Keeping a crocodile

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also feel the same way about the big snakes (anaconda, burms, retics, ect.). Big dangerous animals should not be kept as pets, although there is a lot of people who keep these and do it right, it seems most of them are eventually left homeless or discarded. In my opinion, crocs should not be kept as pets.

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with Chilobrachys completely. Neither crocs nor the big snakes should be kept as pets.

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have to agree with this.

It's a lot more than just digging a hole and fencing it in for a crocodile (especially with how large one can become). They are extremely territorial and WILL want to kill you when you enter their space- which you will have to do, and if you plan on doing it alone you're asking for trouble. You not only need to worry about keeping it IN, but keeping others OUT. Also, the food bill, enclosure maintenance, enrichment (they aren't dumb animals that are happy just sitting with nothing to do for 20 years), heath.... all big hits to your finances and your free time.

I know it sounds like a great idea on paper, and the thought of owning such a powerful animal is appealing and quite thrilling, but in the end it's just a bad idea.
yea i know about all that
im not some dumb dude who juss decides to buy a croc then be all unsuspecting when it gets huge and have to let it go in the wild lol. but like i said it wont be for a few years, i know how smart they are

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What happens when you get married, have kids, get divorced, get offered a job out of state, die, lose your job, get seriously injured, go on a long vacation... I think you get my point. I don't know you nor do I need to know you to be able to say that you have no place owning a nile crocodile privately. You are planning on buying the worlds second largest crocodile, an animal that will outlive you, that will cost as much for you to keep as raising a child with disabilities and which within a decade will be capable of killing you, neighbors, neighborhood pets, etc. Wanting a crocodile is fine, I'm sure every herp enthusiast has thought it would be cool. Getting one is another. If you are dead set on having a crocodilian get a cuviers dwarf or a smooth front. Even then I don't recommend it. Keeping crocodilians as pets is folly.
i'm gettin a vesectomy, kids wont be a factor, or i wouldnt even think of getting one. and hey if a girl wants to be with me she'll just have to respect the fact im a croc keeper. But when i say pet i dont mean im about to go around acting like steve irwin and go around toyin with it. Crocs deserve and need the ultimate respect and you just have to be EXTREMELY aware of where it is at all times. Wont be for a few years though after I get a job and see how things end up before ill actually start building and getting ready to keep a croc. I didnt come here expecting people not to tell me i shouldnt get one, i been here 3 years so I know how yall are. But i've gotten alot of help and ill thank all of yall

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
3 years interest in such a dangerous exotic animal in no way makes you ready to own one. If you are dead set on it at a minimum you should study, get a job in a zoo caring for different crocodilians, spend 15-20 years at that job and then if you can afford it and still want it go for it. They don't stay small, they aren't friendly (don't believe anyone who says they can become tame) and they aren't cheap to feed either.
Oh i didnt say i was ready for one, didnt say im ordering one today. But man if i were to do that i wouldnt have the money to care for it anyway, but yea ill study my ass off for it. No way im getting one until i feel 100% ready. Lol im in no way foolish enough to think i could tame a croc though, thats a deathwish

Memento

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have decided you're going to keep a Nile crocodile, nothing anyone says is likely to change your mind right now. I vaguely remember what it was like to be 18 ;)

However, having had personal experience with a few crocodilians, I suggest you seriously consider the following as you grow older:

1. Local, state and federal law. Also, the arrangements of any permits you may require, as Nile crocodiles are listed in both appendices of CITES.

2. Staff. At minimum, you will require at least one (preferably more) full-time, experienced private staff member to assist in the maintenance of a Nile crocodile. Under no circumstances should your property ever not have someone present if one of these animals is living on it.

3. Finding a veterinarian skilled in treating crocs could be quite difficult, and involve many hidden costs that you may not be prepared for (complex house calls, buying a specially equipped vehicle to transport your croc for medical care, etc.).

4. Security and emergency response preparedness will both be absolute requirements. You will need at least one additional secure enclosure for moving and maintaining the animal. You will also need an emergency response system in place should an accident occur, such as an alarm, personal panic buttons, and other measures to call for immediate urgent assistance. With crocodilians, never assume you will be able to make it to a phone to call for help if something goes wrong.

