Is this enclosure suitable and question about web

ALS78

Arachnopeon
Hi, newbie here so sorry for silly questions in advance. We got an Arizona blonde (we think it’s a she) for our daughter on Friday and she has settled in nicely. She has eaten 3 crickets and last night she had made a web around one end of the cork board and hung out under it most of the night. She came out from under the cork board and has meandered around the enclosure but the web is gone. Is that normal also does the enclosure set up look ok? Thanks for the help!

6FD06514-F013-464A-9A6A-A6C5F39CA324.jpeg 48C20FDE-7CDE-4D3E-A334-807A0068A12A.jpeg 05A388C7-A13A-4121-9205-61EFB92E0295.jpeg B4E03FC3-6624-4716-9BB3-3AB355853327.jpeg

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
The enclosure looks ok except for I would have more substrate in case the t wants to take a walk upside down, a fall wouldn’t injure it. Also that water dish is wayyy too big, something not nearly a quarter that size would suffice. As for everything else you mentioned, get used to t’s doing weird stuff:rofl: Each of mine have their own personality, 100%.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
I'd say deeper but smaller water dish.
You don't need humidity and temperature readers,also stones are unecessary,they are hard and sharp and can injure a spider in case of a fall
Other than that,looks good.
Just out of curiousity,what's that white substrate on the very bottom?

ALS78

Arachnopeon
Hi, thanks for the advice! I’ll take the rocks out! The girl at the pet store recommended a substrate of cedar chips and sand, after reading up on this board I realized that was all wrong and replaced it with eco earth cocoa fiber, the white stuff on the bottom is a little sand left in because daughter thought it was “pretty”. Will it cause any issues? The water dish was also recommended by pet store girl it’s barely full, do you think it’s ok? The enclosure is a zilla micro habitat terrestrial its 6” tall and there is 3” of substrate is that enough? Also T has been kicking up substrate around the cork board, the cork board is partially buried and leaning against side of enclosure, I know it’s lite but if it were to fall could it hurt her or trap her. Ugh, I’ll be honest I really like this spider and I want it to thrive. I really appreciate the help.

sourpatchkid

Arachnopeon
Overall it’s fine, the enclosure is beautiful. Here are things to improve:

1. water dish can be half the size.
2. Get rid of the rocks, in case the T falls on it

the sand is fine

cold blood

Staff member
She has eaten 3 crickets and last night
Keep in mind this is a very slow growing species, with a low food requirement. There is never a need to feed multiple feeders in one sitting. In fact, to clarify, 3 crickets would be about 6-12 weeks of food for an adult of this species.

Excessive feeding wont hurt, but it will lead directly to a very long fasting and hiding period. And we are talking about a year or more at a time. The heavier you feed, the more boring time you will get from your t.

she has settled in nicely. She has eaten...and last night she had made a web around one end of the cork board and hung out under it most of the night. She came out from under the cork board and has meandered around the enclosure but the web is gone. Is that normal
perfectly normal
l also does the enclosure set up look ok?
It looks fine, its just HUGE.....it could be half as big and I would still consider it to be over sized. But it shouldn't pose any issue as long as you have the room.

You don't need humidity and temperature readers,also stones are unecessary
completely unnecessary.

A chalcodes can deal with some of the widest temp ranges of any t......an adult can handle temps into the 50s and over 90.

Humidity isn't at all relevant to t keeping
! The girl at the pet store recommended a substrate of cedar chips and sand,
Yeah, pets stores offer terrible advice...usually gotten from a poor care sheet in the back room, and not actual experience. Glad you figured that out and found this forum.

water dish can be half the size.
Or less....but it could also be twice the size....lol

Too me depth is more important than surface area, so while the big one isn't an actual issue, i would also use something a little smaller and a bunch deeper.

sourpatchkid

Arachnopeon
depth is more important than surface area, so while the big one isn't an actual issue, i would also use something a little smaller and a bunch deeper.
i agree with having a deeper water dish, a 3 or 4 oz deli cup is what I use.
Having a larger water bowl like that would make me worry about a T falling on its abdomen on a hard surface. I always avoid solid sharp decorative stuff.

ALS78

Arachnopeon
Keep in mind this is a very slow growing species, with a low food requirement. There is never a need to feed multiple feeders in one sitting. In fact, to clarify, 3 crickets would be about 6-12 weeks of food for an adult of this species.

Excessive feeding wont hurt, but it will lead directly to a very long fasting and hiding period. And we are talking about a year or more at a time. The heavier you feed, the more boring time you will get from your t.

perfectly normal

It looks fine, its just HUGE.....it could be half as big and I would still consider it to be over sized. But it shouldn't pose any issue as long as you have the room.

completely unnecessary.

A chalcodes can deal with some of the widest temp ranges of any t......an adult can handle temps into the 50s and over 90.

Yeah, pets stores offer terrible advice...usually gotten from a poor care sheet in the back room, and not actual experience. Glad you figured that out and found this forum.

Too me depth is more important than surface area, so while the big one isn't an actual issue, i would also use something a little smaller and a bunch deeper.

perfectly normal

completely unnecessary.

Thanks for all the great advice! I took the rocks and the temp/humidity readers out.
She’s about 3” is that an adult and should we offer food every week or hold off? My daughter is fascinated by this and I was so excited when she asked for a tarantula because my Mom wouldn’t let me have one.

i agree with having a deeper water dish, a 3 or 4 oz deli cup is what I use.
Having a larger water bowl like that would make me worry about a T falling on its abdomen on a hard surface. I always avoid solid sharp decorative stuff.
I just watched T fall onto substrate and it scared the piss out of me! I’m def taking the big water dish out, would this work, it’s 3oz and should I bury it in substrate all the way to the rim and fill it all the way up? Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

ALS78

Arachnopeon
Is this ok for water? (3oz solo cup)
I took the big water dish out as recommended because last night I was watching T and she fell on the substrate I think she’s fine, but she was very active for a few hours last night, right now I can see her in hide and she seems ok but the fall did worry me.

Attachments

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
A lid from decent size pill bottle or a large gatorade/water cap will work as well. Your cup set up will work, I'd fill in dirt to just slightly below the lower cup. You made the right call switching substrate, any wood that is aromatic is typically bad for a T