Jet Lagged Tarantulas?

BrachyDude

Arachnopeon
I received a couple tarantulas this morning in the mail, and one of them seems totally out of it.

Im used to opening the little deli cups, to a bouncy T ready to jog a couple miles. But this time, the adult female C. fasiatum totally seemed out of it. She sat there looking all dazed, and was in a half-way death curl position. I noticed that the left 2nd leg was oozing a bit on the base, but its not flowing so Im not sure if I should attempt to superglue it or not. Anyways, shes in the ICU right now.

I contacted the people that I bought her from, and they said that she may have injured her leg during the shipping process, which is believable. They also said that she is close to molting.

More info that could help, she is CB, and about 4 inches.

How long do you think that it will take for her to bounce back? A week?

Thanks, and any advice would definately be appreciated.

Alex

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If her leg is leaking you should get something on it. i'm not sure if superglue on a joint is a good idea. maybe hit it with some cornstarch or flour and see if she drops it herself. Also, if she's curling you may want to get her in an icu or at least an enclosure with some moisture and a waterdish. If she really was flown she could be quite dehydrated.

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If her leg is leaking you should get something on it. i'm not sure if superglue on a joint is a good idea. maybe hit it with some cornstarch or flour and see if she drops it herself. Also, if she's curling you may want to get her in an icu or at least an enclosure with some moisture and a waterdish. If she really was flown she could be quite dehydrated.
Yes rehydration sounds best as for the injury just keep monitoring it. The cornstarch idea is new to me but sounds logical I am interested in anymore info on such subject.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Probably being shipped during a heat wave does not help any

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it is just oozing a bit you can try a dab of flour or cornstarch... Some people don't agree with shipping when a spider is in premolt. I don't have enough personal experience to say one way or the other. However, it sounds like there were a few compounding factors working against her... Good luck...

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
adult t's tend to suffer more from shipping bumps and bruises because of their heavier weight causing them to bounce more/harder as compared to a featherweight sling or lightweight juvie.

BrachyDude

Arachnopeon
Ya, the premolt, temps, and the bumpy ride must have been what did it. It always ticks me off when the lady at the post office just chucks the box onto the counter, shakes and flips the box until she finds the side with the label. Ive explained to her what was in the box a couple times before, but after the next couple times, she totally blows it off and does the same thing again.

Im 75% sure that the T will come around. She has moved around a bit, and she is no longer in the death curl position. Ill post some pics tonight.

Thanks for the replies,
Alex

BrachyDude

Arachnopeon
Shes gone

She started to molt about noon today. But never completed. This whole situation makes me sick. I was REALLY looking forward to this T.

At least I still have the others, and I could always try again.

Alex

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She started to molt about noon today. But never completed. This whole situation makes me sick. I was REALLY looking forward to this T.

At least I still have the others, and I could always try again.

Alex
Wow sorry to hear, bad molts are always so frustrating.