Keep separate or Reunite

Semisteve

Arachnopeon
Hi all
New to the forum but need a bit of advice as Sophie my sons AFS is not really following typical behaviour.
Sold to us in April as a three year old female emperor (she's one of the Heterometrus, pedipalps all wrong for emperor)
LOVES to burrow and recently had scorplings.
Now we didn't see the ride on here back stage at all. She got fat (beware the pregnant scorpion) , and stayed hidden underground for about a week. Then 3 mini molt 'skins' appeared in the soil heap as she made her burrow larger.
Anyway she been very maternal, catching food (locust), breaking them up and distribute it too the scorplings. She shepherds them back into the burrow, and 'happily' let's them climb on/under/around her.
More recently she's hunted then deposited the food inside the burrow but then moved outside to leave them to it, and a larger set of skins has been cleared out with additional digging.
Most of what I've read says remove the young after their 1st or 2nd molt so this is what I did yesterday expecting the three scorplings I'd seen a few times.
With all the silly hot weather London been having I also re did Sophie's tank as the substrate was showing signs of plant and fungi life starting to grow.
Anyway long story short, 26 scorplings were found all post 2nd some near 3rd mold!
They were in communial groups of 4-6 in a series of 'rooms' throughout the burrow.
I remade the burrow/enclosure with fresh substrate but haven't added the scorplings back into the vivarium with Sophie.
The kids are currently in three's either huddled together or hunting baby cricket (with 100% failure)
Sophie I've not seen at all, and she's usually quite active at dusk.

So my question is do I return the kids to mum?
If they can't catch food for themselves yet, will they starve working it out? Or let Sophie feed them as one big happy family?
Only one had left the burrow (was under some cork bark) when I removed them all.

My worry is the bond is gone and Sophie will see them as pray now... The scorplings are about the size of a 5th hopper now. But she usually eats adult or X large ones.

Will post up some pictures tomorrow if they will help.

ianhunt

Arachnopeon
When my AFS babies got off its mothers back i separate them immediately after mommy scorpion ate 1 scorpling. i offered the scorplings pre-killed crickets first and after a while i started feeding them with live crickets but i cut off some legs so it would be easier to catch.

Semisteve

Arachnopeon
That's what I read, but her behaviour is completely different.
A scorplings molted over night but refused to sit still or even be above the paper hahaha.
So the image is off a younger one

Attachments

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
yeah i'd remove them and keep all of them separated in any spare tupperware containers or deli cups or other small enclosures

Semisteve

Arachnopeon
About a third of the babies successful caught and ate last night, spent the morning 'knocking' off cricket back legs...
Not an easy task, but after doing 20 I'm now quite good at it.
No idea how others do it but I drop them one at a time in a pint glass, then used the flat end of a pencil to rapidly 'stamp' off a back leg (or trap a foot, then snip of the leg with scissors)
Had to many escapees before swapping to using the tall sided glass.
Sophie was out and about last night, still not eating (but she never was a glutton) was quite worried about her I must say.
The brown crickets chirping is driving me nuts, looking forward to just having locust in the house again.