing alcohol thing should be fine though, im not that worried about how it looks. I have a Floriday Ivory, three cherry foots, and a few other local species in there.
The Florida Ivories I would keep an eye on if they risk falling, but the baby powder and rubbing alcohol mix works very well. I've used it for ants before and it works like magic.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Cherry foot = N. americanus, correct?

Tyler S

Arachnopeon
The Florida Ivories I would keep an eye on if they risk falling, but the baby powder and rubbing alcohol mix works very well. I've used it for ants before and it works like magic.
How often do you have to re-apply it?

Dapink02

Arachnopeon
How often do you have to re-apply it?
It depends on how many times the barrier is touched by the animals. Every time they touch it a small piece of the barrier comes off so repeated contact will cause the barrier to disappear. Just eyeball it and if there is a spot that looks kinda thin just add another stripe of the solution.

CompostWitch

Arachnopeon
My ivories LOVE to climb... tbh I would just remove the rocks and not worry about them climbing and falling. A fall of six inches or less, onto leaves and substrate, won't hurt them.

Even if you choose to go the vaseline route, it might be fun to provide some sort of branch or vine they can explore, that doesn't go as high up as the lid :)

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
My ivories LOVE to climb... tbh I would just remove the rocks and not worry about them climbing and falling. A fall of six inches or less, onto leaves and substrate, won't hurt them.

Even if you choose to go the vaseline route, it might be fun to provide some sort of branch or vine they can explore, that doesn't go as high up as the lid :)
Another good choice is an old piece of a log. They'll nibble at it too, and it's quite nutritious. Bugs in Cyberspace sells pre-cut ones of a good size.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron

Another good choice is an old piece of a log. They'll nibble at it too, and it's quite nutritious. Bugs in Cyberspace sells pre-cut ones of a good size.
Mine seem to love cholla wood, but I don't know if this is nutritious or not.