Juvi theraphosa blondi

Natoshia

Arachnopeon
This is Moose!
Roughly 4-4.5in long, body wise... sold as a juvie, but unsure of age. I've had it about 6 months? Molted once in that time.
My question is... how much food is too much? She's always at the edge of her hide, ready to eat! She gets crickets (usually 4-5 at a time) and earthworms... almost every day lately and she gobbles them up!
My other Ts don't eat nearly as often (but of course, they aren't T. Blondis either) so I just didn't know if it was normal for a T this size?

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This is Moose!
Roughly 4-4.5in long, body wise... sold as a juvie, but unsure of age. I've had it about 6 months? Molted once in that time.
My question is... how much food is too much? She's always at the edge of her hide, ready to eat! She gets crickets (usually 4-5 at a time) and earthworms... almost every day lately and she gobbles them up!
My other Ts don't eat nearly as often (but of course, they aren't T. Blondis either) so I just didn't know if it was normal for a T this size?
They generally stop eating when full enough for another molt , but what’s the legspan yours sounds close to adult size ?

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
what’s the legspan yours sounds close to adult size
4-4.5" would still be juvie for theraphosa....heck for the blondi and stirmi 6" can be juvie and not sub adult lol.

She gets crickets (usually 4-5 at a time) and earthworms... almost every day lately and she gobbles them up!
A spider that size (theraphosa or not) would do well enough on what your feeding it every 10 days or so. Spiders only need to eat until they have enough to make their next molt. Whether or not that is a month or 2 after last molt, or a year from last molt...all that is happening here is prolonging the premolt period. Theraphosa have an enormous prey drive. If the abdomen is looking huge i'd back off a bit.

Last edited:

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
4 - 4 1/2 inch Body ... or Leg Span ?

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
They generally stop eating when full enough for another molt , but what’s the legspan yours sounds close to adult size ?
Spiders will only eat until they have enough to make their next molt.
No they won't. Tarantulas and other spiders will eat far more than what they need to molt, especially the giants from the tropics. A Theraphosa species will keep on eating up until its abdomen is so large it starts dragging on the ground.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No they won't. Tarantulas and other spiders will eat far more than what they need to molt, especially the giants from the tropics. A Theraphosa species will keep on eating up until its abdomen is so large it starts dragging on the ground.
Yeah you’re correct after me checking pics of my Ts . All except one adult is plump.
Theraphosa has biggest appetite of any. It seems most people have accidentally overfed them. Some not so much…with controversial feeding like mice . But there’s no way to stop people on YouTube.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Could we see the the whole enclosure? Your T looks good but it doesn't look like you have enough substrate. It could be an illusion of course, like just camera effects but if it is on the skimpy side it won't hold onto moisture for very long.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Body

Blondi is what the shop had it labeled as... and I got conflicting answers when trying to research for myself.
Nice... I like Moose. Great Name by the way.
Best Regards to you both.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Caution against overfeeding.

What does the whole enclosure look like?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
This is very true! They will eat far more than they need if given the chance!!