Is this product safe for tarantula cages?

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
But is it safe? i mean this one is too large, but they have smaller, and my gf enjoys making themed tanks, and she wants a golden one.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't use it. They don't specify what products they dip the branches in to achieve that gold color, or if there are any additional sealants applied afterward, so there's no way to know whether those products might be toxic to your spiders.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I don’t see how it would be a big problem in a dry enclosure, if it was in a really humid and moist enclosure that paint may breakdown and be toxic. It’s likely something like a metallic spray paint type chemical

bulbophyllum

Arachnosquire
With out knowing what it was dipped in there is no telling. But, I would bet it would be fine for a dry environment. If you order on and open the package and it really smells it's still off gassing and not safe. Probably ok but who knows.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
hm it's for an A. Avic, metallic, so it is dry, still I worry. Though she'd like it so I think I will try it.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
what if I try it with a wolf spider from myy garage, there's so many down there... Would that test be a good safety indicator?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Some parts of the branches look a bit sharp. Others may disagree, but the way I see it, if you have an Avic in an enclosure, that tarantula is going to be spending all its time in and around that decoration, vastly increasing the chance of some sort of accident where it could rupture itself against one of those sharp parts.
And that's without even considering any possible toxicity of the paint.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I wouldn't use it. They don't specify what products they dip the branches in to achieve that gold color, or if there are any additional sealants applied afterward, so there's no way to know whether those products might be toxic to your spiders.
A very common gold coloring agent is cadmium which is not a friend of any living organism. If there is even the slightest chance it is present you are begging for trouble.

Martikhoras

Arachnopeon
You could try and ask the manufacturer. I know the people in the company could just say "sure it's safe for anything" just to sell you but if you ask for specifics like cadmium, as The Snark wrote, the person you are talking to could probably answer it.
It's worth a try in my opinion.

(You could also lie and say "Someone gifted me that golden tree and my baby licked it, is it poisonous?", but I don't know how that turns out)

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Ive asked for specifics, if I do not receive them I'll try the baby one after that and say doctors need to know or something. I wanna know if it's safe. Also the points I'll have to check in person if they're sharp I'll that myself, i have mangolia branches that are natural and they're quite blunt at the ends but I did have one I had to blunt myself.