Itching?! :/

CTMJMJ

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone!

I just purchased a Rose haired turantula which I have been handling and now I am itching like crazy!! I know I wasn't bitten, and the person at the pet store said I may experience some itching, but it's a lot. Is this normal? Thanks!

~Stephanie

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
Everyone reacts differently to the hairs and there are also different kinds of uritcating hairs. Like, if I picked up my A. avic, I would itch like crazy afterwards, but I never itch after handling my rose hair.

CTMJMJ

Arachnopeon
Everyone reacts differently to the hairs and there are also different kinds of uritcating hairs. Like, if I picked up my A. avic, I would itch like crazy afterwards, but I never itch after handling my rose hair.
Thanks...It's driving me nuts lol. It has calmed down somewhat now, though.

Grin

Arachnoknight
Sounds like your really sensitive to their hairs.
Take some benadryl it will help a bit, next time you handle wear some rubber gloves.

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
Lol, I was apparently super sensitive to the Avic's hairs because my hands would itch for hours on end. It was ridiculous, haha.

CTMJMJ

Arachnopeon
A couple of our kids are itching too, but the one who handled it the most isn't itching at all lol.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Hi Everyone!

I just purchased a Rose haired turantula which I have been handling and now I am itching like crazy!! I know I wasn't bitten, and the person at the pet store said I may experience some itching, but it's a lot. Is this normal? Thanks!

~Stephanie
of course its normal!... just run the irritated area under warm water to open up the pours!
then use masking tape or even scotch and apply then remove! if your still itching repeat as many times as needed aha

CTMJMJ

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone...I appreciate the responses! just wanted to make sure lol.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
of course its normal!... just run the irritated area under warm water to open up the pours!
then use masking tape or even scotch and apply then remove! if your still itching repeat as many times as needed aha
Have you tried duct tape?

CTMJMJ

Arachnopeon
Have you tried duct tape?
No, but I may consider it in the future lol. This is my first experience with a tarantula. It's funny...I am scared to death of tiny, household spiders and the like, but the tarantula doesn't frighten me at all lol. I still hate webs, though.

jakykong

Arachnobaron
If you don't like webs, you might want to be aware that Grammostola rosea seems to like webbing anywhere they walk. It's not a "web" per se (doesn't capture prey, isn't sticky), but that might be a distinction without a difference.

You might be missing out, though! Spiders, including tarantulas, have a wide array of uses for silk. Some tarantulas - like GBBs or OBTs like to make veritable labyrinths out of silk, and it's really quite interesting to observe.

CTMJMJ

Arachnopeon
If you don't like webs, you might want to be aware that Grammostola rosea seems to like webbing anywhere they walk. It's not a "web" per se (doesn't capture prey, isn't sticky), but that might be a distinction without a difference.

You might be missing out, though! Spiders, including tarantulas, have a wide array of uses for silk. Some tarantulas - like GBBs or OBTs like to make veritable labyrinths out of silk, and it's really quite interesting to observe.
You'll have to forgive me, I'm not familiar with all of the terms and abbreviations just yet lol. I haven't seen any webs from "Princess" yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to deal with it. (I hope) lol.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
uh... what if you push the hairs in FURTHER while the pores are open from the warm water? i have had and curently have NUMEROUS terrestrials ; L. parahybana, A. geniculata, G. rosea, G. pulchripes, E. campestratus (most of my New World terrestrials).. and have NEVER had a prob with hairs.. is THAT normal? the tape idea i get, and sounds plausible.... id also keep hydro-cortizone cream handy (takes away the itch)

jakykong

Arachnobaron
You'll have to forgive me, I'm not familiar with all of the terms and abbreviations just yet lol. I haven't seen any webs from "Princess" yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to deal with it. (I hope) lol.
Ah, sorry. I'm fairly new myself, you'll catch on pretty quickly! :)

GBB = Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and I really hope I spelled that right!), OBT = Orange Baboon Tarantula or Orange Bitey Thing (take your pick - Pterinochilus murinus). I have an OBT sling right now, I *think* he's just over 1" at this point, but, that labyrinth of webbing pretty well hides his size.

As for G. rosea, I didn't mean that they make webs, more like they usually leave a trail of webbing behind them when they walk. In both enclosures mine has been in, the substrate and pretty much everything else ended up covered in a fine sheet of silk. From what you said, I can't tell if that'd be a problem for you, but it's something to think about.

CTMJMJ

Arachnopeon
Ah, sorry. I'm fairly new myself, you'll catch on pretty quickly! :)

GBB = Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and I really hope I spelled that right!), OBT = Orange Baboon Tarantula or Orange Bitey Thing (take your pick - Pterinochilus murinus). I have an OBT sling right now, I *think* he's just over 1" at this point, but, that labyrinth of webbing pretty well hides his size.

As for G. rosea, I didn't mean that they make webs, more like they usually leave a trail of webbing behind them when they walk. In both enclosures mine has been in, the substrate and pretty much everything else ended up covered in a fine sheet of silk. From what you said, I can't tell if that'd be a problem for you, but it's something to think about.
Thanks! I appreciate the help. :) I came across some pictures on here of the GGB and OBT and they're pretty amazing! I fed my tarantula earlier and couldn't figure out why she started going in circles. Shortly after, I noticed some webbing and the cricket all wrapped up. Wasn't too thrilled, but I'll live lol. ;)

---------- Post added 01-17-2012 at 03:06 PM ----------

Cracking up at my status: "Arachnopeon"

jakykong

Arachnobaron
What's left of the cricket is called the food bolus. I don't think I've seen mine web it up, but they do web in circles while they eat (I've started calling it the dinner ballet). It's an interesting behavior, and I never get tired of watching it :)

CTMJMJ

Arachnopeon
What's left of the cricket is called the food bolus. I don't think I've seen mine web it up, but they do web in circles while they eat (I've started calling it the dinner ballet). It's an interesting behavior, and I never get tired of watching it :)
It's very interesting, that's for sure! "Dinner Ballet"...That's good lol.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The itchiness of the hairs doesnt come only by their barbed-shape, but also the chemicals on them. So even if you get ridd of all of them, you will still be itchy for days.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
uh... what if you push the hairs in FURTHER while the pores are open from the warm water? i have had and curently have NUMEROUS terrestrials ; L. parahybana, A. geniculata, G. rosea, G. pulchripes, E. campestratus (most of my New World terrestrials).. and have NEVER had a prob with hairs.. is THAT normal? the tape idea i get, and sounds plausible.... id also keep hydro-cortizone cream handy (takes away the itch)
hydro-cortisone?
that cream basically eats the skin :p