Is this premolt? b. hamorii (smithi)

Phases

Arachnoknight
So I got this lady four days ago. She explored briefly then pretty much locked herself in the corner hid-a-way. She has yet to eat. I noticed today her abdomen is getting black:

20170623_061457.jpg

Is this pre-molt - or about to be? Any estimates on how long we have? I'm going out of town today for 8 or 9 days total. There may or may not be a buried small dubia roach in there somewhere. Bad?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I would try to get the roach out of the enclosure for sure, you don't want it nibbling at your B. hamorii especially when it flips over to molt. The picture isn't very clear, do you have a closer shot of the abdomen, it would help enormously. Did the T refuse the roach, and if so how did it react when it was offered?

Phases

Arachnoknight
This is the best I can do. The middle tan part is what it all looked like a few days ago. Now it's black around the perimeter of the bald spot:

20170623_063146.jpg 20170623_063201.jpg

Well, I can't recall honestly. I'm going to start logging feedings, molts, etc of these guys. I may have pulled it out. I just now dug around some with the tongs and probably did more harm than good. I didn't realize but there was a mat in front of the burrow door that I moved all around. Then put back. :embarrassed:

Phases

Arachnoknight
I suppose I could put some gut load food in there so if there is a roach, and it gets hungry, it might go for that rather than the T?

I can't find or see evidence of one, but there's a lot of substrate in there..

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I suppose I could put some gut load food in there so if there is a roach, and it gets hungry, it might go for that rather than the T?

I can't find or see evidence of one, but there's a lot of substrate in there..
Your T is in pre-molt, I know that's really not what you wanted to hear as you're going away, best thing to do is let your partner know(if she's not going too)then you'll most likely return to a newly clothed B.hamorii, it may even be a couple of weeks yet, hope all goes well.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Your T is in pre-molt, I know that's really not what you wanted to hear as you're going away, best thing to do is let your partner know(if she's not going too)then you'll most likely return to a newly clothed B.hamorii, it may even be a couple of weeks yet, hope all goes well.
Just read that back to myself - duh it doesn't help. Yes your T is in pre-molt, nothing to worry about, as long as there isn't a roach in the enclosure all should go well.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Nah we're leaving, with this room dark and locked. Noone will be able to come in here once I leave. I would need to pull him out if a neighbor needs to monitor. The people babysitting the cat COULD babysit this girl, take her to their houe so they can watch and should she molt, keep a watchful eye for the roach.. think that's needed?

I just do not know if there is a roach :(

Phases

Arachnoknight
I mean, with these roaches, that's a risk in pretty much any of my terrariums.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I mean, with these roaches, that's a risk in pretty much any of my terrariums.
Only if their in pre-molt, if there's a roach and the spider has no interest it will flick it away, or threat posture, knowing B. hamorii it'll likely flick it away, but if it's flipped over to molt it won't be able to do any of these.....

Phases

Arachnoknight
But surely if I put roach food in there it would go for that instead? Could it find it? Smell?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
But surely if I put roach food in there it would go for that instead? Could it find it? Smell?
Yes you could give that a try, keep a keen eye and hopefully it'll come out of hiding, apart from that there's really not a lot you can do, if you're really that worried you could put the T in a catch cup, dig out the substrate, find the roach (if it's in there) then put the spider back in to it's enclosure.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Ok I just dug pretty hard core around the entire enclosure except that corner she is in. I think we're good.

Should I be good with just the water dish for these 9 days, or should I give a good misting before we walk out the door?

also, she's super cramped in there under that piece of wood, I assume she will dig herself a little more room if she needs it. She just moved in and is rather nervous, esp with my digging around, I think she's kinda cramped it up pretty good in there. Seems like no clearance between her and the wood.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Ok I just dug pretty hard core around the entire enclosure except that corner she is in. I think we're good.

Should I be good with just the water dish for these 9 days, or should I give a good misting before we walk out the door?

also, she's super cramped in there under that piece of wood, I assume she will dig herself a little more room if she needs it. She just moved in and is rather nervous, esp with my digging around, I think she's kinda cramped it up pretty good in there. Seems like no clearance between her and the wood.
If someone is coming in to let your cat out, ask if they can keep an eye on your T as well, there shouldn't be any problem, it will molt fine, as long as the suspect roach isn't in the enclosure all should go well. If you feel there's not enough space for the molt try moving the bark to a higher angle so there's no chance of it getting stuck, apart from that it all sounds good.

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
If someone is coming in to let your cat out, ask if they can keep an eye on your T as well, there shouldn't be any problem, it will molt fine, as long as the suspect roach isn't in the enclosure all should go fine. If you feel there's not enough space for the molt try moving the bark to a higher angle so there's no chance of it getting stuck, apart from that it all sounds good.
Just looked at the picture again - there's plenty of space....

Phases

Arachnoknight
Hmm, ok I'll see if others chime in while I sit here and knock some work out. I can probably dig his little den a little deeper instead of move the wood.. he may not initially like it but will probably prefer it in the long run.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Don't dig or do anything else with the burrow. She will do that herself. If you are worried about the roach. Try wait till it gets dark. If there's anything in there it might come out to get a drink.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hmm, ok I'll see if others chime in while I sit here and knock some work out. I can probably dig his little den a little deeper instead of move the wood.. he may not initially like it but will probably prefer it in the long run.
It shouldn't be necessary, they can molt in surprisingly tight quarters without issue. Digging around the enclosure and changing the hide will just stress your spider out.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Several guessed F from earlier picture. The molt, while I do have it, was dry and a bit crunched.. Might be able to re-hydrate.