Jumping spiders!

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi everyone.
I've been interested in jumping spiders for a bit, and have miraculously caught 2 in my home in one day!

I don't have any pinhead crickets, so that's the main reason I think I'm going to let them go.But before I do, is there any way I could keep them in captivity?

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You don't need to have small crickets you can use cricket parts. You can also try small meal worms since they will love the wiggling dinner! :) These guys will readily take any food offered and you don't need any special container set up, any clear plastic container with lots of ventilation is good. They are super hardy and very active.

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You don't need to have small crickets you can use cricket parts. You can also try small meal worms since they will love the wiggling dinner! :) These guys will readily take any food offered and you don't need any special container set up, any clear plastic container with lots of ventilation is good. They are super hardy and very active.
So they would they eat pre-killed?
Because I have a can of pre-killed meal worms.

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have 9 so far, caught them all myself too.7 of them are tiny so been giving them baby crickets cause just had a successful cricket breeding last week but fruit flies work well and are easy to produce, used bananas. the other two are taking small crickets the size of them with no problems. good luck with them, they are so cool to watch.

the biggest 1

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OOOH! I see you have a nice little female Platycryptus undatus. ;) I've kept one before. I found her during a rainstorm, nearly drowned, in the bed of my uncle's truck. She was quite active, and interesting to watch. Very different from Phidippus species.

Mine was very picky in her diet. She would only take prey smaller than herself, whereas other jumpers will take down prey that is much larger.

I ended up letting her go, as she seemed very restless in an enclosure. These are the crawliest jumpers I have ever seen, aside from Sitticus pubescens and Salticus scenicus.

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OOOH! I see you have a nice little female Platycryptus undatus. ;) I've kept one before. I found her during a rainstorm, nearly drowned, in the bed of my uncle's truck. She was quite active, and interesting to watch. Very different from Phidippus species.

Mine was very picky in her diet. She would only take prey smaller than herself, whereas other jumpers will take down prey that is much larger.

I ended up letting her go, as she seemed very restless in an enclosure. These are the crawliest jumpers I have ever seen, aside from Sitticus pubescens and Salticus scenicus.

its a girl :eek: thanks for the ID btw :worship:
no problems with her eating, she will take a cricket her size every 2 to 3 days.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I snagged a jumping spider too recently, but unfortunately he lived only two days before passing on. He shared a car ride from upstate NY all the way down to Maryland, on the ceiling above my head (even managed to get a speeding ticket in a work zone in NY because of him, yeay distractions!)

Too bad he didn't make it, he was a TINY little thing, too. He was a male though, had those front glove thingies (can't see in this pic, but I have some blurry ones with it very visible)

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I ended up letting them go yesterday. They wouldn't eat the crickets.

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I snagged a jumping spider too recently, but unfortunately he lived only two days before passing on. He shared a car ride from upstate NY all the way down to Maryland, on the ceiling above my head (even managed to get a speeding ticket in a work zone in NY because of him, yeay distractions!)

Too bad he didn't make it, he was a TINY little thing, too. He was a male though, had those front glove thingies (can't see in this pic, but I have some blurry ones with it very visible)
you sure it was the car ride? I have brought 13 spiders home, 4 wolfs and the 9 jumpers and all are eating and doing fine.. Oh yeah, they all had a bike ride on my RVT 1000 :? for those of you that dont know, its a big V-twin sport bike that makes a lot of noise and vibrates like crazy, not to mention i ride it like i stoled it :D

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you sure it was the car ride? I have brought 13 spiders home, 4 wolfs and the 9 jumpers and all are eating and doing fine.. Oh yeah, they all had a bike ride on my RVT 1000 :? for those of you that dont know, its a big V-twin sport bike that makes a lot of noise and vibrates like crazy, not to mention i ride it like i stoled it :D

Let's just say I didn't know he was still IN the car with me afterwards, so he spent a couple days in the car in 90 degree heat before I found him again. He survived a lot, but when I did finally catch him and get him out of the car, he died 2 days later. I FOUND him in the car, I didn't find him outside or whatever, he hitched a ride with me above my head, heh.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Neat

Too bad you couldn't keep them. Jumpers are great spiders.

I have two female Phidippus johnsoni, some slings and 2 egg sacs. They eat almost anything except the largest of bugs. Fed them any kind of fly and silverfish. They're taking food from my tweezers lately. Both are vigilently guarding their eggs right now.

gravid

lg is from random spider she ate.