is the substrate deep enough?

Tom Servo

Arachnopeon
Heya. I'm setting up an enclosure for my first tarantula; planning in it being an aphonopelma chalcodes I think.
I just wanted to check if the substrate had enough depth or not. I can add more pictures if needed.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Gap shouldn't be bigger than 2x the tarantulas legspan. Falls are a cause of death for some tarantulas. Sub should be much dryer as well.

Tom Servo

Arachnopeon
Right, right. I've got more of the stuff in a Tupperware thing-what's a good way to dry it? Leave it in the sun or just wait? I had to soak it because it came in a brick.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Right, right. I've got more of the stuff in a Tupperware thing-what's a good way to dry it? Leave it in the sun or just wait? I had to soak it because it came in a brick.
If you don't mind the acrid smell, you can bake it at a low temperature. Otherwise, park your car in the sun, crack the windows, spread the coco fiber in a thin layer on a tray, and place the tray in the car. (It gets hotter in the car than outside, even with the windows cracked.)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
If you don't mind the acrid smell, you can bake it at a low temperature. Otherwise, park your car in the sun, crack the windows, spread the coco fiber in a thin layer on a tray, and place the tray in the car. (It gets hotter in the car than outside, even with the windows cracked.)
When you wear shorts and have black leather interior you can tell just how hot the inside of a car can get!

Good suggestion though. How long before you get your T?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Good suggestion though.
We have extremely limited space here, so my husband came up with that as a way of drying out substrate without leaving trays lying around or stinking up the house (in the oven).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oven at 350F or more is the fastest, provided it's not deep. It dries from the surface down basically.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
definitely deeper and a LOT drier. A. Chalcodes is a species from the deserts of arizona here and in their native range, other then during the monsoon season, it is VERY dry and very warm.

plus, depending on the size, id give it atleast an extra 1-2 inches at least for the sub.

Tom Servo

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys- I'll bake the substrate dry and add a few more inches. I don't have a timeframe on this -I wanted the enclosure to be safe and aestheticly pleasing before I jumped the gun. I'm only planing on the one spider so I want it to be as nice a home as possible.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
That's what they all say ;)
Next thing you know you're loitering on the street shaking an empty coffee cup at people for spare change and meeting up in dark alleys with strange men who've got vials of spiderlings lining the inside of their trench coat, passing crumpled ones and grimy quarters with shaking fingers as you eye ball the rest of the vials greedily and wonder how long you'd have to pan handle for a Xenesthis.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Next thing you know you're loitering on the street shaking an empty coffee cup at people for spare change and meeting up in dark alleys with strange men who've got vials of spiderlings lining the inside of their trench coat, passing crumpled ones and grimy quarters with shaking fingers as you eye ball the rest of the vials greedily and wonder how long you'd have to pan handle for a Xenesthis.

That's so detailed, definitely experience there it seems. So how'd that approach work for you? ;)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
That's so detailed, definitely experience there it seems. So how'd that approach work for you? ;)
That's where I was the past two years-- tarantula rehab. The physical/mental ailments are all a cover for the truth. You've found me out!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
strange men who've got vials of spiderlings lining the inside of their trench coat
Ah ah I did for real after the arachnid ban something like that :rofl: but instead of a trench coat I've asked to my taylor to create almost invisible inner pockets in one of my Tabarro using a mixture of wool/cashmere.

101% working... no one can imagine that inside such a dress can exist something like 'pockets' :-s