Is your Harpactira pulchripes fossorial?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I know, and fully understand that it’s solely up to tarantulas whether they want to use hides or not, or whether to burrow or not, and I have no control over it.

However, almost every post / picture of them I see, I see them in / near / make burrows, and I see people call them pet holes.

This is not the case of mine.

815DABB0-E592-4597-A255-CA1458C49C85.jpeg

Hides were provided, but never been used. Initial pre made burrows (with deep enough substrate) were provided, but never been utilized.

Is your Harpactira pulchripes fossorial?

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had quite a few Ts that don’t do what is expected.

All that matters is they eat poop and molt

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Mine has webbing all the way to the ceiling but has also dug a hole all the way to the bottom. I am not sure what it is doing. What is bad is I can’t even open the lid without messing it all up. What is good is that it is in premolt so next molt I will rehouse.
E6E8D409-949C-4CE5-A0F0-5B645CC28BE9.jpeg

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Mines is kind of like an OBT in terms of adaptability. They normally just work with whatever enclosure you give them. Mines isn't really a pet hole, but he is a construction worker as he digs and webs around. I plan on rehousing him soon into something bigger since he's at pen-ultimate. I do think they are obligate burrowers, but specimens will always vary at the end of the day.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Mine is not. I set it up as such, but it’s out constantly

loon4ever

Arachnopeon
Mine is absolutely not. Admittedly I've only had it for half a year.
I posted a picture of it recently in the "Who Molted Thread". It's webbed up the whole surface creating itself almost like a "bowl"? I've never seen it move a bit of dirt. I've got it set up the same as my Chilobrachys whom have all done some awesome burrows.

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
Mine is out most of the time. It doesn't even really have a burrow, just some space webbed up behind the cork bark in there against the edge of the enclosure.

Lazaru

Arachnopeon
Mine is out in the open 90% of the time
when it was a sling it built a burrow and webbed up half the enclosure and hid away
Then one day it destroyed its webbing and its been out ever since

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Mine was terrestrial and extremely skittish in its sling enclosure, but now that I’ve moved it into the juvenile enclosure it is fully fossorial

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
As a small sling mine made a little web tube between a piece of cork bark and the side of the enclosure.
I've rehoused it into a bigger container in the last month, and it's using the starter burrow I provided but has built a web turret out of substrate and sphagnum moss at the entrance to the starter burrow. Still it hangs out in the open relatively close to the entrance, but definitely more above ground than below.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It’s very interesting to see the same species with different behaviors. They are, of course, not in totally same keeping conditions, but still.

Thanks all for sharing.

becks0303

Arachnopeon
Mine doesn't web at all other than to seal the entrance of her hide... and she hides kn the burrow in rhe day and only comes out at night. And when she comes out she just sticks tp the glass, not sure why