Just curious

Pancakensyrup

Arachnosquire
Would tarantulas from the same egg sack mate? If so would this cause potential genic defects like in humans and dogs?

rockpython

Arachnopeon
Not generally since the females mature much later. I hear that is that way to specifically prevent inbreeding

And inbreeding isn't as big of a deal with inverts... look at cockroaches for example

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This is nothing like mammals or reptiles. Females often mature 2 years later than their brothers, by which time the males are dead of old age. Obviously this evolutionary development prevents inbreeding and the fresh injection of new genetic material promotes the creation of new adaptations and even new species. Most species in captivity are inbred to some degree with no sign of ill effects. Due to the cost and difficulties of obtaining species from the tropics and third world countries, small groups of specimens are typically brought in from the wild and that's it for breeding stock. Because new males are needed every year, before long all the members of a species in the hobby are related.

It's a good idea to do some research on tarantulas to get up to speed.

Pancakensyrup

Arachnosquire
Well I feel dumb now lol I knew about the males maturing before the females it just never clicked...answer staring you in the face lol

I've not read a lot about breeding yet my main concern at the moment is learning to care for the ones we have....not ready for 500+ micro dots lol