Just Old Age?

TehNessa

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

First post simply because I couldnt find any real detailed info on greatly aged spiders... and im worried about my Fang. I hope this is posted to the correct section, i just found this board tonight.

Fang is a Rose tarantula that i acquired second (well, third, actually) hand about 8 years ago. She was the same size then that she is now, about 4" give or take, from front left to back right leg. In the 8 years that Ive had her, she has only molted once and did not visibly increase in size at all - that was several years ago.

This week she has not been quite as active as she normally is, patrolling her box, but i put it down to the weather being slightly cooler and her box being unheated, though it never drops below 60F in this room, even at night. She has not eaten her crickets this week, but being a rose, she sometimes does that.

Tonight, though, she is almost limp and nearly unresponsive. She's never been aggressive, but she doesnt particularly like to be handled. When i noticed she hadnt moved at all today, i reached in and gave her a gentle pet - no response. I picked her up and she barely waved a leg, she just sat in my hand like a fluffy rock, and was cool to the touch.

Her abdomen is not shrunken, her hairs look fine and glossy as ever, but she is acting like she's on the edge of the grave and she didnt do this the one and only time she shed while in my care... so im thinking she's just old and on her way out, but i want to know if there's anything else i can do or check for. right now ive got her very near, but not quite in her water. the window is closed tonight because id rather it be stuffy for me than chilly for her.

sorry for the long winded first post, but im worried about her - like i said, ive had this leggy lady for 8 years now, and im kind of attached. if it is just old age, i can deal with that because i know she's had all a spider can want these last 8 years, but if there's something i can do for her to perk her up and get her back to herself, i will happily do it.

The photo below is from 2005, before the molt - she had those bald patches when i got her from her previous owner - ruler and my hand for scale, if it helps with determining her age.

thanks for reading and for any knowledge or advice. i will post her condition, alive or not, tomorrow just to let you all know what happened.

FangRuler.JPG

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
First off, welcome to the boards. And sorry that you come here with a problem.
Roseas can live a couple of decades. Without knowing how old she was when you got her, there is no way to determine her age, especially if she was initially wild caught. Frequently, the older they get, the longer they go between molts. Six years is a long time between molts, which may indicate that she is geriatric. Most spiders will get lethargic before molting. Are her legs curled under her, or is she in normal posture? Does her abdomen appear normal or does it look wrinkled or shriveled? Is there any way for you to post a current picture? Are you sure she is a she? I have heard of mature males of some terrestrial species living an extended time after their ultimate molt. Are there hooks on the front legs? and do the ends of the pedipalps look bulbous?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dont wurry so much about the climate, they can have very cold nights.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
If she molted only once in eight years, she was probably very old, and may just be on her way out.
Though, I would let her be until she started to stink. A friend of mine told me a similar story about a very old B. smithi. If I remember the story correctly, after seemingly dying, it ended up molting upright after a couple of days.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
the Lifespan on Ts is very much unknown...a female G rosea can live very long 20+ yrs
unfortunately theres no way to calculate a Wc G Rosea's age...

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
If it were me I would move her/him to a warmer area for a few days or maybe a week and see if it makes any difference. Keep water bowl full and clean.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I agree with Hobo, she is likely very old and may be reaching the end of her days. It is impossible to determine age, as Formerphobe said. Not much to do but keep caring for her the way you have been.

As for the bald spot in the picture, that's normal, just so you know. It's from kicking hairs. :)

G. rosea can handle lower temps, so I wouldn't think the temps you mentioned should be an issue. Just make sure she has a full water dish and wait and see, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot you can do for her, if she is on her way out.

TehNessa

Arachnopeon
She did in fact make it through the night and her status hasnt changed. she is still pretty much unresponsive to being handled, which i discovered when i took her out for a photo - she moves, but only with the vaguest protest and not like her former OMG PUT ME DOWN attitude.

Formerphobe: Her legs are not curled under her, though she is crouched a bit, is the only way i can describe it. she's not sitting with her legs as far apart as normal, and is resting slightly on her abdomen, but i wouldnt go as far as to say they're curling under - though she did curl slightly when i turned her over to make sure there was nothing blatantly wrong with her belly - her previous response would have been wild protest. She doesnt look shriveled or wrinkled, though she seems somehow smaller than i think of her as being - probably because she's keeping her legs closer to her body. As far as i know, she is a she. the guy i talked to at a petstore locally that breeds a lot of spiders says the chances are if she were full grown when i got her and ive had her as long as i have, is that she's female - ive never noted any claws on her front legs other than the same tiny gripping "toenails" that are on all the other feet and her pedipalps have never bulged on the ends. today's photo is below since you asked. :)

Hobo, Shell: i'll let her be if she "dies" till im sure she's really dead. the one time ive seen her molt, she refused to eat for a couple weeks (not really that unusual for her), but didnt otherwise seem sluggish or off till the morning of, at which point when i got home from work she was shiny and new. if she is just molting again, she's going about it entirely differently - but if there's anything the books, pet stores, and internet agree with, it seems to be that g rosea is fond of acting weird. o_o

I did see a single tiny baby cricket when i took her out for her photo op just now... apparently one managed to lay eggs before being eaten or removed... hate when they do that. normally i would just dump the strata and give her new, but that always seems to stress her out as she figures out where she is all over again. in this case should i proceed as normal or not risk the additional stress on her? i know she's survived the occasional babysitting of young food when ive been on vacation and her care-taker missed a cricket, or just didnt take them out when she didnt eat them, but i also hear they can be quite vicious little buggers. im just not sure in this case which risk/stress would be worse: moving her to new strata, or baby foods.

thanks for your comments and info, everyone.

FangSickly.JPG

CoSpiderGuy

Arachnopeon
I have a 10+ year old rose hair. I have had her since I was 17 (8 years) and she was already 4+ inches then. It's been over 2 years since she has molted.

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
My rosea molted recently, first time in 8-10 years. This last time she was lathargic for a while before she molted. This was also the first time I have ever seen her molt she just did right out on the openin the middle of the cage I found her on her side with her legs kinda of moving slowly I put a piece of cork bark do she could brave her legs on it to l
Molt took her nearly 20 hours to complete the molt. I have had for about 25 years, my point is when tey get older they aren't as springy as when they were younger. I would leave her be and if their aren't too many baby crickets I would not Change the substrate. Your T could be in premolt.

TehNessa

Arachnopeon
alas, as of now she appears to be dead and not molting or even considering molting. she is not death-curled, just kind of... frozen. front legs slightly curled, but not like a bug that's been sprayed. back legs just standing. completely unresponsive. its been the cap to a f-ing terrible day. :(

as advised i will leave her as is and keep the water full for a few days on the off chance she snaps out of it and comes out shiny and new.

thanks for the comments, everyone.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
alas, as of now she appears to be dead and not molting or even considering molting. she is not death-curled, just kind of... frozen. front legs slightly curled, but not like a bug that's been sprayed. back legs just standing. completely unresponsive. its been the cap to a f-ing terrible day. :(

as advised i will leave her as is and keep the water full for a few days on the off chance she snaps out of it and comes out shiny and new.

thanks for the comments, everyone.
This sounds terrible, but don't dispose of her until she starts to stink, you just never know.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Some Ts molt the wrong way.. it could still be alive

if its actualy dead.. which it probably is.. sorry for your loss .. old Ts dont live forever, :(
you could buy a sling to replace it