5. Life insurance policies may be voided by you keeping a Nile crocodile, and health insurance may exclude injuries you receive in the course of keeping your animal. Ensure you are covered, and even then, expect to pay a very high premium.

6. You will need a good lawyer. If your animal escapes and causes damage, or causes distress, injury or death to someone else (even on your own property), you could be liable and subject to prosecution.

7. Ensure that you have reliable sources for home and property maintenance, apart from the crocodile. Professionals from many trades usually have the right to refuse service to properties if they perceive there to be a risk of personal harm (or their insurance may prevent them doing so if such a risk exists). Many may consider the presence of a dangerous animal on the property to qualify as such a risk.

These are all things that must be set-up BEFORE you even begin looking to purchase your animal, and are in addition to the thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars you can expect to pay each year for routine maintenance and care.

I understand that you've been interested in these animals for a few years, but please understand that three years of interest is not enough time. Even if you wait a few more years until college is done, your career is secure and you own a property, it still isn't enough time.

Interest in an animal is not a substitute for experience. Keeping a Nile crocodile without first gaining experience is like competing in the Grand Prix without a driver's license. Chances are very high that you will be badly hurt, or possibly killed. Take it from one who knows - even though I have experience with crocodilians, I have a disfiguring scar over the back of my hand and lower arm as a reminder that I can still make mistakes. It was given to me by a small American alligator, and the injury required surgery to repair. Had it been an adult Nile croc, I have no doubt that my whole arm would have been torn from my body.

If you're absolutely dead-set on keeping a large crocodilian (which it seems that you are, at least for now), do yourself a favour and start with a spectacled or dwarf caiman to build up your experience. If after a few years you find you can manage them as adults, move up to something a little bigger, and so on until you reach your goal. Make the Nile croc the last stop on your journey of croc-keeping, not your first.

EDIT: My post should not be taken as an endorsement for the keeping of ANY crocodilian in a private collection. Personally, I consider even "small" caimans to be beyond the capabilities of most private keepers. All crocodilians that entered my care were rescues, and were only with me as an interim measure until they could be relocated to proper, professional facilities.

Last edited:

El Viejo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
8ball, I do have one question for you. It may not be related to the topic at hand, but then again, it may be. In your original post you said that you are 18. Why is is that in your profile you say you are 22? Just wondering.

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aren't alligators a bit friendlier on the "I will eat you the moment you move wrong." scale?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Aren't alligators a bit friendlier on the "I will eat you the moment you move wrong." scale?
Not really. As I recall they *tend* to walk or swim away from humans...but if they're feeling territorial, angry, have lost their fear of people due to being fed (gators become a huge danger to humans this way), or are in an enclosed area and cannot flee - well let's just say they should be taken as seriously as any other massive carnivore. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Alligator#Alligators_and_humans

"Alligators are capable of killing humans, but are generally wary enough not to see them as a potential prey...The alligator's tail is a fearsome weapon capable of knocking a person down and breaking bones."

Memento

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In terms of captivity, as a group many tend to be more laid-back, but this is a generalization. Even normally calm individuals can get startled, moody, or just plain have a bad day. Some individuals never mellow out. They all have their own personalities.

Plus, young ones tend to be unpredictable, and still pack a punch. Even small alligators (under 2 feet long) are quite capable of tearing off fingers if they grab one and go into a roll.

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I'm looking at the scale of "I will try to eat you even if you raised me from the egg" to the other end of "I might not eat you until I am big enough to swallow your chunks when I rip you apart".

There are a few articles I have read about pet alligators that have been handled often enough to not try and kill their owners, and one that was taken away by authorities while the owner was upset, because they ended up hurting it. He called it the family pet and I believe it had a collar and a leash. I know you could never, ever, do that to a Crocodile. As I understand it Alligators are further off the evolutionary chart from Crocs, and as such have a different mode of operation and level of archosaurian intellect. I read this a while ago and found it interesting.

I know there are arguments about reptiles being dimmer than a wet match and only following instinct, and I agree that instinct plays a majority role in almost any reptile or other form of life. However when it comes to the crocodiles and their relatives, it's a tad bit different than a lizard, as crocs and alligators are more closely related to birds than they are geckos. Birds are, after all, pretty darn smart when compared to other critters, and can be trained.

