just opened the eggsac

armstrong82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
please help me with my sac (of spiders)

I just opened the sac from my rosie. i left it in her care for about 30-33 days. most of the embryos were "eggs with legs." i put them in a rearing container like the one described in the sticky above, only i used white cotton cloth for the hammock. ive got the container in an empty 5 1/2 gal tank on the shelf at about 80-85 degress F. can anyone give me any further care tips? ive got a bunch of 2 oz. deli cups, 1/4 full of bed-a-beast, ready for when the time comes to separate them. i just dont know what to do until then. i plan to feed them pinhead crix when they are separated. so if anyone can give me any tips that would be cool. thanks

Last edited:

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
some books and or people would reccomend waiting til they molt once (1st instar?) to begin feeding, yes feeding is a good thing however it also will raise the canabilism rate as they are now learning to hunt...

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
here is what I do...I leave them together till they are 1st instar. If there are alot of them, you can either separate them at this stage, or leave them together and let them cannabalize to a reasonable level. I've not noticed any eating till 2nd instar myself, but others here have witnessed 1st instar cannabalism.
Once they've molted into 2nd instar, they are quite mobile, and a bit harder to separate. Sounds like you've got the right idea, keeping them on damp peat moss. I have fed mine anything from beef heart, to chopped up mealworms, to cricket legs. They will scavange with no problem, they don't need live food.
Good luck!