Is this a sperm web?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Damn. Thanks. I was hoping not. My daughter"s first T and while she deals with loss very maturely (we do animal rescue) I was just hoping she would get another molt. :(
If you find someone who needs a mature male, you could get some of his slings for her to raise, carrying on his legacy.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sperm webb is more white than ither silk which are more transparent. The remains is often a chalk white thick strand! It looks like that in your picture

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
If you find someone who needs a mature male, you could get some of his slings for her to raise, carrying on his legacy.
This in my opinion is just as important of a lesson to learn as the everything dies lesson.

I have offspring from my first tarantula in the hobby and its pretty cool to see his healthy offspring growing up.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
This in my opinion is just as important of a lesson to learn as the everything dies lesson.

I have offspring from my first tarantula in the hobby and its pretty cool to see his healthy offspring growing up.
I would love to do this, but I have little hope it is possible at this point. I have no experience shipping (and would be scared to do so) and I haven't found anyone in this area that even keeps Ts let alone has a mature female of our species.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I would love to do this, but I have little hope it is possible at this point. I have no experience shipping (and would be scared to do so) and I haven't found anyone in this area that even keeps Ts let alone has a mature female of our species.
It's actually not that difficult to package them to survive shipping. The key is to prevent them from bouncing around and to protect them from lengthy exposure to extreme temperatures. To prevent them from bouncing around, you pack them tight into a small container (surrounding the tarantula itself with padding like tissue) and then surround the small container with more padding within the box. Temperature protection is primarily accomplished by shorter shipping times and (ideally) shipping during spring or fall. Heat and cold packs can also help.

The trickiest part is actually coaxing the tarantula into your shipping container; some are more cooperative than others.

@cold blood ships often and may be able to give you some instructions.