I figure, if you get the right individual at the right time, you could have a docile alligator (in so much as if you keep it well fed, it won't see you and go OMNOMNOM!). But anyways, these are my ramblings I figure, just got into one of those 'deep thoughts' modes, classic SNL style.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Ive been wanting to keep a crocodile for a long time, nows still not the time. But after college and after i get stable enough to buy some land i'm planning on getting a nile croc. I've been learning about crocodilians since i was 15, im 18 now. But I was just wondering if it would be better to keep it natural in the winter, and just let the croc hang out in a hole like they naturally do in the winter. Or if it would be better to just have a light. Cause here in texas the winters aren't harsh at all. By the way also I'm in west texas, but i'm getting a degree in underwater welding so i'll probably be going to east texas, just incase humidity will be a factor.
Try spending some time around these creatures...learning about them via the internet, zoos, and books is one thing but actually being around them is another ;) Since I've drank a few beers tonight I'm not going to sugar coat anything...I think this is an amazingly stupid idea. :rolleyes: Also pay close attention to Memento's post...great points. :clap: In your time on-shore away from your offshore diving you should also see if you can find an alligator farm close by and volunteer your time there. These animals are NO joke and WILL hand you your ass in a heartbeat given the chance...including the caiman.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
8ball, I do have one question for you. It may not be related to the topic at hand, but then again, it may be. In your original post you said that you are 18. Why is is that in your profile you say you are 22? Just wondering.
Hmm, yeah it would interesting to see what's going on there first. This thread reminds me of that guy that kept a very unusually tame alligator in his basement. He would let his kid that was barely old enough to walk ride on it's back in the backyard. If I remember, that thing was around 8 feet long. He would take it to schools for students to look at. He'd push it up the stairs in the basement and manage to get it in a van(I think it was) and drive it to places un-muzzled and the kids would walk up to it and touch it. I think the guy had it since it was a baby(?) I looked on Youtube to see if it was there, sure seems like that clip would be there somewhere because it looked crazy man!

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, yeah it would interesting to see what's going on there first. This thread reminds me of that guy that kept a very unusually tame alligator in his basement. He would let his kid that was barely old enough to walk ride on it's back in the backyard. If I remember, that thing was around 8 feet long. He would take it to schools for students to look at. He'd push it up the stairs in the basement and manage to get it in a van(I think it was) and drive it to places un-muzzled and the kids would walk up to it and touch it. I think the guy had it since it was a baby(?) I looked on Youtube to see if it was there, sure seems like that clip would be there somewhere because it looked crazy man!
That's child endangerment NQA.

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jim necsi drugs his alligator. I have seen it in person numerous times. Without going in to too much scientific detail (because I am too lazy to argue it) it is obvious to anyone that has been around a sedated reptile.

I do agree that they can be quite tame though. I have seen others that are almost as tame. These belong to ADULTS with LOTS OF LAND or a LARGE HOUSE. Not some teen to early 20 something with no career and living with the parents.

I wish people would respect dangerous animals.

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have an Alligator Snapper but this is as far as I will ever go. These things rarely get over 200 pounds but a Nile Croc gets well over that and was listed as one of the most dangerous animals in Africa. Crocodilians are not meant to be kept as pets by anyone other than Zoos and licensed facilities. They can exceed 18 feet and will not hesitate to attack anyone who gets within reach. Further, if an attack were to occur, it will devastate the hobby. If you still insist on getting a Crocodilian, get a Dwarf Caiman. They rarely exceed 6 feet. I know this may sound harsh, but it's a real stupid idea to keep one of these. Same for Anacondas and other large constrictors and big cats.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I have an Alligator Snapper but this is as far as I will ever go. These things rarely get over 200 pounds.
I can't wait for ours to get to even 50-75 pounds...I plan on buying a house, digging a moat with a drawbridge around it, and letting him wander the moat during the summer with a sign that says, "Beware of turtle" :D

If you still insist on getting a Crocodilian, get a Dwarf Caiman. They rarely exceed 6 feet.
I wonder if the OP has ever been close to a crocodile or alligator in the wild. I have been less than ten feet away from a 5-6' alligator in Louisiana on more than one occasion (some were a little bigger) and they don't appear to be anything I'd want to have after me...even at that small size.

