Issue with pinktoes

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a versicolor and an avic. The versi has no problem going down to the ground and getting it's food. It's a little older which shouldn't matter, but the avic, I've constantly had problems of it getting crickets on it's own, to to mention they just die. It molted over a week ago (1 inch) and it still hasn't taken any crickets. The versi has already caught 2. Anyone have a solution? I hate not seeing it eat anything

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
1)Put it in a small container if it isn't in one already so it will catch it easier.
OR
2)Kill/weaken the prey item and use forceps to feed it.
OR
3)Kill the prey and throw it in, it helps to put it in a smaller container with this one as well.

Last edited:

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my avic slings won't take food off the ground, so I just prekill and leave it on a part of their web they frequent. Voila, after a few mins to a couple hours they find it eventually :D

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well what's up with the versi, he/she has no problems going downtown to get their groceries LOL

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
well what's up with the versi, he/she has no problems going downtown to get their groceries LOL
IMO A.versicolors are a lot more aggressive feeders, I have had the same thing happen to me. But she will probably grow out of it as she gets bigger. Is it a .5 inch A. avic?

Dyon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Got the same problem with my A.metallica, i use crickets to feed her.
I pull of the back legs of the crickets so it cant jump anymore and then gently throw it in her hole and most of the time she will catch it :)

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Oh, and I forgot to mention, arboreals(especially A.avic) are programed to catch food that can actually climb up next to them or fly by past them. In nature they rarely ever come down and catch food(if ever). So Avics would never have a problem catching a lobster roach or a fly(fruit fly for slings) in captivity if its the appropriate size.

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO A.versicolors are a lot more aggressive feeders, I have had the same thing happen to me. But she will probably grow out of it as she gets bigger. Is it a .5 inch A. avic?
My avic is an inch and just yesterday he'she had the cricket in it's mouth.....so it must have finally went and got it!!!:clap:

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah I have an a. avic, a. met, a. amazonican, and 2 versis all in similar set ups all will go down and get prekilled dubias or live crix from there enclosures. There all under an inch and all are in 3 7/16 x 6 5/16 clear containers set upside down.

I did notice today my a. metallica sling was pacing the tank like it was looking for something and I had put a head smashed dubia nymph in there last night, it had kicked itself right side up. I flipped it back over on its back left the room, came back an hour later and the sling had the dubia up at the top of the enclosure.

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have found out that if they are hungry enough they will go looking for the food.

CUebbing

Arachnopeon
I have a metallica adult and a versi sling and both will go to the ground to get food. The sling will eat immediately if drop a cricket in the web. If the cricket falls to the ground she will go get it but it may take a while (like a day).

On a side note, for the metallica adult I have a feeder hole I drop the crickets in and if I get her attention she will catch the crickets as I drop them through the hole. I thought that was cool.