Here's one I took a few days before moving, it's about 6'...no zoom :)

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Jim necsi drugs his alligator. I have seen it in person numerous times. Without going in to too much scientific detail (because I am too lazy to argue it) it is obvious to anyone that has been around a sedated reptile.
Do you have any proof of this? I've seen his gator(s) in person numerous times over the years, and I'm not sure I would feel comfortable making that statement. He has credibility with numerous people I doubt would endorse him if routine sedation was "obvious", but I'm out of my realm of knowledge here...

Anyway, all points about working with them FIRST are well-spoken. Find a VERY experienced keeper who has one and who is willing to let you help them FIRST, or a gator ranch, zoo, something... these are NOT animals that should be kept privately in almost all cases. Memento's post was spectacular advice for anyone considering a crocodilian... or large boid... or venomous snakes... or, etc etc.

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you have decided you're going to keep a Nile crocodile, nothing anyone says is likely to change your mind right now. I vaguely remember what it was like to be 18 ;)

However, having had personal experience with a few crocodilians, I suggest you seriously consider the following as you grow older:

1. Local, state and federal law. Also, the arrangements of any permits you may require, as Nile crocodiles are listed in both appendices of CITES.

2. Staff. At minimum, you will require at least one (preferably more) full-time, experienced private staff member to assist in the maintenance of a Nile crocodile. Under no circumstances should your property ever not have someone present if one of these animals is living on it.

3. Finding a veterinarian skilled in treating crocs could be quite difficult, and involve many hidden costs that you may not be prepared for (complex house calls, buying a specially equipped vehicle to transport your croc for medical care, etc.).

4. Security and emergency response preparedness will both be absolute requirements. You will need at least one additional secure enclosure for moving and maintaining the animal. You will also need an emergency response system in place should an accident occur, such as an alarm, personal panic buttons, and other measures to call for immediate urgent assistance. With crocodilians, never assume you will be able to make it to a phone to call for help if something goes wrong.

5. Life insurance policies may be voided by you keeping a Nile crocodile, and health insurance may exclude injuries you receive in the course of keeping your animal. Ensure you are covered, and even then, expect to pay a very high premium.

6. You will need a good lawyer. If your animal escapes and causes damage, or causes distress, injury or death to someone else (even on your own property), you could be liable and subject to prosecution.

7. Ensure that you have reliable sources for home and property maintenance, apart from the crocodile. Professionals from many trades usually have the right to refuse service to properties if they perceive there to be a risk of personal harm (or their insurance may prevent them doing so if such a risk exists). Many may consider the presence of a dangerous animal on the property to qualify as such a risk.

These are all things that must be set-up BEFORE you even begin looking to purchase your animal, and are in addition to the thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars you can expect to pay each year for routine maintenance and care.

I understand that you've been interested in these animals for a few years, but please understand that three years of interest is not enough time. Even if you wait a few more years until college is done, your career is secure and you own a property, it still isn't enough time.

Interest in an animal is not a substitute for experience. Keeping a Nile crocodile without first gaining experience is like competing in the Grand Prix without a driver's license. Chances are very high that you will be badly hurt, or possibly killed. Take it from one who knows - even though I have experience with crocodilians, I have a disfiguring scar over the back of my hand and lower arm as a reminder that I can still make mistakes. It was given to me by a small American alligator, and the injury required surgery to repair. Had it been an adult Nile croc, I have no doubt that my whole arm would have been torn from my body.

If you're absolutely dead-set on keeping a large crocodilian (which it seems that you are, at least for now), do yourself a favour and start with a spectacled or dwarf caiman to build up your experience. If after a few years you find you can manage them as adults, move up to something a little bigger, and so on until you reach your goal. Make the Nile croc the last stop on your journey of croc-keeping, not your first.

EDIT: My post should not be taken as an endorsement for the keeping of ANY crocodilian in a private collection. Personally, I consider even "small" caimans to be beyond the capabilities of most private keepers. All crocodilians that entered my care were rescues, and were only with me as an interim measure until they could be relocated to proper, professional facilities.
ive thought about all those factors, who knows a few years from now i might not be in the right position and might end up being 20 years before i finally get it. But for now in texas its legal to keep and species of crocodilians except alligators you have to get a license for.